heymanwassup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

going heavy on bb rows

I tried going heavy on barbell rows today and felt a lot of strain on my lower back. I would assume that I would feel the same strain if I were doing T-bar rows. Do any of you guys feel the strain and what can you do about it?

Is0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Is0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do you wear a belt? if not, get one
    Ja ben ik Nederlands

"Everything I do, I strive to be more like you. You've taken me from the depths within and released me, freed me, into what you want me to Be. Every day I live for you, and I devote my life to you. God, you are my salvation, Jesus, my rejuvinator." - Is0, Allen

"A life unexamined is a life not worth living" - Unknown

"Once a person realizes his state of sin, his natural inclination is to find the remedy within himself. He attempts to bring about his own salvation by human means. He tries various reforms when he needs to be regenerated. As with the Israelites, he tries to become justified by the Law rather than by faith in Jesus, Rather than cleaning up the old man, he needs to be made a new man in Christ. He doesn't need to "turn over a new leaf," he needs a completely new life. The only remedy for man's fallen state is salvation by the grace of God through faith in His Son Jesus." - SOS

If you guys ever wanna talk, about anything, whether troubles, problems, christian advice, whatever it may be, I'm here.

Allen

Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Re: going heavy on bb rows

Originally posted by heymanwassup
    I tried going heavy on barbell rows today and felt a lot of strain on my lower back. I would assume that I would feel the same strain if I were doing T-bar rows. Do any of you guys feel the strain and what can you do about it?

Arch ur back while doing them, don't round it.....

Jay

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    your back my be rounded

umm, hmm.

also, make certain when doing them your head is looking straight ahead- i.e., it is NOT looking down at the ground

that may help

i've never had any problems with strainging on rows and i'm moving hella heavy weights
    Booo

yea, i make SURE that i arch my back and i look up
    do i really need a belt, this would be the only exercise i would wear a belt for. i weigh 150 and i was doing 135. that felt pretty heavy to me. any other suggestions?
    could it be that my lower back is too weaK?

Is0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Is0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do i really need a belt, this would be the only exercise i would wear a belt for. i weigh 150 and i was doing 135. that felt pretty heavy to me. any other suggestions?
    just do the amount of weight that feels comfortable, and yes, i would highly recommend wearing a belt with any excersise that involves using the back, ex: deadlifts, squats, rows, cleans, ect. better safe than sorry eh?
    Ja ben ik Nederlands

"Everything I do, I strive to be more like you. You've taken me from the depths within and released me, freed me, into what you want me to Be. Every day I live for you, and I devote my life to you. God, you are my salvation, Jesus, my rejuvinator." - Is0, Allen

"A life unexamined is a life not worth living" - Unknown

"Once a person realizes his state of sin, his natural inclination is to find the remedy within himself. He attempts to bring about his own salvation by human means. He tries various reforms when he needs to be regenerated. As with the Israelites, he tries to become justified by the Law rather than by faith in Jesus, Rather than cleaning up the old man, he needs to be made a new man in Christ. He doesn't need to "turn over a new leaf," he needs a completely new life. The only remedy for man's fallen state is salvation by the grace of God through faith in His Son Jesus." - SOS

If you guys ever wanna talk, about anything, whether troubles, problems, christian advice, whatever it may be, I'm here.

Allen

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

okay. hmmm.

question about when you do it-

1) what angle is your back to the ground- i.e., is it parallel to it, or at a 45deg. angle or what

2) do you bring the bar towards your chest, or towards your belly button?
    Booo

i just went in front of the mirror and watched myself
    i stand with my feet a lil less than shoulder width apart and i'm at a 45 degree angle tapping the bar against my belly button.

huh, well this is interesting. from the sound of it, your form is right on the dot.

the only thing i can think of is that perhaps when you bring the bar up you're jerking it up(i.e., your back is bobbing up and down)?

if this isn't the case, then i must ask how developed your lower back is? do you deadlift, still-leg deadlift, etc.. to work it?

i have a lower back injury from golfing from a few years past, and I have no problem bent-over rowing.

i don't think you should be using a belt for bent-over rowing, especially at(no offense) such a low poundage. Do any other movements hurt your lower back the same way?
    Booo

i think i might jerk it a bit at the top of the movement while doing heavy weight but i KNOW i'm not supposed to jerk so i try to pull it up slowly and without jerking. i do stiff leg dls and hyperextensions for my lower back. my lower back hurts a little when i do leg lifts on that stand where you can also do dips, i think it might be called a roman chair?

shaun_bayarea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i agree that you shouldnt use a belt...i am against belts on any lifts because it's gonna stop your lower back muscles from keeping up with the rest of your body and cause more back problems in the future...but if i were you i'd do high reps(12-20) with low weight for a few weeks and let yourself get used to the movement and then start to add more weight and maybe your lower back muscles will get a bit stronger and be able to handle it.....if you dont want to do that then i say dont do them at all...bodybuilding is a sport about being healthy and pain in your lower back isnt healthy, listen to your body and if your body says no then dont do it

my best guess/advice would be to lower it to 100pds and work up to 105->110->115, etc....

what may be happening, that you're not even realizing, is your body is jerking the weight up more than you think, stressing out the lower back.

i know, you're probably thinking 100pds is nothing. that's fine. do 6reps with 100% proper form(meaning not the slightest bit of jerk). then 105@6. When you get a weight you can't handle without jerking, work on getting 6quality reps and go from there

sorry, but that's, from the description, the best advice i can think to offer- work up slowly and find where your sticking point is and work with it

remember- no jerk when lifting and that may solve your problem.
    Booo

ok, thanks a lot, i really appreciate the help everybody!

lsd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think you need to worry about the pain. it will probably go away soon.
    Same exact thing happened to me when I started doing BB rows. the pain went away after like 3 workouts. I also noticed that slightly bending your knees decreases the pain significantly.