JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Seated Military Press vs. Incline Bench

I'm asking about seated because I want to know which is better if you were to take the standing part (working the core) out of the equation of military presses. I realize if you were to even do military presses they should be standing, but I just wanna know from an upper body (shoulder/upperchest) standpoint, which one is better?

(This is a question geared towards the 5x5 which includes either/or exercise.)

Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Military press allows for more overall shoulder work (front and side deltoids), plus your core is worked. It even hits your chest. I'd do military press over incline.
    Screw my logs, I won't post one up until I know I'll be back in the game for sure!

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO incline bench is using your shoulders alot more than your chest......

incline bench hits your front delt very hard......

military will work both front and side delts

JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Military hits your chest?

And why is incline in the 5x5 is military seem better? I was guessing that inclcine (if you take the standing part out of the equation) were better because they actually worked that chest/shoulder area better for some reason. The only advantage to military presses then would be the standing factor (for core). Maybe that wasn't the correct assumption, dunno.

edit* - didn't see the other post. So incline works ya shoulders hard? I realized it worked front delts, but thoguht it'd be equally with upper chest, near collar bone and such. I'm not really sure I guess...

Star Fleet Gym Manager startrek's Avatar
    startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I hate military presses. They're a good core exercise, but it seems like whenever I add them to my routine, I get a twinge in my neck and have to rest for a week before I can do them again.

I also hate flat bench presses, because they work the lower chest more than the upper chest, resulting in "muscle boobies."

Now I do incline bench mostly, and my upper chest looks better, and I don't have the neck problems. I do miss the core work of the military press, but it's a good trade-off for me.