Thread: First Post

I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

First Post

Your age: 17
    Your height and weight: 6' 187lbs-190lbs
    Your Body fat %: 16-17%
    How long you have been training: 8 months
    Your goals: Primary stregnth, secondary mass
    A breakdown of your current routine (Including split, exercises, sets and reps) n/a finished rippetoes 2 monthes ago, been in limbo with other life matters back to training
    Have you made gains on this routine, and if so in what way (Heavier weights / mass) got a lot stronger, and gained a little over 15lbs
    What is your diet like: no specifics, 4000cal+ 1.5x bw/g protein and carbs moderate fats (olive oil, peanut butter, fish oils) diets pretty easy for me, just eat big, lots of milk, eggs, meat, bread the basics
    Have / are you taking any supplements and/or anabolic agents (optional): ON Whey Protein

Squat: 300 single ASS 2 GRASS (as reffered from this site)
    Bench: 190 single
    Deadlift: 315 single, conventional
    Rows (deweighted each rep): 165x5
    Military press: 120x5
    Dip: 17xbw
    Chinups: 6xbw

Which routine would you prescribe me, any other info need just ask, thank you in advanced, and I'm off to eat meal#5

ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    why not stick with Riptoes, if youve made good gains? You could look in to the 5x5 program, a lot of people move on to that after riptoe. I like to design my own w/o so I can make decisions on lacking body parts and in general keep everything balanced

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey, a sensible newb post.

reps.

An Upper lower, push pull, or 5X5 would work quite well for you.

Nice lifts.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ryanthestark
    why not stick with Riptoes, if youve made good gains? You could look in to the 5x5 program, a lot of people move on to that after riptoe. I like to design my own w/o so I can make decisions on lacking body parts and in general keep everything balanced
    I honestly cannot handle heavy squating 3x a week any more, and I don't want to do the 5x5 quite yet because I like the volume (straight sets), and the 5x5 uses ramping weights just don't like that

And thanks VikingMan

ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryanthestark has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do you have a pretty good understanding of different w/o? You could probably set up a program for yourself based on your specific needs/strengths & weakness', just remember to include lots of compound movements. I do a Chest/Shoulders/Tri & Legs/Back/Bi's split 2x a week comprised of all compound movements, with iso's tossed in at end based on how I feel each w/o.

It seems you have a pretty strong grasp on the basics, so you might be best to either A: research the routines listed by Viking as well as some of the programs on the stickies and making a decision that way. or B: use you knowledge to design a program for yourself, since noone here is going to know you or what you need better than yourself, and use the forum for additional information.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by I-beam
    I honestly cannot handle heavy squating 3x a week any more, and I don't want to do the 5x5 quite yet because I like the volume (straight sets), and the 5x5 uses ramping weights just don't like that

And thanks VikingMan
    Well, the ramping weight are going to provide an aspect to your training that has to this point been lacking, higher intensity. So if you wanted to set something up yourself, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Have one session per week devoted to the workload/volume stuff you like, then one session devoted to higher intensity, peaking to a PR set. EXCELLENT means of achieving good progression. The higher intensity of the ramped sets makes strength gains in your straight sets easier. You could easily take the Rippetoe template, take out one squat session a week, do the alternating workload and intensity thing, tweak a few things here and there, and have something QUITE workable.

It's obviously not Rippetoe's Starting Strength anymore, but it would work well.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

possibly something like the advanced 5x5? with a lot less deloading though considering I'm still in the beginner/intermedieate range, I could probably still squat 3x a week with the 20% less on wednesday

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by I-beam
    possibly something like the advanced 5x5? with a lot less deloading though considering I'm still in the beginner/intermedieate range, I could probably still squat 3x a week with the 20% less on wednesday
    I think you might bite off more than you can chew with the advanced 5x5.

I'd suggest for you either:
    - HST (though you'll still be squating 3x per week).
    - ABBH by Chad Waterbury. I'm doing that now, and I've got a little more weight time than yourself.. Check out my journal for details.

ABBH will be at worst 1x squating per 8 days. It's nice and simple, and quick, and a little higher volume
    Have a read over my first post in my journal, and check out the links. It comes highly recommended.
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362
    youTube vids: http://youtube.com/profile?user=FitnessNut
    my iPhone apps: http://www.yianni-software.com/

maybe something like

Workout A (Intensity)
    Squat 5x5 (ramping weight)
    Bench 5x5 (ramping weight)
    Vertical Pull (I'll ramp the weight, once I can do weight, for now I'll stay with volume on chins/ pullups)

Workout B (volume)
    Deadlift 3x5 (straight sets)
    Military 3x5 (straight sets)
    Rows (deweighted each rep) 3x5 (straight sets)

Workout C (volume)
    Squat 3x5 (straight sets)
    Bench 3x5 (straight sets)
    Vertical Pull (once again I'll add weight once I can)

Workout D (Intensity)
    Deadlift 5x5 (ramping weights)
    Military 5x5 (ramping weights)
    Row (deweighted each rep) 5x5 (ramping weights)

done on a mon/wed/fri schedule
    any concerns with this?

Originally Posted by Short One
    I think you might bite off more than you can chew with the advanced 5x5.

I'd suggest for you either:
    - HST (though you'll still be squating 3x per week).
    - ABBH by Chad Waterbury. I'm doing that now, and I've got a little more weight time than yourself.. Check out my journal for details.

ABBH will be at worst 1x squating per 8 days. It's nice and simple, and quick, and a little higher volume
    Have a read over my first post in my journal, and check out the links. It comes highly recommended.
    thanks bro, I was thinking something similar to that originally (Upper/Lower) plus I only get 1 hour in the gym (its free) so I don't exactly all the time in the world
    Last edited by I-beam; 11-15-2006 at 01:22 PM.