Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Sore legs for 5-7 days after leg workout!

I get sore legs for 5-7 full days after my leg workout. This makes it hard to do cardio without getting crazy acid buildup in my quads. I was wondering if this is normal. I don't go hardcore either, here's my routine:

Squats > Leg Extensions > Leg Press > Calf Raises

All the exercises are done to failure pretty much, and I try to lift heavy rather than light. For example I start a set for squats at 225, and end my 4th set at 320. After the workout, my legs are dead tired! Just want to know if the soreness is normal, and if so, what can I do/take to curb the effects?
    12/01/04 - 305+LBS!
    8/17/05 - 255Lbs.
    9/19/05 - 243Lbs.
    10/18/05 - 234Lbs.
    11/15/05 - 222Lbs.
    12/28/05 - 223Lbs.
    02/06/06 - 210Lbs!

Squat - 1275 Lbs.
    Bench - 775 Lbs.
    Curl (MAX) - 350 Lbs.

King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whats your diet like? When my diet is crap, my legs take longer to recover.

Maybe try dropping the leg extensions and just do the barbell squats and leg presses?

I usually find that doing cardio on a bike the day after legs helps me recover faster.

MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MarkA15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I guess you'll have to be like me and be patient until you feel fresh. But like King_Viscera said, a good diet may help you recover faster, that's what I think, I don't know if it's fact.
    *****OFFICIAL MISC PHOTOGRAPHY CREW*****
    ◄FILMM∆KERS CR€W►
    ϟ CHARGERS CREW ϟ

"You don't need God to know good people exist, but you need good people to know God exists."
    -MarkA15

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Soreness (i.e. DOMS) just means that your legs and body are not adapted to the load that you put on them during that exercise day. It has nothing to do with your gains, nutrition or sleep patterns. It is, however, a good indicator of when you should switch up routine. For example, if you kept doing the same routine and finally you didn't get that sore after a workout, that means you body has adapted to the routine and your gains will probably most likely slow down (or they might already have). Thus, the soreness, or a lack thereof, would tell you that you should probably increase the weights and/or select different exercises that you can do to keep on stimulating your legs to growth.

New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    More protein in your diet, more water. Try supplementing with Glutamine.

Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sherazad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'll try glutamine, this is a new workout, i never really trained my legs b4 a month ago, but now I realize it's important for the entire body. I get roughly 200 Gr or protein a day, i don't know if I should bump it up or not. I guess the soreness is good then from braindx's post.
    12/01/04 - 305+LBS!
    8/17/05 - 255Lbs.
    9/19/05 - 243Lbs.
    10/18/05 - 234Lbs.
    11/15/05 - 222Lbs.
    12/28/05 - 223Lbs.
    02/06/06 - 210Lbs!

Squat - 1275 Lbs.
    Bench - 775 Lbs.
    Curl (MAX) - 350 Lbs.

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sherazad
    I'll try glutamine, this is a new workout, i never really trained my legs b4 a month ago, but now I realize it's important for the entire body. I get roughly 200 Gr or protein a day, i don't know if I should bump it up or not. I guess the soreness is good then from braindx's post.
    How the hell have you been training legs for only a month but your last set of squats is with 320 lbs. You evidently arent going down low enough or somethin. Or maybe you just have super strong legs....

Registered User maximus overload's Avatar
    maximus overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maximus overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maximus overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lower the volume. Inspite of what Arnold says (and one must remember that as cool and innovative as Arnie is, his advice is really only best for those with really good genetics or those who are juiced to the gills) your legs don't need a million sets each work out.

Light cardio afterwards.

Eat your banana's (no, I'm not kidding).

I never really trained with weights on my legs, I did however play a year of University football as a tackle on the O-Line. We did crazy workouts to build our legs, I can remember carrying a 320 lb guy up a hill backwards on my back. I never did squats though during workouts, cause my legs were always dead after practice.
    12/01/04 - 305+LBS!
    8/17/05 - 255Lbs.
    9/19/05 - 243Lbs.
    10/18/05 - 234Lbs.
    11/15/05 - 222Lbs.
    12/28/05 - 223Lbs.
    02/06/06 - 210Lbs!

Squat - 1275 Lbs.
    Bench - 775 Lbs.
    Curl (MAX) - 350 Lbs.

throws77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it's normal for the stuff your doing, but not really good. i think you should try to lighten up the load a little if its bothering your legs that much. the legs don't do much for ya if they're to sore to use.
    6'4" 240lbs
    dead lift:475
    DL off of rack:680
    curls:170

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Its simple, don't lift to failure, you'll recover better and be able to workout more frequently.
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same problem for years with my legs and triceps always being the muscles that took the longest to recover. Oddly enough, I could workout my traps every day and they would never get tired. My best friend is just the opposite, he could do legs every day but his traps would take over a week to recover. I think heredity has alot to do with it.

Not going to failure might help as will less volume. It didn't for work me because as long as I was adding weight to the bar, I would get sore. It may work for you. If it doesn't, you may have to do a full body workout 5 days a week, which is what I do now. I just do 1 or 2 sets for each muscle and move on to the next one. I have even benched and squatted 5 days a week and not gotten tired or sore working out this way. The drawback is you won't get the pump that you are used to but you will get stronger faster because we all know that the more you can workout a muscle, the stronger you will get.

Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    take ice baths, n do stretches 3-4 hours after the workout to reduce the acidic build up!

Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mono will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i used to have the same probelm, and i solved it by streching before you workout. if your not doing this i highly suggest it.

dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dawkins_20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, not being sore is NOT a sign that your not growing. However I think that if your always excessively sore, that could be a sign of overtraining. IMO, if your training heavy and going to failure, you don't need anywhere near the volume your doing. When I squat, which is usually what I decide to do when working legs, all I do is 4 heavy sets to failure. Thats it, no other leg presses or extensions or lunges. Just 4 heavy sets, and it gets the job done.

degolarz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=dawkins_20;11609521]First off, not being sore is NOT a sign that your not growing.

Had to read that twice, triple negative! haha

I agree though. I always aim for being a little sore/stiff, but not so sore that I can barely walk the next couple of days. If I'm sore for more than 4 days (cant get two leg workouts in a week) I lighten up the load for the next leg day. And that goes for any muscle group.