Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000)

People born with birth defects, deformities, etc (serious)

Before I make this post, I wanted you guys to know I have sympathy and mad respect for people born with deformities and birth defects who make the best of their lives. I don't hate them, or wish they were dead, if that's what you think I'm getting at through this post.

My question is regarding ethics; why do people feel the need to make these people grow and live in society, despite their defects? Why don't they abort the person before they are born?

Personally, I can't stand but feel that every day for them must be a struggle, one that they do not deserve to go through. For example, in my university there is a student who has no arms & legs, and he has been moving in a wheelchair all his life, with a dog guiding him everywhere.

Let's be serious here - that kid is missing out on the vast majority of things that make life enjoyable - no matter how successful he is in college, is there any chance he will ever live a happy life?

If (hypothetically) I was to be born as dead, blind, or mute, for example, I would much rather be aborted. Is it not torture to keep these people alive?

I decided to make this thread after seeing another thread in which a girl was born with no face. That has to be tough. Why would anyone want to live like that?

(serious)(no negs please)

aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000) aznxdgnz is just really nice. (+1000)
    i like living.

jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jclarsen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    kill all the old people too! who wants to be old? Not me!
    rep back +350

Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's the mind that matters. People can be born without arms or legs and live full lives. There was a guy with no arms or legs on Larry King Live a couple years ago. He was a wrestling champion in his college and he was dating a hot woman. His personality was amazing upbeat, happy, and very smart.

I found the link to his website - http://www.kmaynard.com/index.html
    Last edited by Baseball_Guy; 02-09-2008 at 07:14 PM.

SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000) SamsoniteP is a complete loser! (-2000)
    because not all people feel sorry for themselves??

bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Life and happiness is what you make it. No matter your condition. Look at Stephen Hawkins (i think that's his name) or Helen Keller or Beethoven. You really want to deprive them of the accomplishments they may have in the future, or of others they may help with their achievements? I can see where you're coming from, but it seems kind of selfish and presumptuous for us to "put them down" or abort them because they may have an "undesirable" feature.

HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Baseball_Guy View Post
    It's the mind that matters. People can be born without arms or legs and live full lives. There was a guy with no arms or legs on Larry King Live a couple years ago. He was a wrestling champion in his college and he was dating a hot woman. His personality was amazing upbeat, happy, and very smart.
    his name is kyle maynard look him up
    once you wrestled, everything else in life is easy
    -DAN GABLE

Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yea I guess that's true... but the fact is, they still suffer a lot, needlessly.
    In a way it's very wrong to abort them, but in another way it would save them a lifetime of suffering... idk if I would want to live if I had no arms or legs. But I guess that's because I've already lived life with them. Hmm..

plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plaman88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    probably because then everyone has physical ability just to be taken for granted, then taken to waste, keeps us on our toes i guess. I'm thankful for being fairly normal.

HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CrazyIndian View Post
    Yea I guess that's true... but the fact is, they still suffer a lot, needlessly.
    i read kyle maynard's biography and he lived a fulfilling and happy life. so its not all of them
    once you wrestled, everything else in life is easy
    -DAN GABLE

Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Little_Tarzan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow strong fully limbed kid got owned

Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I kinda agree with the OP. Like I would watch the TV show "Little People, Big World" and say to myself if I was them I would just kill myself. I support euthunsia and abortion. Whenever I see deformed people I get this terrible sinking feeling when I imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes.

TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000) TricepsNGirls is just really nice. (+1000)
    There's optional genetic and other forms of pre-natal screening for concerned parents. It is a legitimate issue. Are you, as parents, prepared to raise an inevitably disabled child? Do you have the time and money? Are you willing to bring into life an individual you know will suffer pain and/or social exile for the rest of their life?

The list goes on. Then, to complicate things, you have the many millions of people who become disabled and disfigured after having lead a normal life for many years.

I'm sorry Misc Jackson bizmark007's Avatar
    bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    happiness is completely different for each individual person,who are we "normal people" tell the handicapped that they're not happy? I saw this guy on tv who was born with no legs,he still lead a normal life, doing physical activities independently and has a great personality,he also travels the world taking beautiful photos. He's had much more of a life than me and I have no defects.He gets high off life,why would you want to kill him?
    ASK BEAVIS I GET NOTHIN BUT HEAD!!!!

..The Society..

Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Red_Dragon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bizmark007 View Post
    happiness is completely different for each individual person,who are we "normal people" tell the handicapped that they're not happy? I saw this guy on tv who was born with no legs,he still lead a normal life, doing physical activities independently and has a great personality,he also travels the world taking beautiful photos. He's had much more of a life than me and I have no defects.He gets high off life,why would you want to kill him?
    Cause deep inside his hurtin'

brb, being Midwestern Shortbus84's Avatar
    Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shortbus84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Little_Tarzan View Post
    wow strong fully limbed kid got owned

yeah, but he's got like 15 extra pounds of muscle on him, or W/E a forarm weighs.
    Body Building-The only sport where total failure=success

I Always rep back brah!

BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HeLiu View Post
    i read kyle maynard's biography and he lived a fulfilling and happy life. so its not all of them
    yes but dont you think that deep inside he wished that he was normal with no disabilities? He passes his day with a smile on his face and will seem to be happy but i dont think that he is TRULY happy.

bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Red_Dragon View Post
    Cause deep inside his hurtin'

Originally Posted by shankii View Post
    yes but dont you think that deep inside he wished that he was normal with no disabilities? He passes his day with a smile on his face and will seem to be happy but i dont think that he is TRULY happy.
    So you guys have spoken to them and had a deep heart-to-heart conversation with them? You know what goes on in their minds?

Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Polack42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my friend hasnt walked a day in his life... and is stuck in a wheel chair. sure he'd like to be able to walk and run and jump and everything, but he doesnt sit there and bitch about it. he realizes that crying over it wont make him hop up out of his chair and start walking... so he just accepts it and goes on with his life. he's not "suffering", he's a happy kid and lives a good life. i guarentee u that he wouldnt want to be aborted. life is wat u make of it. there are people born without defects that have more "suffering" than those with defects.
    Expectation is the breeding ground of miracles

That's my point exactly.

I think another thing that I didn't really explain will in the first post.. I'm talking about people born at birth with these defects, not people later in life who acquire them.

When you have the chance to abort a baby that has no face, or no arms/legs, why not abort, and have another baby in hopes that it will be normal?

WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500)
    Am I the only one who believes the absolute worst life in the world (aka abused poor mental gay idk add all the negatives you want..but still alive) is better than being dead!?!?!?!

my friend hasnt walked a day in his life... and is stuck in a wheel chair. sure he'd like to be able to walk and run and jump and everything, but he doesnt sit there and bitch about it. he realizes that crying over it wont make him hop up out of his chair and start walking... so he just accepts it and goes on with his life. he's not "suffering", he's a happy kid and lives a good life. i guarentee u that he wouldnt want to be aborted. life is wat u make of it. there are people born without defects that have more "suffering" than those with defects.
    I have to admit, this is an exception.. sure, not being able to walk is a big deal, but it's not nearly as bad as other birth defects, such as blindness, no arms/legs, no face, mental retardation, down syndrome, etc.
    I would still want to live if I was in a wheelchair.

The extreme defects is what I'm talking about though; the ones I've listed above.

WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by shankii View Post
    Is anyone TRULY happy though? I feel I have an amazing life...but it could be so much better..I could be rich, or I could be a professional athlete, or an actor, or anything...I feel like I am content with my situation but not TRULY happy because I will always envy those that have it better than myself.

I'm sorry Misc Jackson bizmark007's Avatar
    bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bizmark007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Keep in mind he's never had any legs to lose. They were never amputated or brutally cut off. So why would he be sad he doesn't have legs? He walks fine with his arms or skateboard. It's like you WANT him to be depressed so you can feel better about yourself.
    ASK BEAVIS I GET NOTHIN BUT HEAD!!!!

..The Society..

That's my point exactly.

I think another thing that I didn't really explain will in the first post.. I'm talking about people born at birth with these defects, not people later in life who acquire them.

When you have the chance to abort a baby that has no face, or no arms/legs, why not abort, and have another baby in hopes that it will be normal?
    But why snuff out that life? If you have the love to bring that child into the world in the first place and the finances to care for them (if not enough money, people will adopt) why rob the world of them or them of the world?

Originally Posted by bizmark007 View Post
    Keep in mind he's never had any legs to lose. They were never amputated or brutally cut off. So why would he be sad he doesn't have legs? He walks fine with his arms or skateboard. It's like you WANT him to be depressed so you can feel better about yourself.
    Exactly....these guys are making it sound like they know these people personally and that they just know they'd prefer to be dead. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but you really shouldn't judge people if you don't know them.

BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000) BO$$ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bttrthnb4 View Post
    So you guys have spoken to them and had a deep heart-to-heart conversation with them? You know what goes on in their minds?
    Dont you think it brings him down when he looks around to find people with perfectly normal arms and legs? He asks himself why hes born this way and what hes done to deserve this.
    Of course the reason he seems happy is that he has to face the fact that this is the way he will stay for the rest of his life. But hes not truly happy inside.
    Although this is just my opinion and i could be very wrong.

You think he feels indifferent towards the vast majoritiy of the human race that CAN walk? Let's face it, growing up your first twenty or so years isn't the most pleasant thing when you have defects. Some people our age are very cruel, and only in the late teens do the majority of people learn to respect others and treat them the same as everyone else.

Your point is moot; just because he never had legs doesn't mean you should say oh it's okay, he can be happy without his legs because he never had them. He can be happy without arms, sight, hearing, just because he never had them. That's wrong in my opinion..

Wishin he was taller givemeabreakman's Avatar
    givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50) givemeabreakman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow. So you are saying if people do not pass a certain standard, we should kill them?
    #1. Most birth defects are not detectable until a few hours after birth. So if you 'kill' them as you have so suggested, it would be murder.
    #2. They have just as much right to live as we do. They may not live a fully function/happy-go-life, but they have just as much right to live as you.
    #3. Do you want to be the one who 'kills' them? Or should we have a university course of "How to children kill birth defect?". Or should the parents do it?

God. what a stupid thread.
    Jays 09 | Watch&Believe

4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4nicate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    (serious)(no negs please)
    Negged.