burnour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Supplements and Hair Loss

I have thinning hair and according to one of my friends and a few places on the net, creatine and protein shakes that contain branch chain amino acids increase hair loss, this is copied from 4hairloss-help.com :

?Nutritional? Contributors to Hair Loss

Too much has already been written about pills and potions that promise to halt hair loss. Most of the claims in such articles and ads are unsubstantiated. On the other hand, not enough has been said about products on the market that contribute to hair loss, supplements and pills that many people take, unaware of their side effects.

Let?s look at a few of the key offenders:

* Growth hormone supplements
    Growth hormone supplements increase the testosterone level, which increases DHT (a hormone that destroys hair follicles when present in the system in large amounts). DHT can cause hair loss and baldness.

* Creatine
    Creatine is tauted for increasing muscle mass, but it also increases testosterone. In the presence of high testosterone levels, too much DHT is produced in the body, resulting in unwanted hair loss.

* Certain protein shakes
    Certain protein shakes that are not organic have growth hormone in them, which causes high DHT levels. Too much DHT destroys the hair follicles needed for a full head of hair. For a protein shake to not affect hair loss, it should say ?growth hormone free? on the primary label. ?Branch amino acids? should NOT appear on the ingredients label.

What do others think about this??

Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lol at BCAA not to be in protein
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigPoppaPump84 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    wtf...

davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) davidallen03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At the ripe old age of 22 my hair is thinning also, but I can say I don't think it is any worse with Creatine and Protein. I think if you are losing your hair, you are just doomed to lose your hair and you aren't going to stop it or speed it up for that matter.
    Nope.

Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by burnour View Post
    I have thinning hair and according to one of my friends and a few places on the net, creatine and protein shakes that contain branch chain amino acids increase hair loss, this is copied from 4hairloss-help.com :

Too much has already been written about pills and potions that promise to halt hair loss. Most of the claims in such articles and ads are unsubstantiated. On the other hand, not enough has been said about products on the market that contribute to hair loss, supplements and pills that many people take, unaware of their side effects.

Growth hormone supplements increase the testosterone level, which increases DHT (a hormone that destroys hair follicles when present in the system in large amounts). DHT can cause hair loss and baldness.

* Creatine
    Creatine is tauted for increasing muscle mass, but it also increases testosterone. In the presence of high testosterone levels, too much DHT is produced in the body, resulting in unwanted hair loss.

* Certain protein shakes
    Certain protein shakes that are not organic have growth hormone in them, which causes high DHT levels. Too much DHT destroys the hair follicles needed for a full head of hair. For a protein shake to not affect hair loss, it should say ?growth hormone free? on the primary label. ?Branch amino acids? should NOT appear on the ingredients label.

ridiculous stuff.. who wrote it? /

http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/experiences.html

If you look at no.7 it's about hairloss.

The protein one was a bit strange because I had never heard about that at all. Has anyone experienced hairloss with creatine?

DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i'm young with thinning hair as well but i haven't noticed creatine to be an excellerater?
    NEW Stacking the **** out of Universal/Animal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=156518781#post156518781

Shock Therapy/Storm/M-Stak Log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=144048361#post144048361

Registered User ChristianMcNeely's Avatar
    ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristianMcNeely has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm sorry but that site is ridiculous. there are no references to anything scientific whatsoever...... Joe Schmo, MD doesn't count either.

Fair enough - I just bought a batch of the stuff to get looking cool before summer! Cheers for the replies

nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    finasteride solves the problem so why bother...

revenant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revenant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revenant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revenant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revenant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revenant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revenant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Everyone knows that test boosters increase DHT and could potentially accelerate the hair loss process. I'm not to sure about protein powders w/ BCAA's though, I wouldn't think that would have an effect. Some protein powders have IGF-1 precursors, so mabye that's where they're getting that from. Usually it's such a small amount that it won't even show up on a piss test. As far as the creatine goes...I suppose it could cause a slight increase in DHT, but at the same time it's boosting ATP levels (something i've read that promotes cell growth and essentially may actually be good for your hair). Now obviously prohormornes and even stronger formulas can cause hairloss side effects...just read the back of a Halodrol 50 box sometime.

I took a hormonal supplement (doctor prescribed) for 6 months back in 2006 for acne and that caused my hair to change texture and begin to thin out everywhere. Once I got off of it it took almost another 7-8 months for my hair to get back to normal texture and stop thinning. But, then again what I took was a hormonal supplement...not a simple protein powder.

From past experience I've learned that most people on here laugh if you bring up anything about supplements and hair loss, but everyones body reacts differently. Hell, they even say stress can cause hair loss.

If your don't notice your hair thinning any faster than it usually would, I would keep taking your protein powder and/or creatines. Most hair loss topic questions come from younger guys (18-early 20's) who are just starting to workout and at the same time at a stage in their life where hair loss can begin. Sometimes this results in a false blame being put on the supplements, when it should indeed be blamed on genetics. Your 34 though, so if it's just starting to thin out a little now, you're probably in alot better shape than most people .
    Last edited by revenant; 02-14-2008 at 05:21 AM.

MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think thats a load of crap about protein and creatine. That means you would have to stop eating meat, fish, chicken and eggs and just give up bodybuilding. Whey supps do not increase growth hormones, and creatine doesnt raise your test. Were did this source come from, its a load of garbage. When you said BCAAs thats going too far and now you have me paranoid, im already using Rogaine to maintain my hair and have just bought some BCAAs and plan on using them more often.

Where did you get this garbage from and who wrote it?

What I can tell you is Tribulis will definatly make your hair thin and fall out in some people. When ever I use it it seem like my hair line significantly receeds in weeks.
    Last edited by MegaPump; 02-14-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rootoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nunes View Post
    finasteride solves the problem so why bother...
    Personal experience?

From what I understand, propecia doesn't help the hairline.... which I could use.
    Word.

MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by revenant View Post
    E Some protein powders have IGF-1 precursors, so mabye that's where they're getting that from. Usually it's such a small amount that it won't even show up on a piss test.
    Do you think my whey may contribute to hair lose or thinning ? ASNs HP 100

Ingredients: NANO Technology processed 100% whey protein hydrolysate
    [Growth Factor Extract]
    ( comprising isolated peptides -
    Immunoglobulins: IgA, IgG, IgM
    Growth Factors: Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1)
    Insulin-like Growth Factor-2 (IGF-2)
    Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
    Transforming Growth Factor-beta (TGF-b)
    Fibroblast Growth Factor
    Hormones: Relaxin
    Proteins: Lactoglobulins, Alpha-Lactoglobulin, Beta-Lactoglobulin
    Lactalbumin: Alpha-Lactalbumin, Beta-Lactalbumin
    Lactomucin Immunoglobulins (Antibodies)
    Tetrapeptides: Lactoferrin
    Enzymes: Lactoperoxidase, Lysozyme, Proteoses/Peptones
    Approximately 24% Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs, i.e. Isoleucine, Leucine and Valine) - this is the highest concentration of BCAAs of any single Protein. )

Here a link to it. http://asn-nutrition.com/hp100.htm Its been tested by the CSIRO as being 4 times better than ASTs VP2. Its basiclly a 100% hyrolysed whey. The company as a $10,000 reward up for any supplement company that can prove that there protein is better. Its been unclaimed for the past 5 years!

Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michael M is on a distinguished road. (+10)

* Creatine

* Certain protein shakes

Creatine increases testosterone therefore it increases DHT? Who new steak led to male pattern baldness?

"Certian protein shakes" have gorwth hormone in them? Maybe that's a new direction for post workout supplementation: WPI+BCAA+Creatine+Growth Hormone. Lookout Roger Clemens.

I love these threads.

ls1ashley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm with Revenant

I'm with Revenant. I think any hair loss related to supps and working out is largely timing and coincidence. My hair-line started receeding in my early 20s, very similar to when I started working out. I know it wasn't supps though because I didn't start supps until recently. They have not caused any change in my hair line since.

If you are worried about it, go see a dermatolgist, and get some Propecia. It shuts down the DHT generation in your body to the best of my knowledge. I'm taking it.

cwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been taking creatine off and on for like 6 years. I took it for like a year straight at one point. I just recently grew my hair out after having shaved my head for like 5 years and I still have a full head of hair with no receding hair line. So in my experience creatine causes NO hair loss. The protein causing hair loss is just a joke. The food we eat has protein in it for Gods sake. Anyway, if you're losing your hair I say just shave it. One of my buddies is my age(24) and has pretty much nothing on the top. But yet he refuses to cut the back. He has a skullet and it looks ridiculous. He doesn't really have the nice round head to be shaved like I do, but it would still look waaaaay better than the skullet he has now does.
    "Bad things don't happen to you because you have bad luck. Bad things happen to you because you're a dumb ass!" - Red Foreman

Originally Posted by MegaPump View Post
    Do you think my whey may contribute to hair lose or thinning ? ASNs HP 100

Ingredients: NANO Technology processed 100% whey protein hydrolysate
    [Growth Factor Extract]
    ( comprising isolated peptides -
    Immunoglobulins: IgA, IgG, IgM
    Growth Factors: Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1)
    Insulin-like Growth Factor-2 (IGF-2)
    Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
    Transforming Growth Factor-beta (TGF-b)
    Fibroblast Growth Factor
    Hormones: Relaxin
    Proteins: Lactoglobulins, Alpha-Lactoglobulin, Beta-Lactoglobulin
    Lactalbumin: Alpha-Lactalbumin, Beta-Lactalbumin
    Lactomucin Immunoglobulins (Antibodies)
    Tetrapeptides: Lactoferrin
    Enzymes: Lactoperoxidase, Lysozyme, Proteoses/Peptones
    Approximately 24% Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs, i.e. Isoleucine, Leucine and Valine) - this is the highest concentration of BCAAs of any single Protein. )
    I dont think this will cause hair lose but who knows. It couldnt raise GH beyond what training does and I only have it post workout now and maybe twice in the week outside the PW for a total of 5-6 a week. Problem is I was taking it 2-3 times a day for a while. I could only guess but I wouldnt think it would ? Or would it ? Im thinking it may not help it, but I dont know, I ll ask my docter.

* Creatine

* Certain protein shakes

Ok I found the page this came off. Half the **** you read on the internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt> I think this is a case of "filler". I think there may be some truth to some of it and makes sense but I wouldnt say its fact. Growth hormone and testosterone supplements may be offenders, I also found the bit on fat burners interesting and informative but I dont think they are big offenders unless theres a huge jump in metabolism up and down, up and down. The bit where he says is protein powders arnt organic they ave groth hormone in them I dont understand, and I need to find out about these BCAAs. How are BCAAs manufactured.

Are growth hormones classed as IGF1 and IGF2 ? Maybe they can raise DHT in this case.

Forgot to add, heres the web page http://4hairloss-help.com/index.php?s=+supplements

Originally Posted by MegaPump View Post
    Half the **** you read on the internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt[/url]
    Did I say half the ****, I meant to say EVERYTHING you read on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt!