toopuny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toopuny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help on what resistance training is best for metabolism

I'm 30 lbs overweight and I decided to lose weight and bulk up. I do know that you cannot do that at the same time because fat will not turn into muscle. I also know that in order to bulk up, you need to have caloric surplus, while if you need to lose weight, you need caloric deficit.

I have two options:

OPTION A: Bulk up from being 30 lbs overweight. I need to have caloric surplus to create bigger muscles. The problem is, I do not know how many calories will actually build muscle and how many calories will go to fat. I believe this is gene dependent. And the muscles will not be well defined because there is fat on top of it.

OPTION B: Lose the 30 lbs then start bulking up. In order to lose weight, I need to create caloric deficit. My issue here is that there is no way for me to know if by losing calories, is it coming from fat or muscle? I believe this is gene dependent as well.

I choose OPTION B. I have to change my mindset that I will not be bulking up while I do my resistance training to lose weight. Because of caloric deficit, I will not be building any muscle or fat. When I lose those 30 lbs, I will not know how much of it is fat or muscle.

My question is: While I try to lose weight, which type of training will stimulate the metabolism more, hypertrophy or strength (rep ranges) training. I do have my 1RM on most of my muscle groups. Thanks for your help.

bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bacardixxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am not so sure about the building muscle part but losing weight you are going to want to make sure you lose the weight slowly like 1/2lb -2lbs max per week, depends on how much muscle you are willing to lose for the time it takes. The slower you lose weight, the higher the percentage of the loss would be fat. But 1/2lb for 30 lbs will take you 60 weeks so that is very slow process, you may want to do 1lb or 1.5lbs.

Regarding strength training, I don't think its very good at all for burning calories. The amount you are talking is very small compared to if you just did some jogging and sprints or high intensity tabata rounds or something like that. 10-20 minutes of high intensity cardio is going to be much better at speeding up your metabolism than weight lifting during weight loss, not to say you shouldn't continue to lift weights, you definitely should but I wouldn't focus on fat burning there as opposed to helping keep muscle and strength you have during your caloric deficit.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    2 parts here

1- diet. for losing or gaining weight.

2- workouts, for cardio endurance or muscle building.

lose first, then bulk after. this way you will know what sort of foundation you have to work with. Its like building a second story on a house without first taking a look at the structure to see if it can bear the load.

YIts only 30 lbs so it wont take forever. you can use this time lifting weights and still gain strength while doing it. Plus it will get your muscles used to the movements.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I suggest you forget about genes and start lifting and studying diet. Don't mean to sound like a wiseguy, but you've built a wall in your mind that will be tough to climb. At this point, anything will work.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by toopuny View Post
    My question is: While I try to lose weight, which type of training will stimulate the metabolism more, hypertrophy or strength (rep ranges) training. I do have my 1RM on most of my muscle groups. Thanks for your help.
    The only way to "stimulate" your metabolism is to add metabolically-active tissue to your body---muscle. You can best do that by following a basic bodybuilding program.

As far as dropping fat while building muscle, it's possible to do both at the same time to an extent if you are a beginner and if you have a relatively large amount of fat to lose.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

toopuny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toopuny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, I am doing dieting and resistance training. I'm not that athletic and probably the reason why I cannot do high intensity aerobics. I've already lost about 40 lbs and I need to lose 30 lbs more. I'm getting there. I just want to know which will boost the metabolism better, strength training or hypertrophy training.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The only way to "stimulate" your metabolism is to add metabolically-active tissue to your body---muscle. You can best do that by following a basic bodybuilding program.

As far as dropping fat while building muscle, it's possible to do both at the same time to an extent if you are a beginner and if you have a relatively large amount of fat to lose.
    I do agree on this. Muscles stimulate metabolism long after the training. So more muscle, the more metabolism is stimulated. So if I choose OPTION A in my first post, the fat will eventually go away.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes, I am doing dieting and resistance training. I'm not that athletic and probably the reason why I cannot do high intensity aerobics. I've already lost about 40 lbs and I need to lose 30 lbs more. I'm getting there. I just want to know which will boost the metabolism better, strength training or hypertrophy training.
    Either training focus will work.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is like asking which sort of carbon spoiler to fit to a Ford Fiesta. The difference between 5 rep sets and 8 rep sets is seriously not going to impact on what you are doing as a newbie lifter. It is all about your diet right now. Choosing a 5x5 newbie program or a 3 x 8 newbie program will make no discernible difference at all IMHO.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do agree on this. Muscles stimulate metabolism long after the training. So more muscle, the more metabolism is stimulated. So if I choose OPTION A in my first post, the fat will eventually go away.
    I would not bank on this.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

So, if you are in my shoes, what are you going to do?

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stick with what is working for you and be patient.

edit: And read/research ways to stabilize your lifestyle after you reach your weight goal, eg, weight training, diet, nutrition, etc.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eat less
    Lift more

You don't need the lifting to loose weight, nor will it make you loose weight a whole lot faster.

What it does is makes you look better and feel better, it's about being strong and healthy. So read the stickies on nutrition and find a beginner program like all pros and do it. Your body will respond.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think option B is the better choice.
    Lose the extra fat, and see what kind of "base" you're starting to work with. And you can (and should) be lifting the whole time you're working in losing the fat.
    So when the time comes to start building in earnest, you're already familiar around the gym, have a basic knowledge of the exercises, etc

Good Luck
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    read this article .

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ss-part-1.html

Complete beginners, who haven’t built any real muscle mass in the first place don’t have to worry much about muscle loss while dieting (just about any training will maintain it).

44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10) 44aussie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    I think option B is the better choice.
    Lose the extra fat, and see what kind of "base" you're starting to work with. And you can (and should) be lifting the whole time you're working in losing the fat.
    So when the time comes to start building in earnest, you're already familiar around the gym, have a basic knowledge of the exercises, etc

Good Luck
    This is exactly what i did, not so much through choice though. Just the cards i was dealt after a seperation. Personally i would do a 5 x 5 strength program as i believe it better to build and maintain strength as we get older.

jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayhawkclint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would lose the weight. I am a noob that lost 30 lbs of fat and gained about 5 lbs of muscle over a 5 month period doing a 5x5 full body workout 4 days a week on a calorie deficit. Lose the weight and see what's underneath, then make a decision.

Regardless of which decision, get your heart rate up and lift heavy things.