AFireInside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I need Motivation and a Good Diet

Im around 6' 195 lbs and im overweight. I go the gym, but i dont have a workout partner so i can hit up the weight benches so i just go with the free weight machines and dumbells but i feel like i am getting nothing done. I dont work on my 6 pack because my stomach is flabby and i really feel as if i was born without stomahc muscles becuase NEVER in my life have i ever seen them. I dont know what to eat. i tell myself every time i go to the cafeteria not to eat nasty but still i eat burgers and salads with ranch. everyday i tell myself how i want to be fit and look good in a pair of board shorts but i feel as if im getting nowhere. I am really in a **** hole right now and i need some help. without the smart ass remarks cause i know some people will be giving them, can someone please help! i added some pics of my current state that im in
    Attached Images
    "Nothing Easy Is Ever Worth A Damn"
    -Woody Hayes (Ohio State Buckeyes 1951-1978)
    -5 National Championships
    -13 Big Ten Titles

tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10) tanizaki is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    None of us can give you motivation.

sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sklub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just started body for life! I used it a few years ago with a lot of success!
    (It's a 12 week program)
    bodyforlife.com
    I usually look at other people's transformations for inspiration.
    Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.

When you reach the top, keep climbing.

littleboots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Jack LaLanne! 'nuff said!

Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I asked the same question you did on 1-7-2008... below are some of the responses....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6493901

hope this helps!

Originally Posted by b22 View Post
    Motivation has to come from within. Don't get discouraged if your progress seems slow at the beginning and my favorite is remember that "Rome wasn't built in a day." With enough time and effort im sure you will be where you want to be soon enough
    Originally Posted by TheNormalMan View Post
    Exactly as he said, if you don't have the motivation to get started already inside you, nothing we say will make you want to bust your ass. All we can do is help you when your motivation is feeling down and keep your ass in gear but that's about it.
    Originally Posted by LoudGoatLS2 View Post
    You already have the motivation. You'll do it!
    Originally Posted by Metal.Wrath View Post
    When I first started to drop the lbs, pics of others who were doing it motivated me to get off my ass and do it too!

Here's me going from 255 to 234 in 35 days.

Take pics of yourself relaxed now and take some in a month or so. Other people's progress helps, but your own progress pics is an amazing motivator!
    Originally Posted by sbbc View Post
    figure out your calorie requirements, keep a diet journal, exercise regularly.. motivation be damned.. it's all about consistency. Although I guess my motivation was not wanting to be fat and all the things that come with it.

More confidence, less fatigue, maybe soon I can go to the beach for the first time ever, less embarassment in a light shirt on windy days (hehe), the usual stuff.

I didn't really get anywhere until I started a diet journal to keep track of calories and such (the -500 deficit rule).. then the weight loss just happened.

Don't check the scale daily, don't try to eyeball progress daily, you'll just get discouraged since it's not a fast process. I did notice my waste size dropping because I had to manually drill something like half a dozen new holes in my belt over 8-12 months. I could probably buy a size 34 or 32 now... used to be a snug 38 or 40...

Use fitday.com because a paper diet journal is tedious.
    Originally Posted by Max.Power View Post
    for me
    my best motivation throughout my diet was looking at the scales every week and seeing a drop in weight and as the weeks go by the change in my appearance
    just made me want to keep going
    Originally Posted by kingofdanger View Post
    I agree with this. Also, put shirtless pictures of yourself on your desktop. I'm at my computer a lot, and seeing my fat ass on the screen many times a day kept me motivated at the beginning.
    Originally Posted by Chris187 View Post
    Try to create 'mini' goals that will you help you achieve your ultimate goal...little milestones along the way will keep you motivated to keep working hard! Good Luck.
    Originally Posted by Huffy2345 View Post
    My biggest motivator is small steps using a list or log. I create a list I want to get done that week for example in 5 days I want my body begging for a break. On my off day I create a new list to switch it up so I dont get a rut to form. Seems to work for me. Also dont set year goals. I find those to be depressing because they seem so far off so set every other week or even monthly goals and push yourself to get them.
    Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
    dont be a bitch do it!!!!!!!!

atleast that works for me lol.

good luck sir! its not too hard just gotta flip that switch in your head where you see excercising as much of a routine as taking a dump, and stop seeing it as "work" its easy to stay motivated! juststick with it and find what works for you.
    Originally Posted by consciouschef View Post
    Whenever you're thinking about skipping a workout just think:
    "Even though I don't want to work out now, it's only X minutes of pain/fatigue/etc., and hours of feeling good afterwords."

If you're thinking of eating something extra and going over your caloric intake for the day, think:
    "Yeah, this food will be great right now, but when I wake up tomorrow and the enjoyment of eating is long gone, I will be pissed at myself."

It's saved me many, many times.
    Originally Posted by Cluber View Post
    I would definately go with the "mini goals" as someone suggested. I used to be a 340+lb guy, I am down to 247.5, been kicking ass this last week. Damn holidays got me up a bit lol.

I still have a ways to go, but you know what? It's ok, I don't need to be totaly ripped by so and so date, especially at our age, make it more of a lifestyle change. I would maybe start at 30 to 50lb intervals. Set adate and keep track of your progress.

Lift well, and do your cardio, Main thing is...Yup you guessed it, diet. LOL I started with a High protein, moderate fat, low carb diet and it worked well. I just went back to it and is working well again.

You obviously want to get fit, and at our age, it is a good time to start. BTW, my biggest motivation is my wife and my little girl. She is a fireplug, non stop energy and she doesn't even eat all that much sugar. Must of got it from her mom lol

Good luck, and if you need any help send me a pm.
    Originally Posted by SkinnyDip View Post
    You have done it before. Just last year when you were posting you were 277, now look in the left corner, doesnt it feel good to see you are 260? It would feel better @ 240, but you gotta work to get there.
    Originally Posted by Dracoy View Post
    How I stay motivated is that I utilize both my hobbies.

1) Weight lifting.
    2) Making websites.

I keep an online journal for myself, of things I learn and an update on all my progress. Havn't told my family about it yet, want to show them in a month =)

If you're curious about it, you can check it out here.

http://yanyanxu.com/experiment/
    Originally Posted by iladelph View Post
    3 Step System:

(1)Take off your ****, Look in a mirror
    (2) Grab fat with two hands
    (3) Repetitively shake and jiggle fat until you start to cry

= Instant Motivation!

All jokes aside, a lot of good techniques have been posted here. But everyone is motivated by different Stimuli. Only YOU can determine what motivates YOU.
    Originally Posted by RP788 View Post
    x2. you gotta split it up man. your final goal is too far away and will seem impossible when your down in the dumps. map out your goals in one month chunks. oh, and keep a journal with the date, your weight, and your bf%. I also WROTE down 10 reasons why I want to lose the weight.

That piece of paper I wrote it all down on is seriously one of the most important things I own now. It just reminds me of all the strength and determination I had. Its kept me from going astray many times. Do it! I guarantee you will thank me in a year!
    Originally Posted by sendoh23 View Post
    Motivation usually comes from gers or humiliation.
    We can't give ya motivation, it comes from within yourself.

At times, you just wanna prove to others that you can accomplish something which they think you can't and let them see that you can live better
    Originally Posted by rsheele View Post
    my main motivation has always been my mirror. It never lies to make you feel better.
    Originally Posted by Tobey77 View Post
    My suggestion.

Either get someone who you trust 100% and confide in, tell him/her everything every thought and have her motivate you.

Or, screw all, get angry, do this for YOU and you alone. Think of all the babes who will look your way when your fit

Also, you got my full support, you WILL do this, no maybies no perhaps. You WILL SUCCEED! you hear?
    Originally Posted by Brand New Hero View Post
    YOU NEED MOTIVATION?
    BUY A POSTER!

But seriously, all you gotta know is getting cut is alot better than being fat. I know. I've been on both sides of the fence. Chicks dig un-fattenized guys. So you will have motivation, unless you're like really ugly and sh*t.
    Originally Posted by need2compete View Post
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/transf137.htm

It is hard as hell to get started.. Sounds silly but I kept pictures around the house of figure girls I admired.

I highly recommend a coach. I know I COULD NOT have done it with out him!! It is a lot cheaper than a PT, but you still check in weekly so it holds you accountable!
    Originally Posted by RP788 View Post
    Well, I just wrote all this stuff down one day after I was made fun of in front of friends for being fat. I was really upset and just kind of released my frustration on paper. You don't have to keep writing your goals/ reasons over again every day, but you should at least read over them often to keep you from going astray. Also, keep adding reasons why you want to w/o as they pop into your head.

oh, and MOST importantly...i cant believe i forgot this. right underneath your 10 reasons and goals, keep a weekly track of your weight and bf% (if you can get it measured). Whenever Im in the dumps, I look at the progress I have made, and it seems fckin retarded to stop now and waste all Ive done.

SO....summary...

get a list, write a specific SHORT TERM goal down (ie. 5 pounds in 3 weeks). Write 10 reasons why you want to lose the weight (make it very personal, ie. no more being made fun of by that guy at work). And then write down a weekly, or bi-weekly journal of weightloss with the date, weight, and bf%. Good luck man, this journal helped me lose about 50 pounds. Make it happen bro.

AFireInside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thank alot korey1977 that has given me some motivation. i decided to browse the bodybuilding website some more for articles and to see how people are doing. i just need to to talk to a nutritionist or something to figure out what i need to eat
    "Nothing Easy Is Ever Worth A Damn"
    -Woody Hayes (Ohio State Buckeyes 1951-1978)
    -5 National Championships
    -13 Big Ten Titles