Closed Thread
Page 11 of 96 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast
    "Greatest Gig in the Sky" young and strong's Avatar
    young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice to see you back Matta114
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

for women?

How would this program work for women? What type of alterations (if any) would be suggested? Would cardio also be okay? Thanks all
    B/P cycle over time to restart....

Current weight 178.4 Bf% 34.4 ugh!!
    Mid goal=24% bf
    end goal=16%bf

My mantra

It is not the weight that maters its the body fat percent!!!!

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)

3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3babymama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thank you for the great info!!

It seems like a very good work out for the time frame I have in the gym. So for women it just seems like we might need a little more cardio. Would this program be compatiable with CKD?
    B/P cycle over time to restart....

Current weight 178.4 Bf% 34.4 ugh!!
    Mid goal=24% bf
    end goal=16%bf

My mantra

It is not the weight that maters its the body fat percent!!!!

YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Im an ecto wanting to build a bigger frame and add some more muscle and i guess it cant hurt to do this routine even though ive been doing body part splits working in the 6-8 rep range.
    Would i benefit alot by this routine in terms of gaining core strength and building a base of good quality muscle?

Did i see right......benchpress, deadlift and squat in one workout?......thats crazy.

What is the meaning of doing just 1 set of deadlifts, deadlifts to me are my best exercise that i use for maximum strength as its my strongest lift and the one i feel is the most comfortable for lifting maximum poundage relative to my bodyweight, what gives?

angelus832 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    have been lifting for 2 years the right way. i have noticed a lot of gains, i've gained 25lbs of muscle over that time. my form on squats could use some improvement, however.

i was wondering which program would be better to do the starr's 5x5 or the starting strength program.

i wanna gain some more mass. right now i sit at 211 lbs, 19% bf and am 6ft tall.

thanks and yes i am a total noob, i know
    Last edited by angelus832; 05-05-2006 at 06:05 PM.

young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by angelus832
    have been lifting for 2 years the right way. i have noticed a lot of gains, i've gained 25lbs of muscle over that time. my form on squats could use some improvement, however.

i was wondering which program would be better to do the starr's 5x5 or the starting strength program.

i wanna gain some more mass. right now i sit at 211 lbs, 19% bf and am 6ft tall.

thanks and yes i am a total noob, i know
    Depends on how long you've been doing the core lifts (eg Squat bench deadlift etc).
    Another member, Andalite, had been lifting for two years before he started this program and he gained 100 pounds on his squat.
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Originally Posted by Ace_2004
    Im an ecto wanting to build a bigger frame and add some more muscle and i guess it cant hurt to do this routine even though ive been doing body part splits working in the 6-8 rep range.
    Would i benefit alot by this routine in terms of gaining core strength and building a base of good quality muscle?

Did i see right......benchpress, deadlift and squat in one workout?......thats crazy.

What is the meaning of doing just 1 set of deadlifts, deadlifts to me are my best exercise that i use for maximum strength as its my strongest lift and the one i feel is the most comfortable for lifting maximum poundage relative to my bodyweight, what gives?
    Yes you will difiantly benifit from building a good base.
    He only put one set of deadlifting because any more would burn you out considering you squating in the same workout. It is also my strongest lift because of this program. My deadlift went from 165-287 with one set on this program.

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i see lots of ppl saying PR!!! what does pr stand for

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by plaxxman
    Personal Record.

Loves heavy stuff Yorkshire Lad's Avatar
    Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by plaxxman
    PR and Rippetoe's program come hand in hand
    My Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=968826

YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by young and strong
    Yes you will difiantly benifit from building a good base.
    He only put one set of deadlifting because any more would burn you out considering you squating in the same workout. It is also my strongest lift because of this program. My deadlift went from 165-287 with one set on this program.

Lol ok man, guess ill just shut up and follow it...thanks

Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

WOW! What a thread!
    I'm just getting back into training (FINALLY), and I've been looking for a good starting routine. After reading a TON of info within these forums (especially within this thread), I'm definitely going to get the book, and start with Rippetoe's outstanding "Starting Strength" workout program.
    It appears to fit my goals:

I want to (and WILL) lose my gut.
    Gain Mass
    Gain Strength

I THINK I'm on the right track now.
    I posted some of this info in another thread, before I found this thread.
    I'll be training at home, and I have an Ironmaster Super Bench, ~400lbs of Olympic weights, Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbells, an EX Curl Bar, and my Powertec Power Rack System is on its way here.
    Supps are on their way here as well.
    I am sure I'll have a bunch of questions for you too.
    Thanks again for this GREAT thread!
    Well deserved Reps are enroute to many of you!
    Ben N
    Last edited by Ben N; 05-08-2006 at 10:44 AM.
    I'm back, committed, and starting at square 1!!!

Ben N's Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=801813

http://www.AAWsales.com/

wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would going for long runs and/or doing sprints on off-days be a problem for leg recovery? I need to start getting in shape for soccer and was curious if that would get in the way.

Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It isn't for me. I run 6 days a week.
    Patience + Persistence = Progress. (Bill Starr, The Strongest Shall Survive)

My Journal = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=871168

Originally Posted by Ben N
    WOW! What a thread!
    I'm just getting back into training (FINALLY), and I've been looking for a good starting routine. After reading a TON of info within these forums (especially within this thread), I'm definitely going to get the book, and start with Rippetoe's outstanding "Starting Strength" workout program.
    It appears to fit my goals:

I want to (and WILL) lose my gut.
    Gain Mass
    Gain Strength

I THINK I'm on the right track now.
    I posted some of this info in another thread, before I found this thread.
    I'll be training at home, and I have an Ironmaster Super Bench, ~400lbs of Olympic weights, Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbells, an EX Curl Bar, and my Powertec Power Rack System is on its way here.
    Supps are on their way here as well.
    I am sure I'll have a bunch of questions for you too.
    Thanks again for this GREAT thread!
    Well deserved Reps are enroute to many of you!
    Ben N
    Firstly, welcome. Starting strength is a great program and will difantly help you gain mass (provided you eat in excess) and strength.
    However i would wait to you gain mass before you try losing the gut, considering you need calorie excess for gaining and calorie defecency and good cardio for losing fat.
    good luck

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Originally Posted by wumple
    Would going for long runs and/or doing sprints on off-days be a problem for leg recovery? I need to start getting in shape for soccer and was curious if that would get in the way.
    It's up to you, but it does sometimes affect your squat numbers and is a bit hard on the knees.

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by young and strong
    It's up to you, but it does sometimes affect your squat numbers and is a bit hard on the knees.
    true........

Andalite

Super Duper Producer Chris Tempest's Avatar
    Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 83457
    Do you have the book? Are you doing full squats? What I'm getting at is...what form are you using? Have you had any knee injuries or problems in the past?
    I dont own the book, I still havent been able to buy a copy.

Yes I'm doing full squats.

As far as I know my form is good, I'd always choose good form over weight.

I've never had any knee injuries in the past.

I'll just take it easy and move the weight up when I feel more comfortable.

That is the problem right there. The weight you're squatting becomes easy so you move up, then when that weight becomes easy and you add more weight it becomes twice as hard, then you move up again and three times as hard.

So yeah, all my lifts have gone up but not as quickly as I would have liked. I'm making sure I increase each lift each week but the gym doesnt have any smaller plates than 2.5lbs so I'm having to increase bench and shoulder press by 5lbs which is too much. I want to increase it by 2.5lbs so I'm gonna have to buy some micro plates or something.

Super Duper Producer Chris Tempest's Avatar
    Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ace_2004

I feel the same way about deadlift, it also being my best lift.

I'm just struggling to get everything else to catch up to where they should be.

Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Thanks Y&S.
    Thanks for the welcome, and for the training tips!
    I ordered the book yesterday, I hope it gets here quick!
    Ben N
    I'm back, committed, and starting at square 1!!!

Ben N's Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=801813

http://www.AAWsales.com/

Originally Posted by Ben N
    Thanks Y&S.
    Thanks for the welcome, and for the training tips!
    I ordered the book yesterday, I hope it gets here quick!
    Ben N
    No problem, good luck with it

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Loves heavy stuff Yorkshire Lad's Avatar
    Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have also ordered the book. Hopefully it is on a plane on its way over the atlantic soon, preferably now. It was dispatched about a week ago from USA, and can take up to as long as 30-40 days. Can't wait to read through it
    My Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=968826

JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So is this a good program to do for many years, or just to build a base and move onto something else?
    Jongasm.com

Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Matta114 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JonMB
    So is this a good program to do for many years, or just to build a base and move onto something else?
    It was designed for beginners (or simply beginners to this style of lifting) looking to get huge.. I'd say after 4-6 months on it move up to Intermediate 5x5.
    My New Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118628221

Clean Bulk

sjaracz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjaracz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjaracz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello Everybody

just checking in been making some great gains going on week 6

my shoulders and legs are really showing it and others have noticed

for those wondering about cardio i have been doing a hour before I lift but it is at 71% of max heart rate so it is a slow walk at 2.4mph with a 7% incline

it has not affected my squats at all making gains very week

my waste is down about 2 inches so I'm gaining muscle and losing fat so it is a good thing for me

i think this work out is very good much better then a whole allot of exercises

been eating lots of tuna, steak, milk and cereal

Chris Tempest hang in there and keep up the good work glad to hear those squats are working out for you

JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started the program this week too. The first workout went great. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to go to failure though, so I may use a little less weight for now on for my 5 reps.
    Jongasm.com

GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JonMB
    I started the program this week too. The first workout went great. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to go to failure though, so I may use a little less weight for now on for my 5 reps.
    Good move! Drop those weights back considerably, the whole idea is to keep your sticking point ahead of you, in a perfect world - each increase in pounds lifted would be exactly the same as the increase in your 5RM. Of course, you never know exactly what that is at a given workout, so it's a judgment call. But when in doubt, go with a smaller increase. It's much better to add an extra week or two onto your cycle than to hit an early sticking point!

Phantasmal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just had my first workout following this program today, and it went well. However, I was very very close to failure on a few of the sets. After reading the last few posts, I think I'm going to scale it back a bit.

Also, I'm confused about one thing. Is it intended that we add weight to our lifts each workout? (i.e. more weight to squats 3 times per week) Or do we add every week? The original post says weekly, but I see some other guys saying that Rippetoe expects more weight to be added each workout. Which is it? Thanks all.

Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Every work out if you do the program as Rippetoe wrote it.
    Patience + Persistence = Progress. (Bill Starr, The Strongest Shall Survive)

My Journal = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=871168

Closed Thread