Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SupermanC19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SupermanC19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How to work middle abs???

My top 2 abs are extremely built and defined compared to my lower abs. It's great having those top 2 but more than one person has commented on the unevenness of the total package.

Anyone know of a 'magical exercise' I can use to build up my lower abs, specifically the middle 2? I do a ton of body weight ab exercises to no avail.

Thanks!
    Jason

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's one muscle, dumbass.
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000)

Talking

Originally Posted by Morbid_Mind
    PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REPS

Remember the future. lebronjames's Avatar
    lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, you're an idiot, there are different exercises to work on lower abs, upper abs, etc.
    The block of granite that was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong.

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lebronjames
    No, you're an idiot, there are different exercises to work on lower abs, upper abs, etc.
    Name them slick. It's one muscle, "rectus abdominis" seperated by the "linea alba" that runs down the center of the muscle and the tendinous inscriptions that run horizontally. Next time open up a f'ing biology book

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000) tranceaddict is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Name them slick. It's one muscle, "rectus abdominis" seperated by the "linea alba" that runs down the center of the muscle and the tendinous inscriptions that run horizontally. Next time open up a f'ing biology book

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html
    owned

lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're both wrong.

Each individual pack is a different muscle. Not only can you work lower, upper nd middle, you can work each individual pack. My ab routine consists of top right oack crunches, top left pack crunches, middle right and middle left pack crunches, lower right pack leg raises, and lower left pack leg raises.

All joking aside, the sixpack is just one muscle, the rectus abdominus. The only way you can work is by decreasing the distance between the ribcage and pelvis, so the whole muscle contracts. You can't single out 'lower abs', its a myth. You might say 'oh but I feel the lower abs working more when I do leg raises'...well, not really. Thats the hip flexors contracting and any action in the rectus abdominus is lactic acid build up from stabilising the spine, which is what it does when you perform movements like those. It's like saying you can build a big chest by unracking the barbell and holding it above your chest for a certain amount of time.
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf

Jan 06- buff(apparently) @ ermm i dunno, still have a gut though,

long term goal= jacked @ 7% bf, get the damn abs to show themselves

Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blacbzkit2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by lucious
    You're both wrong.

Each individual pack is a different muscle. Not only can you work lower, upper nd middle, you can work each individual pack. My ab routine consists of top right oack crunches, top left pack crunches, middle right and middle left pack crunches, lower right pack leg raises, and lower left pack leg raises.

All joking aside, the sixpack is just one muscle, the rectus abdominus. The only way you can work is by decreasing the distance between the ribcage and pelvis, so the whole muscle contracts. You can't single out 'lower abs', its a myth. You might say 'oh but I feel the lower abs working more when I do leg raises'...well, not really. Thats the hip flexors contracting and any action in the rectus abdominus is lactic acid build up from stabilising the spine, which is what it does when you perform movements like those. It's like saying you can build a big chest by unracking the barbell and holding it above your chest for a certain amount of time.
    own3d

SupermanC19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SupermanC19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    So nobody knows any good exercises? Guess I'll have to do my own research. Thanks for the help and courtesy.

Jason

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can't see the lower ones because there is fat between them and the skin.

Lower your bodyfat with whatever exercise/diet option you choose, the other one's will show up.
    *No Crew*

kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmac12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SupermanC19
    So nobody knows any good exercises?
    Yeah, put down the pizza.

Your top 2 show up because your bf is probably not low enough. The top 2 are the first to show up.

SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Some people are at a genetic disadvantage because of the way their rectus abdomen is shown. If you're one of those people, it will be extremely tough for you to get the bottom part of your abs to the show with the same proportion as your upper abdomen. The only real solution is to lower your body fat as you tend to store more fat in the lower area of your stomach which might cause some of the smoothness at the bottom part of your abs.

This is the same reason why some people can get "8 packs" and others only "4 packs" or "6 packs".

As for exercises, pick any one which will allow the full rectus abdomen to complete a full contraction. Some good ones are decline situps, crunches on feet flat on floor without support, cable crunches, etc.

NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NecroSavanT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've seen a guy once (he worked as a dancer in a nightclub, so he had really low bodyfat) who had 24 or maybe 36 pack. No ****. He had lots of small packs, it looked great.
    Last edited by NecroSavanT; 02-23-2006 at 09:57 AM.

WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by NecroSavanT
    I've seen a guy once (he worked as a dancer in a nightclub, so really ha had low bodyfat) who had 24 or maybe 36 pack. No ****. He had lots of small packs, it looked great.
    so uh, how was the nightclub

SugarJay3521 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarJay3521 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyway, other than diet like others have said, I do hanging leg raises with say a 15-20 lb. dumbbell in-between my feet to work mine. But yeh, mainly the diet. -Jay
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -Gen. George S. Patton

Originally Posted by SM373
    Some people are at a genetic disadvantage because of the way their rectus abdomen is shown. If you're one of those people, it will be extremely tough for you to get the bottom part of your abs to the show with the same proportion as your upper abdomen. The only real solution is to lower your body fat as you tend to store more fat in the lower area of your stomach which might cause some of the smoothness at the bottom part of your abs.

This is the same reason why some people can get "8 packs" and others only "4 packs" or "6 packs".

As for exercises, pick any one which will allow the full rectus abdomen to complete a full contraction. Some good ones are decline situps, crunches on feet flat on floor without support, cable crunches, etc.
    Thanks for the reco's.

As far as pizza goes, my diet is super clean and has been for a long time... that's not the problem.

My body fat is somewhere between 12 & 13%. Is there a specific number where people generally start to see real definition show up?

Thanks
    Jason

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the reco's.

As far as pizza goes, my diet is super clean and has been for a long time... that's not the problem.

My body fat is somewhere between 12 & 13%. Is there a specific number where people generally start to see real definition show up?

Thanks
    Jason
    I think %10 should pretty much get you all 6, genetics permitting.
    *No Crew*

Ok so just keep truckin until they pop up.

I get a great ab workout by doing cable crunches. Since the general concensus here is that it's impossible to target any one part of the abdominals, is this exercise evenly working the entire abdominal muscle?

What I'm asking is, can I stick to cable crunches and hanging leg raises as my primary ab exercises and see good results? I want to build size.

Thanks again,
    Jason

Ok so just keep truckin until they pop up.

I get a great ab workout by doing cable crunches. Since the general concensus here is that it's impossible to target any one part of the abdominals, is this exercise evenly working the entire abdominal muscle?

What I'm asking is, can I stick to cable crunches and hanging leg raises as my primary ab exercises and see good results? I want to build size.

Thanks again,
    Jason
    I think the general thought to getting size would be to do weighted decline situps.

I don't do them so I can't comment on their effectiveness.
    *No Crew*

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kmac12
    Yeah, put down the pizza.
    They're called "plate pushaways"
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Remember the future. lebronjames's Avatar
    lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000) lebronjames is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lucious
    You're both wrong.

thats what i meant, i meant to say that the thread starter wants to know how to work on the different parts of abs like upper/lower

i know its rectus abdominus, but the guy was just like ITS ONLY ONE MUSCLE SO ONE EXERCISE WORKS EVERY PART OF IT kinda style
    The block of granite that was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong.

Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Next time open up a f'ing biology book
    I highly doubt a Biology book would tell you how to work your abs.

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lebronjames
    ouch
    you shouldnt flame people - others might neg you
    /M\

Who's High Pitch

legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    so when the upper two abs feel bigger than the other ones its just an illusion because theres more fat in the lower part of the stomach?

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Enough with the name calling everyone.

Originally Posted by legends159
    so when the upper two abs feel bigger than the other ones its just an illusion because theres more fat in the lower part of the stomach?
    Yeah I don't know about that... my top two are definitely bigger as in they stick out more. Maybe I am just a freak of nature, who knows...

Jason

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah I don't know about that... my top two are definitely bigger as in they stick out more. Maybe I am just a freak of nature, who knows...

Jason
    mine are like that too - I think its normal
    The fat covering the bottom 2 is definetely the last to go though.

Everyone should be doing exercises to work their transversus abs - part of the core - and a sixpack should follow as a result, indirectly. A strong core is much more functional than just trying to work the '6 pack'.
    /M\

Who's High Pitch

Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cadillac Jones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea I have like a 6 pack but It looks like i could get an eight pack if I loose the fat in my lower ab section.... Right under my chest i have 2 little packs lol then 4 big ones then under that is a big blob.

Originally Posted by Haywood Jablome
    mine are like that too - I think its normal
    The fat covering the bottom 2 is definetely the last to go though.

Everyone should be doing exercises to work their transversus abs - part of the core - and a sixpack should follow as a result, indirectly. A strong core is much more functional than just trying to work the '6 pack'.
    Cool... yeah doing ab work is not the problem. At mma training I do soo much ab work... stuff that is crazy but burns up your midsection like mad.

I think the problem that I'm having is amplified by the fact that the only weighted ab exercises I do are cable crunches while kneeling, which if, I'm not mistaken, target more the upper abs. (I know I'll probably get **** for that last statement, but oh well).

Maybe I'll try to throw in leg raises with a dumbell between my feet. See how that fares me.

By the way nice sig... Tool rawks.

J

Originally Posted by Cadillac Jones
    yea I have like a 6 pack but It looks like i could get an eight pack if I loose the fat in my lower ab section.... Right under my chest i have 2 little packs lol then 4 big ones then under that is a big blob.

Maybe you're pregnant?? Lol, jk... weird though that your 6 pack would be so prominent, but you'd still have lower ab fat. I heard a guy say an excess of estrogen sometimes causes some fat buildup there. Maybe it's worth looking into?

J