Closed Thread
    DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cortisol + Puffy Face

Hey Guys,
    I have been struggling with controlling my face which seems to become really puffy for a few days then suddenly becoming very lean again with no apparent triggers. It is especially bad in the morning and after a hard workout.

I have found that this is a symptom of high cortisol levels and think this relates to me well as I have been cutting to rid myself of my puffy face by dropping calories alot and having extremely long workouts of up to 2 hours which I know breaks all the rules but I was getting desperate.

I was just wondering what it is about cortisol that makes the face puffy? I understand the other symptoms just not this one. Why is the face the place that gets puffy?
    I have now cut down to 45min cardio and put up my calories in hope I will lower cortisol and in turn bump up my BMR.

Can anyone help with my question though? Any help would be very appreciated.
    "If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cos im gonna burn one down" - Ben Harper

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    being puffy in the morning can also be a sign of kidney problems. Have you spoken to a doctor?
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by skelooth
    being puffy in the morning can also be a sign of kidney problems. Have you spoken to a doctor?
    Nar I havent, Ill go get checked out some time next week I hope.
    What other disorders can result in the puffiness of the face?
    "If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cos im gonna burn one down" - Ben Harper

scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DrGreenThumb
    Hey Guys,
    I have been struggling with controlling my face which seems to become really puffy for a few days then suddenly becoming very lean again with no apparent triggers. It is especially bad in the morning and after a hard workout.

I have found that this is a symptom of high cortisol levels and think this relates to me well as I have been cutting to rid myself of my puffy face by dropping calories alot and having extremely long workouts of up to 2 hours which I know breaks all the rules but I was getting desperate.

I was just wondering what it is about cortisol that makes the face puffy? I understand the other symptoms just not this one. Why is the face the place that gets puffy?
    I have now cut down to 45min cardio and put up my calories in hope I will lower cortisol and in turn bump up my BMR.

Can anyone help with my question though? Any help would be very appreciated.
    I have the same problem sometimes. Like you in the mornings.
    You hvae to watch your sodium intake. Also I think mine is hormonal as well be it cortisol or something else I dont know. people with cushing syndrome (over production of cortisol) are known to have a moon face.
    You have to go through and try to see everyhting that may be causing it.
    I believe high cortisol causes water retention.

Originally Posted by scrag
    I have the same problem sometimes. Like you in the mornings.
    You hvae to watch your sodium intake. Also I think mine is hormonal as well be it cortisol or something else I dont know. people with cushing syndrome (over production of cortisol) are known to have a moon face.
    You have to go through and try to see everyhting that may be causing it.
    I believe high cortisol causes water retention.
    Thanks for the reply man,
    I got my cortisol, thyroid and testosterone levels taken this morning so hopefully that will turn up something thats causing the problem as I really wanna get rid of it. I will get results monday so ill post back what happens.

You got any other idea's of what could be causing this?
    Thanks again man.

scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I assume your cortisol was a blood test? I dont think they give an accurate reading. I had my cortisol tested some years back but it was a 24hr urine sample then they got me to take dexamethasone. i cant remember what the upshot was but I did have elevated cortisol but it was normal when adjusted for creatinine. WHtaever that was supposed to mean i dont know. L just get the feeling that my problem is hormonal because of how u usually feel terrible at the same time as the puffy face and think that some people are hypersensitive to this kind of thing.

Anyway, from what i can say off top of my head for puffy face:
    Dietry: too many carbs, too much salt, not enough water, food allergies.
    Hormonal: too much estrogen, cortisol, thyroid problrms, kidney problems
    Other: stress
    Let us know how your testosterone and thyroid tests go...

Yeh it was a blood test. Im also the same as I feel really bad and get annoyed very easy when my face becomes puffy so I agree about it being hormonal. I have wanted to get my test levels taken for a while and will be very interested as I have always felt this had something to do with the problem.
    Ill post all results as soon as I get them on monday arvo.
    Thanks for the feedback man, its awesome to hear from someone with the same problem.

CHIef414 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHIef414 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHIef414 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHIef414 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know for sure, but it sounds just what happened to my younger brother. He developed Juvenile arthritis, and to doctor made him take a large amount of cortisol, and he ballooned up. Face got huge, it was a shame, but good thing is he is acutally smaller and slender now than before the medicine.

I assume your cortisol was a blood test? I dont think they give an accurate reading. I had my cortisol tested some years back but it was a 24hr urine sample then they got me to take dexamethasone. i cant remember what the upshot was but I did have elevated cortisol but it was normal when adjusted for creatinine. WHtaever that was supposed to mean i dont know. L just get the feeling that my problem is hormonal because of how u usually feel terrible at the same time as the puffy face and think that some people are hypersensitive to this kind of thing.

Well got test results today and apart from slightly high cortisol levels everything is perfect. I was a bit dissapointed to tell you the truth as I really wanna try and find a cure for this.
    My next step is to start cutting out foods to find out if it might be an intolerence. I'm gonna start with cutting out dairy for a fortnight and see if that helps.
    If you find any new info let us know man as I am getting desperate with this facial swelling.

thirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is your face the only thing that becomes bloated? What about the rest of your body?

It sounds like a case of sodium and water intake, and possibly being sensitive to certain foods (like carbs and fats).

Happens to everyone... I usually get bloated after some pizza the night before.

Originally Posted by thirst
    Is your face the only thing that becomes bloated? What about the rest of your body?

It sounds like a case of sodium and water intake, and possibly being sensitive to certain foods (like carbs and fats).

Happens to everyone... I usually get bloated after some pizza the night before.
    Yeh pretty much just my face but its not sodium related as I cut out all added sodium and have a very clean diet and also drink a lot of water.
    I thought it was carbs originally but the fact that its worse in the morning before eating anything and the way my mood is effected makes me think its not.

hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have been dealing with this problem for over a month. It all started when I was on creatine. I stopped the creatine 2 months ago, and like you all, my face is puffy in the morning, and after workouts. I also have bags under my eyes........ I am thinking it is food related........ maybe hormonal tho...... some rebound xt is on the way.......
    Currently: Bulking

Originally Posted by hotasice2003
    I have been dealing with this problem for over a month. It all started when I was on creatine. I stopped the creatine 2 months ago, and like you all, my face is puffy in the morning, and after workouts. I also have bags under my eyes........ I am thinking it is food related........ maybe hormonal tho...... some rebound xt is on the way.......
    Yeh sounds exactly the same. I think the only solution is trial and error experimenting until something works.
    Please let me know if you find anything that helps. Good luck.

hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep, I am doing a process and elimination for food allergies, even tho I tested negative for any. Curious, have you made any changes to your diet recently? Dairy bloats tons of ppl, and that is what I am eliminating right now. ( started today) Have you increased your protein intake? How is your potassium intake? You could be allergic to the lactalbumins in whey and casein. What about eggs, wheat, gluten, soy, nuts, shellfish. All that stuff. I have tried eliminating the eggs and nuts, and those weren't it. I never eat soy..... if it's wheat, I'm screwed lol..... will deff keep you posted. You do the same.......

Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DrGreenThumb
    Yeh pretty much just my face but its not sodium related as I cut out all added sodium and have a very clean diet and also drink a lot of water.
    I thought it was carbs originally but the fact that its worse in the morning before eating anything and the way my mood is effected makes me think its not.

Do you use Minoxidil for your hair? I heard some people get bloated faces from this.

Originally Posted by Slimshady01
    Do you use Minoxidil for your hair? I heard some people get bloated faces from this.

LOL..... that's great.......

Yep, I am doing a process and elimination for food allergies, even tho I tested negative for any. Curious, have you made any changes to your diet recently? Dairy bloats tons of ppl, and that is what I am eliminating right now. ( started today) Have you increased your protein intake? How is your potassium intake? You could be allergic to the lactalbumins in whey and casein. What about eggs, wheat, gluten, soy, nuts, shellfish. All that stuff. I have tried eliminating the eggs and nuts, and those weren't it. I never eat soy..... if it's wheat, I'm screwed lol..... will deff keep you posted. You do the same.......
    Yeh I cut dairy out completely for 2 weeks along with gluten but didnt notice anything. I havent had the balls to cut wheat out as I think it'll drive me crazy but maybe that should be next.
    I dont eat eggs, soy or nuts very much so I dont think thats it.
    To tell you the truth I think it probably is wheat or something wheat related as I have had really bad problems in the past binge eating wheaty foods so maybe I wasnt digesting it completely making my body think it needs it. I dunno.
    I'll give wheat, yeast, gluten a go for a week or so and see how I go. It sucks though cos if it is that means cutting out wheat for a while but if it is I will have cured the problem, its a catch 22.
    Thanks for your input though man.

Man, good news here. I haven't really been dealing with a puffy face anymore, but more bags under the eyes problem. My puffy face, was more related to my sinusitis I had a few weeks ago. But anyways, I woke up this morning, and my bags were almost gone. Now, I have been battling these for about 2-3 months, and then BANG this morning they are significantly reduced...... still there, but very small. Now, it could be a few things....... I upped my potassium intake ALOT(supps, bananas, etc), while lowering sodium. I didn't lower sodium that much, but just spread it out, so I wasn't getting alot in one meal, and then none in another....... I eliminated dairy, except whey and casein shakes because of the added enzymes....... I also started using this chick eye gel from Origins....... but, the thing that seems to have got rid of em was Rebound XT! I have a very mild case of gyno, and I talked to a few knowledgable guys, and they suggested trying an AI b4 any SERM or anything, and so I hit up some Rebound because it's cheap. I started it yesterday, and then bang these bags are almost gone. It doesn't make since, and it's too early to tell, but I'll keep ya posted. I leave for Florida tomorrow, so I won't be able to post for over a week, but just tellin ya this b4 I leave. Good luck!

Man, good news here. I haven't really been dealing with a puffy face anymore, but more bags under the eyes problem. My puffy face, was more related to my sinusitis I had a few weeks ago. But anyways, I woke up this morning, and my bags were almost gone. Now, I have been battling these for about 2-3 months, and then BANG this morning they are significantly reduced...... still there, but very small. Now, it could be a few things....... I upped my potassium intake ALOT(supps, bananas, etc), while lowering sodium. I didn't lower sodium that much, but just spread it out, so I wasn't getting alot in one meal, and then none in another....... I eliminated dairy, except whey and casein shakes because of the added enzymes....... I also started using this chick eye gel from Origins....... but, the thing that seems to have got rid of em was Rebound XT! I have a very mild case of gyno, and I talked to a few knowledgable guys, and they suggested trying an AI b4 any SERM or anything, and so I hit up some Rebound because it's cheap. I started it yesterday, and then bang these bags are almost gone. It doesn't make since, and it's too early to tell, but I'll keep ya posted. I leave for Florida tomorrow, so I won't be able to post for over a week, but just tellin ya this b4 I leave. Good luck!
    Thats awesome man,
    The rebound xt sounds like it could help me too as I have puffiness in my nipples as well, although it dissapears if its cold or I pinch them so I dont think its gyno. Ill get some rebound and give it a go as its pretty cheap and Ill do anything at the moment.
    What sort of dosage are you using?
    Thanks for the update man.

atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Generally if it was cortisol you also get a hump and thinning of the arms and legs. It is unpleasant to be mild.

Blood test is not the way to measure it. Salvia or 24 urine are the best measures.

There are a lot of other symptoms besides the moon face. That is only one. It has to do with alderstone (ms) the hormone that regulates your sodium and potassium. You could have potassium imbalances which probable would the case considering what you are doing to yourself.

Carbs are both your friend and enemy with extra cortisol. Increase insulin decrease in cortisol. Hense everyone using insulins spikes after working out.

Trust me, if you were having cushing syndrome you would know. Generally athletes that eat too high of a ratio of protein to carbohydrate will have higher levels of cortisol. Also have calorie deficits will raise the cortisol. Inflammation from workout will increase it. If you work out longer than you HGH release your cortisol will dominate which could led to you have more cushiod appearance. But all that said your body is pretty good at regulating all of that. You have two periods of cortisol peaks a day. In the morning which is why they probably did the blood test in the morning. And in the afternoon. Cortisol takes a while to be processed by the liver so you would be bloated for days before it would thin out.

Also when you have cortisol problems you cycle is no longer on the am and pm cycle it general high all the time and will valley around 4 to 6 in the afternoon.

I would bet food allergies. Non IGA ones

well this is odd. I thought they were going away, but no, they always appear to be going away when I wake up, and then in about 30min to an hour, they return to normal size..... I don't know what the heck's going on. Rebound dosage is 1 pill, 3 times a day for 1 week, and then 1 pill, 2 times a day for 2 weeks, and finally 1 pill, once a day for one more week, and then every other day to finish.

i eat babies for protein. DieHollywoodDie's Avatar
    DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i've noticed when i go to sleep facing down, my face is 'softer' looking, however, if i sleep face up with my back on the bed, my face looks leaner. no freakin' clue, but it's a definite trend for myself.

been sleeping on my back for a year
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.
    Gain better overall fitness (strength, endurance, muscle)

"don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest."

How's everything going DrGreenThumb?

faceneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

face

hello.

i made an account just to answer your question, but i need to know, did you sort out your
    puffy face, do you stll get it, i think i have the answer.

shanman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by faceneck View Post
    hello.

i made an account just to answer your question, but i need to know, did you sort out your
    Just dug this thread up, i know it's way old. But i have this exact issue and i've been trying to figure it out for way too long now. Going in to the doctor tomorrow,did you guys ever figure out the issue?

spocknosys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by faceneck View Post
    hello.

Hey Faceneck,
    Just came across your post, appreciate if you could share your answer.