SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Training for a 12K race

That's 7.46 miles. Currently, I do explosive excercise reps at 5. The only cardio I do is anaerobic. I'll still do HIIT once per week and then 2-3 miles the other days.

My question is, How should I go about changing my lifting rotine. I have two splits and go 3X per week. I do deads, squats, overhead press, dips, bench, curlz, rows, pullups, pushups.

Should I change my reps? I'd like to keep the excercises. Is that 20 rep squat routine a good one for training a race.

I have untill May 18th and I'd guess a 7.5 mile race is probably right around 85% aerobic and 15% anaerobic.
    Bench: 175 LBS
    Deadlift: 250 LBS
    Squat: 170 LBS (ATG)
    Military Press: 115 LBS
    Barbell Rows: 125 LBS
    Curl: 40 LBS dumbell
    Dips: Injured
    Pullups: 10 reps @ BW

5-10, 170 16% BF

Pain is weakness leaving the body

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108633751

No pain, no (weight) loss Badfrog's Avatar
    Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Believe it or not, I'm trying to train to run 5.4 miles on May 24th. I've been reading quite a bit and from what I've seen, core training can help your running quite a bit. Also, I would look on the net and find a 10 or 12K training program to follow. You'll probably have to decide if the running or lifting is your priority.

SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lifting is more important but I want to run this 12K. I need to cut anyways and I hope to be comfortable at my weight when I'm done witht he race. I'm thinking of jumping into Circuit training in a month or so.

5-10, 170 16% BF

motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SFreppinitbig View Post
    Lifting is more important but I want to run this 12K. I need to cut anyways and I hope to be comfortable at my weight when I'm done witht he race. I'm thinking of jumping into Circuit training in a month or so.
    I am an avid runner and if i were you i would start doing my running each day. Start out short but not too short. About 1 or 2 weeks prior to your race you want to peak out at just a little over the race length. Day before you want to get a nice light run in about half of what the race will be. Do some interval training and a speed work out about midway to race time.
    Shoot for small goals that are part of one big goal!

Work hard at everything you do! Never let anyone tell you that you cant do something. Prove to everyone that you can be and do anything you set your mind to.

When on a cut/diet you test your mind to stay with it and reach your goal. Mind over matter

Tomorrow I'll run a mile to start, tehn next week 1.5 and so on. My mile time is 7:10, so I'm hoping to get under an hour for the race. Theres also a 11.15% incline for about a half mile and then its downhill from there. I'll run the treadmill for the first few months, I have to go at this conservatively.

5-10, 170 16% BF

thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedisneydad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://www.menshealthurbanathlon.com/endurance.cfm

check that out. it's working wonders for me...I'm at 8.5-10 miles a day...and I do steady state maximal and HIIT once a week, and a lower speed volume run twice a week. When I started I was running a 5k four times a week, but I wanted to start preparing for the men's health urbanathalon.

check it out.
    NEVER SETTLE!!!

Three years ago I was 365lbs of lard. Never again! I like the heads turning toward me.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4725773

LOOKING FOR A PARTNER FOR ANY RUNNING OR ROAD BIKING COMPETITIONS IN TX. PM ME IF INTERESTED.

motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10) motox426 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SFreppinitbig View Post
    Tomorrow I'll run a mile to start, tehn next week 1.5 and so on. My mile time is 7:10, so I'm hoping to get under an hour for the race. Theres also a 11.15% incline for about a half mile and then its downhill from there. I'll run the treadmill for the first few months, I have to go at this conservatively.
    If you can get outside and run. Its so much better training outside for a race outside. If there is a hill i would also suggest you find a hill or even that and do hill repeats. Run up and run down 4-6 times each way. When runnign up hill keep your head up and use your arms to drive your self up the hill and I mean pump them it works. Down hill run on your toes open up your stride and keep your hands and arm out in from of you for balance. You should be leaning forward going down hill and this will be your recovery in the race and trianing. You should not be tired at the bottom but well rested instead. Each day run a different milage.
    Shoot for small goals that are part of one big goal!

Work hard at everything you do! Never let anyone tell you that you cant do something. Prove to everyone that you can be and do anything you set your mind to.

When on a cut/diet you test your mind to stay with it and reach your goal. Mind over matter

Single digit BF% or else! aiming45's Avatar
    aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As a regular half-marathon runner and iron lover, I'll tell you that continue to hit the weights until the last week leading up to the race.

I do 3 days a week of a full body routine. One of the days (Monday) is a heavy weight/low rep day, another is (Wednesday) moderate weight/moderate reps, and then a (Friday) light weight high rep days. My long runs are on Saturdays, which gives me Sunday to rest before hitting the weights again. The first run of the next week is usually the easiest so I can afford to do the heavy weights on Monday.

I have been doing this for a couple of years now and it's worked out pretty well. Some days it's just too much, either you don't feel like running, or you just can't hit the weights. When you're doing that much in the gym and running 50-60 miles a week, it takes a toll. Every now and then your body just says take it easy today. You must listen.

Nutrition is key. I eat a very clean diet and last year added lots of BCAA's (Scivation Xtend) to sip on during my weight workouts and on my runs. Seemed to help me with recovery so I wasn't dragging.

There really is no need that Iron and the road can't live together in one athlete. I have run in races with some pretty damned built guys who don't seem too concerned that they're muscles are going to magically dissapear if they also to long distance running. They're not out running really fast, neither am I, which I think is key. I actually run at about an 8 minute pace for a half-marathon. I would get lapped by the elites running out there, but they're toothpicks and that's not the look I want obviously.

Oh, a great training resource for running used by more people on the planet than any other I am aware of is www.halhigdon.com. The guy has trained literally hundreds of thousands of people, for free, with his programs. I've had great success with it.

Good Luck to you in your race.

precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Badfrog View Post
    Believe it or not, I'm trying to train to run 5.4 miles on May 24th. I've been reading quite a bit and from what I've seen, core training can help your running quite a bit. Also, I would look on the net and find a 10 or 12K training program to follow. You'll probably have to decide if the running or lifting is your priority.
    go on www.runnersworld.com or www.coolrunning.com

blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blueboy22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For you guys looking for training routines, take a look at www.halhigdon.com

He is one of the best long-distance trainers in the world.

I'll do HIIT outdie but not long distance yet. 2 things I like about a treadmill: great way to monitor you rprogress in total miles, times, and heartrate. and also it is more shock absorbant. I bet I'll still feel some form of shin splints the day after running 2 or so miles on a treadmill. Ususally I do my running outdie, thing is that runnig is sprints and is only 20 minutes.

5-10, 170 16% BF

So I ran on the treadmill today. When a little conservative since I've only been doing HIIT the past year. I was quite impressed with myself. I ran 2 1/3 miles in 18 minutes. Next time I go which is Tuesday I'll aim for 3 miles in 20 minutes. Hopefully I won't be sore, I got squats 2M morning.

5-10, 170 16% BF

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wouldnt change it at all. I am training for a marathon and my weekly long runs are over 10 miles and I am doing starting strength at the same time. 12k really isnt that far so you should be fine the way you are. You might be a bit sore some days but you'll adapt to it. Your body can take alot more than you think.

I would suggest increasing your run distances at a slower pace. When you get the total 12k distance down then start working on the speed aspect of it once a week or so. Have fun.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda