Closed Thread
Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Writeup for Rippetoe's program

Well ever since I've been coming to these boards I've enjoyed helping beginners out just like I was helped out when I began lifting. I've been seeing alot of skinny teens looking to get huge (like me when i started) and personally I think Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine is the best to do that on. I was giving out this routine to many people using 9cyclop9's small writeup for it and I thought... why not writeup an extremely detailed layout of it? So I did!

If you guys could look over it and I will edit it however needed to I can post it for the beginners looking to try it!

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Routine:

*note the dip/chin isnt in the original program

Here is a routine from Mark Rippetoe’s book called “Starting Strength”. You can buy the book at www.startingstrength.com. It includes endless useful info that all beginners should learn. But as for the program he suggests, his clients that he gives it to on AVERAGE gain 30-40 pounds in about 6 months or so which is amazing gains.

The program is as follows:

You alternate Workout A and Workout B every other day, 3 times a week. So you could either do Mon, Wed, Fri or Tues, Thurs. and Sat. Depending on what works best for you.

Example:

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday -Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

Etc.

For the actual workouts read below:

Note: This doesn’t include warm-up sets

**Means this is OPTIONAL**

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    **2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
    **2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

Assistance work:

Most people cant get it through there head that compound lifts also work your arms Plenty and always Insist on direct arm work. As quoted by Madcow2, “Don't **** with this. Every bodybuilder seems to have Attention Deficit Disorder and an overwhelming desire to customize everything.” If you are one of these people note that you have the option of doing the dips and chins which give PLENTY of arm work. Abdominal work is fine to do also if needed.

I recommend weighted decline sit-ups and/or Hanging Leg Raises at 2x8-10.

Weight:

As for the weight, make sure that you use the SAME weight throughout the sets. For example if I do the first set if Squats with 200lbs then I do the other 2 sets of squats with 200lbs.

Every week make it a goal to increase each of your lifts by 2.5%. Meaning if I lifted 100lbs for my Bench Week 1 then Week 2 I would try for 102.5lbs. If I did 200lb Squats Week 1 I would try for 205lbs in Week 2. Sometimes you will be able to do more but don’t mess with your form just to lift more.

Warm-up Sets:

Before all your working sets it is best to do a few warm-up sets. Specifically for your first lift. You don’t have to do the whole thing for the other lifts but definitely the first.

What you do is you ramp your weight up to your working sets.

For example:

2x5xbar (sets x reps x weight)
    1x5x85
    1x3x125
    1x2x155

And the working set weight would be 175.

If you are lifting your working sets under 150 I would cut out the 3rd warmup set of 1x5 because it wont be needed.

The Lifts:

**Used references and quotes from Madcow2 and Bodybuilding.com**

Barbell Squat: These should be full range Olympic style squats. Use the full range of your body - that means as low as you can go which for almost everyone is past parallel. If the top of your thighs aren't at least parallel it's for sh!t. If you think this is bad for your knees going low, you and whoever told you that are relying on an old wives tale. Anyone who knows the human body will tell you that below parallel is MUCH safer on the knees whereas parallel and above put all the sheer right on them and doesn’t allow proper transfer of the load to the rest of your body (this is how your body was designed).

Rest a barbell on the upper portion of your back, not your neck. Firmly grip the bar with your hands almost twice your shoulder width apart. Position your feet about shoulder width apart and your toes should be pointing just a little outward with your knees in the same direction. Keep your back as straight as possible and your chin up, bend your knees and slowly lower your hips straight down until your THIGHS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE FLOOR. Once you reach the bottom position, press the weight up back to the starting position.

Video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003/barbellsquat.wvx

To be honest ATG (Ass to the Grass) squats work the best IMO. What you do is you go ALL the way down until your hamstrings touch your calves and keep the same Olympic squat form.

Barbell Deadlift: Each rep is deweighted fully on the floor. No touch and go. This is called the 'dead'lift because the weight is 'dead' on the ground. You can touch and go warm ups but that's it.

This is a very complicated exercise so here is bodybuilding.com’s detailed instructions on this lift.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...rbell+Deadlift

Video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003...ontofknees.wvx

Flat Barbell Bench Press: Lie on a flat bench and firmly position your feet flat on the floor a little more than shoulder width apart. Keep your back flat on the bench! Using a grip broader than shoulder width, hold the barbell above your body, then lower slowly to the middle of your chest. Without bouncing the weight off your chest, drive the barbell up over the middle of your chest until your arms are straight and your elbows are locked. Lower the bar down slowly.

Video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003...essideview.wvx

Standing Barbell Military Press: Standing overhead presses. Supporting weight overhead is a fundamental exercise and stimulates the whole body.
    Raise barbell to your chest with your hands shoulder width apart. Lock your legs and hips. Keep your elbows in, slightly under your bar. Press bar to arm's length overhead. Lower to your upper chest or chin (depending on what is comfortable).

Bent Barbell Row: Raise barbell to your chest with your hands shoulder width apart. Lock your legs and hips. Keep your elbows in, slightly under your bar. Press bar to arm's length overhead. Lower to your upper chest or chin (depending on what is comfortable).

Video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003...barbellrow.wvx

You could also do Pendlay Rows which IMO are also better. This illustration below is a great demonstration for them (thanks for the pic Kethnaab!) :
    http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/at...7&d=1140759947

Power Clean: This is also a very complicated exercise so here is bodybuilding.com’s detailed instructions on this lift.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...me=Power+Clean

Video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vide...powerclean.wvx

Chin-Up: Hold the chin-up bar with a supinated grip (palms facing you) with your hands about 6 to 8 inches apart. Pull yourself up and try to touch either your chin or upper chest to the bar. Return slowly to the starting position. Do NOT swing back and forth! Using this grip works more of your biceps than your back or lats.

Video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/videos/2006/chinup.wvx

Dip: Using the parallel bars, grip the handles and push yourself up to your starting position. With elbows close to body and hips straight, lower body until shoulders are slightly stretched. Push body up in same posture and repeat. You can bend and cross your legs or keep them straight.

Video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vide...estversion.wvx

The Diet:

If you are bulking, which is what people usually do on this program, you need to be eating like there is no tomorrow. 3000-4000 calories a day. Make sure you get 1 to 2 x your bodyweight in protein (in grams) and more than that in carbs. Mark Rippetoe also suggests that you drink up to a gallon of milk a day and plenty of water.

Your bulk could be clean but its hard to do so. I suggest just going all out and getting any protein you can get your hands on. For example lean grilled chicken and egg whites is best but if you want to gain that muscle fast then ground beef, steaks, whole eggs, cheeses etc is great. Eat a lot of oats, pasta, wheat bread, yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, etc.

Make sure you get a huge breakfast. Mark recommends 4 huge meals a day with breakfast being the largest. Make sure all your meals have plenty of both carbs and protein! Also look into getting a PWO shake for post workout to get some carbs DIRECTLY into your system when your done lifting. Then an hour later eat a meal. Its also good to eat a snack before bed. Just remember to get big you need to eat big because eating is 90% of your muscle gains.

Good luck and above all have FUN!

-Matta114
    Last edited by Matta114; 02-24-2006 at 01:24 AM.
    My New Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118628221

Clean Bulk

Jaybo82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

this is what im gunna do iv got some pics of me already up

il be taking this program seriously and will let you guys see my progress. i can eat a ****load of healthy steak, tuna, salmon, eggs ect.

are avocadoes good to eat because i love them. also i have a bad hamstring due to a knee reconstruction so i will be also doing 1 legged hamstring curls to build up my hamstring.

thanks heaps for your good advice and i only joined this site yesterday and its great.

one quik question i have all epuipment except for the machine to rest the bar on for squats. is it possible to do the squats qithout that machine seeing its behind ur neck. i think only if someone else is there to take the bar
    Last edited by Jaybo82; 02-24-2006 at 01:51 AM.

Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    u mean a squat rack? my friend just uses his barbell off his bench press for squats. Just be careful. You dont need a spotter if ur careful. Have someone help you out at first though
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

Jaybo82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

yep squat rack

i have a bench so i never thought of that thanks heaps lol

i dont have a belt so is it a good idea to buy one before i start?
    Last edited by Jaybo82; 02-24-2006 at 02:06 AM.

u dont need a belt at all bro
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome write up. I know from what I see around me and my own personal experiences that dieting is where people fuk up. I know this is not the nutrition section but it is somewhat relevant. Exactly how would you set up the diet with this program with the 4 meals? Using perhaps a 200 pound bber aiming for 3000 calories, and then perhaps myself and others can see how to expand on that. It be great if someone could put down actual suggestions for meal ideas. I know its asking a lot,but it would help.

I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    very nice summary, I am adding it to my list of links to give out to the noobs.

Originally Posted by mrdiaz
    awesome write up. I know from what I see around me and my own personal experiences that dieting is where people fuk up. I know this is not the nutrition section but it is somewhat relevant. Exactly how would you set up the diet with this program with the 4 meals? Using perhaps a 200 pound bber aiming for 3000 calories, and then perhaps myself and others can see how to expand on that. It be great if someone could put down actual suggestions for meal ideas. I know its asking a lot,but it would help.
    Heres an example day that I use alot:

Morning:
    6 eggs (3 whole, 3 whites)
    Oatmeal
    Juice
    Milk

Lunch:
    Chicken Breast
    Rice-a-roni
    Milk

Post Workout:
    PWO Shake (Directly after my workout)
    Frozen Meal with like Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans (1 hour after I lift)
    Milk

Dinner:
    Turkey Sandwich with a grip of cheeses on Wheat
    Granola
    Milk

Before Bed:
    2 Scoops Whey
    Yogurt

And plenty of water throughout the day!

As for food suggestions if you look at the diet part of the writeup I wrote in a bunch of food ideas.

GL
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for information. MY problems isnt really the food choices but really the timing. Since Im not used to eating a lot or on a schedule its something that I dont really adhere to on a regular basis. So would the timing be something like this:
    8 am breakfeast
    11 am lunch
    1pm workout
    2 pm shake
    3 pm post workout meal
    6pm dinner
    8/9 pm pre bed snack
    10/11 sleep

?

sidenote what do you recommend for the post workout shake? Im currently having 1 scoop whey 1 banana 1 cup oats and its doing great for recovery.

Thanks for information. MY problems isnt really the food choices but really the timing. Since Im not used to eating a lot or on a schedule its something that I dont really adhere to on a regular basis. So would the timing be something like this:
    8 am breakfeast
    11 am lunch
    1pm workout
    2 pm shake
    3 pm post workout meal
    6pm dinner
    8/9 pm pre bed snack
    10/11 sleep

?
    Another quick question I have is for those who like to workout int the morning I guess it would it be workout from 10-11 have a shake at 11 and then lunch at 12?
    sidenote what do you recommend for the post workout shake? Im currently having 1 scoop whey 1 banana 1 cup oats and its doing great for recovery.

yes , yes, yes , yes to all of em

You can also get something like this for post workout:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459244

gl
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

anyone else think i need to add anything tho? thats why i put up this thread If you are familiar with the book that is
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

"Greatest Gig in the Sky" young and strong's Avatar
    young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good idea Matta114.
    Rippletoe reccomends to try and put on weight each workout. 5-10 pounds for squats and deadlift and 5 pounds for everything else.
    If you don't 3 sets of 5 reps with good form keep the weight constant until next workout. You can do direct arm at the end of the week for 3 sets of 8.
    He also recommends drinking a galleon of milk a day.

I've done the workout for about a month and have already put on 11 pounds!
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Yah i put in all that stuff.. but instead of the direct arm work I thought dips and chins would be better dont u think?
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500) YouCantCooktehBacon is not very helpful. (-500)
    Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

...... seems like id have this all done within 10 minutes of walking into the gym..?

that all there is to this workout?

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    that doesn't include warmups, and it isn't supposed to be that long.

the idea is to accumulate fatigue rather than trying to blow your wad in the first workout.

You need to trust Rippetoe on this haha.. he is one of the top strength coaches in the country and knows more than anyone about how to train new lifters to put on mass.

Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    It is possible, and quite likely, that skinny kids on this program will gain 10-15 lbs. of non-fat bodyweight in the first 2 weeks of a good barbell training program, provided they eat well. "Well" means 4 or so meals per day, based on meat and egg protein sources, with lots of fruit and vegetables, and lots of milk. Lots. Most sources within the heavy training community agree that a good starting place is one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day, with the rest of the diet making up 2500-5000 calories, depending on training requirements and body composition. Although these numbers provide much eyebrow-raising and cautionary statement-issuing from the registered dietetics people, it is a fact that these numbers work well for the vast majority of trainees, and have done so for decades.
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Last edited by outofshape111; 03-06-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    could I add some assistance if I feel up to it?
    Like this:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    **3x8 Tricep Iso
    3x8 Bicep Iso
    Abs

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bent Rows
    **2x8 Pull-ups
    4x8 (Chest) Incline DB press...etc
    Abs

Also, one set of deadlifts seems kinda low
    Age 16
    5'10
    170bs
    Goal: 180-200...eventually
    Trying to clean bulk

Bench: 225
    Squat: 250
    Deadlift: 275

highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Hoopsplaya238
    could I add some assistance if I feel up to it?
    Like this:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    **3x8 Tricep Iso
    3x8 Bicep Iso
    Abs

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bent Rows
    **2x8 Pull-ups
    4x8 (Chest) Incline DB press...etc
    Abs

Also, one set of deadlifts seems kinda low
    Take the program how it is, not with your own modifications. It is structured that way for a reason. Were you not satisfied when you read that Rippetoe addes 30-40 lbs to his trainees in less than a year?

Do it EXACTLY how it is presented and you will see great gains.
    "The biggest risk in life is not taking one"

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. " - John Wooden

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing"

Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Don't f*ck around with his program. Just do the program as it is written.
    Screw my logs, I won't post one up until I know I'll be back in the game for sure!

outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) outofshape111 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    today was my first day on this program... it was also my first time doing squats...

i feel great after that workout! i forced myself to get outisde in the cold and go bike riding for 25 mins after i worked out...... it really feels awesome doing cardio with the workout, you feel like you got a "complete" exercise for the day.........

i also enjoyed squatting more then i thought i would....... its like a more comfortable deadlift =)..... it kind of hurt my back a little with the weight on it though.........

highpower, it says in that post you can add ab work or even decline dumbbell press if you'd like, just FYI.... i am doing 2 sets of 15 crunches as well as 2 sets of 10 decline presses.... does this sound OK? maybe i misunderstood the article slightly.......

also note - you don't have to do just a single set of deadlifts.... he says to make sure you do warm up sets - at LEAST for the first exercise, but i do them for all. if you don't do warm ups you can bang out that workout in like 20 minutes..... i do enough warm ups to stretch it to 30-35 mins.... start with low weight and work yourself up to the "working weight" like he says in the article...
    Last edited by outofshape111; 03-06-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryosuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just curious, what is a good rest interval for this workout? I would think it would about 3 minutes, or is it rather quick (60 seconds)? Also, I had a question about doing the dips for arm assistance. I do dips on an assist machine, because I weigh a sh*t ton, and I pretty much have to have my body straight up and down, so it hits mainly triceps and not so much chest. Is the chest version the right idea or is the triceps version okay?

Also one error in your original post - for bent over BB row the description is the same as standing military press. Thanks.
    Ron Paul in 2008
    www.ronpaul2008.com

The iron never lies.

Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ryosuke
    Just curious, what is a good rest interval for this workout? I would think it would about 3 minutes, or is it rather quick (60 seconds)? Also, I had a question about doing the dips for arm assistance. I do dips on an assist machine, because I weigh a sh*t ton, and I pretty much have to have my body straight up and down, so it hits mainly triceps and not so much chest. Is the chest version the right idea or is the triceps version okay?

Also one error in your original post - for bent over BB row the description is the same as standing military press. Thanks.
    Chest version is the one I aim for, but it doesn't really matter. Triceps are gonna get hit well either way.

As for the rest interval, Rippetoe suggests 1-2 minutes for the worksets, with no rest needed for warmups. Typically the workout takes me about 40 minutes, a little longer then you would think when looking at it. When I add my abs in it can run to 50 or so. So as for the guy saying it should take 10, you have no idea what you are talking about.
    "Why in the Hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can; they are all the same kind of men, why can't they be like Marines?"
    In a letter to HQMC, dated 12 Feb. 1918, concerning a inspection of Marines by Gen John J. Black Jack Pershing, CinC, AEF

Khronos' Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110704291

Originally Posted by outofshape111
    today was my first day on this program... it was also my first time doing squats...

i feel great after that workout! i forced myself to get outisde in the cold and go bike riding for 25 mins after i worked out...... it really feels awesome doing cardio with the workout, you feel like you got a "complete" exercise for the day.........

i also enjoyed squatting more then i thought i would....... its like a more comfortable deadlift =)..... it kind of hurt my back a little with the weight on it though.........

highpower, it says in that post you can add ab work or even decline dumbbell press if you'd like, just FYI.... i am doing 2 sets of 15 crunches as well as 2 sets of 10 decline presses.... does this sound OK? maybe i misunderstood the article slightly.......

also note - you don't have to do just a single set of deadlifts.... he says to make sure you do warm up sets - at LEAST for the first exercise, but i do them for all. if you don't do warm ups you can bang out that workout in like 20 minutes..... i do enough warm ups to stretch it to 30-35 mins.... start with low weight and work yourself up to the "working weight" like he says in the article...

watch urself with those deads, the last thing u want to do is hurt ur back!

The decline presses would be in place of the dips, try to do them with DB's and hammer grip. And the ab work is fine. Remember the dips and chins were not in the book, I just added it as a possibility to avoid the direct arm work.
    My New Journal:

Clean Bulk

Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hoopsplaya238 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by highpower1111
    Take the program how it is, not with your own modifications. It is structured that way for a reason. Were you not satisfied when you read that Rippetoe addes 30-40 lbs to his trainees in less than a year?

Do it EXACTLY how it is presented and you will see great gains.

So if I do that and eat above maintance my arms will grow equally to chest...etc
    Age 16
    5'10
    170bs
    Goal: 180-200...eventually
    Trying to clean bulk

Bench: 225
    Squat: 250
    Deadlift: 275

Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000) Khronos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Hoopsplaya238
    So if I do that and eat above maintance my arms will grow equally to chest...etc
    The only thing I think lagged a bit when I started this program was my chest. I wasn't doing the dips and I don't recall having much of a gain in my chest area. Once I added dips in and started focusing on my chest fibers during bench press (hard to explain) my chest made some solid gains. Overall I'm happy with overall growth this program provides. I don't think anything is lagging.
    "Why in the Hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can; they are all the same kind of men, why can't they be like Marines?"
    In a letter to HQMC, dated 12 Feb. 1918, concerning a inspection of Marines by Gen John J. Black Jack Pershing, CinC, AEF

Khronos' Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110704291

Originally Posted by Matta114
    watch urself with those deads, the last thing u want to do is hurt ur back!

The decline presses would be in place of the dips, try to do them with DB's and hammer grip. And the ab work is fine. Remember the dips and chins were not in the book, I just added it as a possibility to avoid the direct arm work.
    well, i think i hurt myself doing the squats. the bone thats right under the back of my neck, i guess its the top of the spine.... anyway, it has been pretty sore since i did that workout.......

i guess im doing it wrong.... should the bar be under this bone, above it, or what? it was my first time doing squats and i work out by myself from home..... i think i had decent form though...... i kept my body straight and just pushed with my legs basically...... like deads except you dont use your back with the movement... (right?)

tommorow is wednesday so im going to be doing part B which has squats..... should i be OK with the soreness to do this?

thanks for any help
    Last edited by outofshape111; 03-08-2006 at 12:03 AM.

"Greatest Gig in the Sky" young and strong's Avatar
    young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It should be resting on the back of the shoulders and traps underneath the neck bone.
    Good Luck
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by outofshape111
    well, i think i hurt myself doing the squats. the bone thats right under the back of my neck, i guess its the top of the spine.... anyway, it has been pretty sore since i did that workout.......
    you need to do a few things to make sure you don't get excessive soreness like that (although you will be sore the first few times you do it)

1) Use the closest grip on the bar you can use comfortably. This forces your upper back, delts and traps to tighten up and support the bar better.

2) Make sure your elbows are BEHIND the bar, not underneath the bar. This takes strain off your wrists and helps ensure your delts, traps and upper back muscles are flexing nice and tight during the squat.

3) Do NOT NOT NOT look up! This is ridiculous! This forces your upper body to lean forward slightly as it will naturally put the bar off center. Just look forward, i.e. neck in a "neural" position. If you were to stick a grapefruit underneath your chin and hold it there for the duration of the squat, your upper back and neck would maintain proper alignment. You'd also look liike a jackass, but that's beside the point.