lsc91se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Interesting phenomenon in curling

Hello, Thanks in advance for any advice

Here is the deal:

I have been doing a lot of curling in the past 3 months, and I am up to approx 115 pounds. I have ran into a rather weird phenomenon however. I will end my straightbar curl set with 90 to 95 lbs x 6. I am fatigued by time I am done, to the point I can't do one more straight curl, I simply can't get the weight back up. However, If I have a friend assist me get the bar back up, I can do negative reps for atleast 7 more times (directly after normal curling, no rest), holding at the hardest part for a while. When I do the negative part slowly, it seems like the weight is light to me. I tried putting more weight on the bar, and I am able to take 7 to 8 seconds to lower 125 to 130 pounds, I can do one of thoes and I am pretty much spent. Is that typical? I have heard that when you can do a lot more in a negative, it shows that you probably have more muscle then your using. Is that true?

Registered User randall_truscot's Avatar
    randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500)
    this is a powerlifting form, dont think alot of ppl in here curl. mabe in the teen form they'll know, there the curl masters.
    Kirk Karwoski Wanna Be

lsc91se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by randall_truscot
    this is a powerlifting form, dont think alot of ppl in here curl. mabe in the teen form they'll know, there the curl masters.
    Ok I realized that, but I figured it would be worth a shot. The same thing that happens with me in the curl holds true in benching as well. In my case its not as big of a diffrence though.

Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zac Robinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is normal, when we raise the weight it is called the concentric contraction, when we lower the weight it is the eccentric contraction, we are a lot stronger on the eccentric, therefore after a few reps you are fatigued on the concentric but still have some juice in the tank on the eccentric, it doesn't matter what exercise you are performing it applies to all. However, don't do these negatives too often because they are more demanding on the muscles and cause more trauma (I know this is usually a good thing), but it will lead to more delayed onset muscle soreness and can also lead to overtraining....hope this helps!