Gr8Gains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Very Unusual Beginner Routine - Let me know what you think.

So I've asked a few questions, read a few posts, looked at dozens of workout routines, read heaps of articles, thought about my current fitness levels/concerns, thought about my goals, and have finally come up with a 2mth routine to start me on my way.

It is partially based off of the The Eakin Workout from the workout database, but I have adapted it to suit my current short term goals and tried to be a little creative at the same time.

This routine is done on Mon, Wed, Fri with in between days being rest days. Week 1 - Monday is performed @ 50%/RM. Wednesday is performed @ 60%/RM. Friday is performed @ 80%/RM. Week 2 - Performed in reverse. Week - 3 All workouts performed @ 70%/RM. Week - 4 performed @ 100%/RM. Then increase RM by 10% and repeat 4 week cycle.

Traps Dumbbell Shrugs - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Shoulders Front Dumbbell Raise - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Chest Bench Press - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Chest Decline Bench Press - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Chest Butterfly - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Tricep Press/ Dumbbell - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Tricep Push Down/ Rope - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Biceps Close Grip EZ Bar Curl - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Abs Cable Crunch - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Lats Wide Grip Pulldown - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Middle Back Seated Cable Row - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Lower Back Hyperextensions - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Hamstring Laying Leg Curls - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Hamstring Seated Leg Curls - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Standing Calf Raise - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Quads Leg Press - 8 Reps X 3 sets
    Forearm Wrist Curl - 8 Reps X 3 sets

Now I know your all going to yell at me cause I haven't included squats, deadlifts, military press etc... but the reason for this is because of my lower back an knee concerns. I thought it best to just strengthen and condition them before I go to the next level.

Time is not an issue for me so doing a full body workout on those days is not going to be a hassle. The idea was to do as much of my body as often as possible. I'm a little overweight but apart from my lower back and knees I am fairly fit. As far as cardio goes I intend to do that @ home on my eliptical cross trainer along with my stretches each morning before I go to the gym.

So fire away - let's know what you think.
    My username represents my Aspirations not my current reality! But that will change :)

Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What kind of lower back problems do you have? Leg presses have more strain on your knees than squats.

Your routine sucks. Too much in there, WAY too much, it yells overtraining. Just do a simple routine. Ass to grass squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, pullups, military press.
    Screw my logs, I won't post one up until I know I'll be back in the game for sure!

Gr8Gains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My L3 disc is herniated, which causes a fair amount of knee pain (along with the fact that my knees are degenerating anyway), this also makes very difficult for me to balance when doing a squat. Even when doing a free squat I overbalance and fall backwards. As for leg presses, I'm just going to take it easy with them.

I appreciate your opinion about my routine sucking, I know it wouldn't be everybodies cup of tea. As far as overtraining goes I guess I won't know until I get into it a bit. Before my back and knees started playing up I had done 10yrs of Budokan, so I really feel that whilst I have to be careful in certain areas... I also need to set myself a challenge... otherwise I will get bored.
    My username represents my Aspirations not my current reality! But that will change :)

Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Uhg ... injuries and training are always a touchy subject, but just let me say ... Squats and Deads are very important and if at all possible to do them, ... do them!

Let me tell you from experience that that is way too much. Even if you only took 60 seconds between sets, at 17 exercises with 3 sets of 8 reps each, you are looking at well over an hour session every time, and that is completely focused, and no wasted time whatsoever. You should be aiming for under an hour with your workouts in order to cope with rising cortisol levels.

You don't have any type of overhead press or even incline press, yet you have 2 isolation hamstring exercises, and 2 iso tricep exercise. With full body splits, you don't need many, if any isolation movements. Also, you have nothing for the medial (side) deltoids (shoulder).

Am I to understand that at week 4 you expect to be able to perform what was just a few weeks earlier your 1 rep max for a solid 8 repitions? I doubt whether that is possible, even with heavy "supplementation".

If I were you, which I was, I would pick out a good solid cookie cutter routine and stick to that, or alter it slightly, untill you get a solid foundation.

While conceivably possible, it is highly, highly unlikely that you will stumble upon some revolutionary training method which turns mere mortals into superheroes.

Do not be overly concerned with percentages and sticking to a 3 X 8 routine.

Best of luck, you will figure it out!
    Lifting Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121357031

Long Term Goals
    Deadlift - 425/600
    Deep Clean - 235/300
    Overhead BB Press - 185/200