Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question My Split! Please Critique!

Hi all, New to this board! Have been snooping around it as a guest for a long while, but I'd like some feedback on my current split! I'm planning on making a workout Journal for this split (once refined by you ;-) ).

Also, I'm a type 1 Diabetic So my protein intake won't be mega-high but i'll explain that in a journal! =)

To Start

Monday - Chest|Shoulders|Triceps
    Tuesday - Legs|Abs
    Wednesday- H.i.i.t Cardio
    Thursday - Back|Biceps|Forearms
    Friday - [Morning] Abs [Without Weights] | [Afternoon] H.i.i.t Cardio
    Saturday - Rest Day [Nothing]
    Sunday - H.i.i.t Cardio

The Routine

I'll Do All Sets With 8 - 12 Reps. Once I Easily Reach 12 Reps I'll Up The Weight Until I Can Only Do 8 Reps. [Good Idea?]

◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►● ◄►●◄►●◄►

Monday

Chest

1. Bench Press - 3 Sets
    2. Incline Bench Press - 3 Sets
    3. Dumbbell Flyes - 3 Sets

Shoulders

1. Shoulder Press - 3 Sets
    2. Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 3 Sets
    3. Barbell Military Press - 3 Sets

Triceps

1. Dumbbell Triceps Extension - 3 Sets
    2. Pushdown - 3 Sets
    3. Reverse Tricep Curl [Reverse Grip Pushdown] - 3 Sets

Tuesday

Legs

1. Squats - 4 Sets
    2. Leg Press - 3 Sets
    3. Leg Extensions - 3 Sets
    4. Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 3 Sets
    5. Seated Leg Curl - 3 Sets

Abs

1. Weighted Crunch - 3 Sets [12 - 15 Reps]
    2. Dumbbell Side Bend - 3 Sets
    3. Twist - 3 Sets

Wednesday

Cardio

H.i.i.t Cardio - On Bike

Thursday

Back

1. Deadlift - 3 Sets
    2. Cable Seated Row - 3 Sets
    3. Shrug - 3 Sets
    4. Wide Grip/Narrow Grip Pulldown - 3 Sets

Biceps

1. Dumbbell Curl - 3 Sets
    2. Dumbbell Concentration Curl - 3 Sets
    3. 21's Exercise - 2 Sets

Forearms

1. Barbell Reverse Curl - 3 Sets
    2. Wrist Curl - 3 Sets

Friday

[Morning]
    1. Crunches - 3 Sets (50 Reps) (No Weight)
    2. V-Up - 3 Sets (30 Reps) (No Weight)

[Afternoon]

Cardio

H.i.i.t Cardio - On Cross Trainer

Saturday

Rest Day!

Sunday

Cardio

H.i.i.t Cardio - On Bike

So Please give me your Feedback so I can improve this split!!

|Pilgrim
    Last edited by Silent_Pilgrim; 02-06-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Edited The Pulldowns Issue. Thanks Skarotum!
    Itsudemo, Dokodemo, Tsuneni Nensyuu, Ke****e Yasumazu.

Wherever You Are. Always Training. Never Resting. No Holidays....

◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►●◄►

Never Fight With A Moron. They'll Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience!!

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pulldowns(wide grip and close grip) are for your back, not your shoulders. Put them on your back day.

Other than that it's not bad.

Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silent_Pilgrim is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks skarotum issue fixed! =)

Reps (if i can give them out with this low reps :S )

Never Fight With A Moron. They'll Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience!!

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are doing 2 pressing movements for shoulders which is kind of redundant. I would take out one of the pressing movements and maybe add front raises or rear laterals or both, depending on your delt development.

I'd ditch the lunges on leg day and do stiff legged deadlifts. You already have 3 quad exercises and only one hamstring exercise so that'll even things out a bit.

legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by skarotum View Post
    You are doing 2 pressing movements for shoulders which is kind of redundant. I would take out one of the pressing movements and maybe add front raises or rear laterals or both, depending on your delt development.

I'd ditch the lunges on leg day and do stiff legged deadlifts. You already have 3 quad exercises and only one hamstring exercise so that'll even things out a bit.
    Split lunges ARE hamstring dominant?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3341191
    http://www.sfwchan.com
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3732791

Originally Posted by legendz411 View Post
    Split lunges ARE hamstring dominant?
    It doesn't say "split" lunge. Only lunge. I don't know of a lunge exercise that doesn't primarily work the quad though. Link to a split lunge?

I'd replace it with stiff legged deads either way though. 3 very taxing quad exercises doesn't quite match leg curls and split lunge for hammies.

great input thanks!

anyone else got any hints or tips or changes i should make? otherwise i'll start following it on monday!!

|Pilgrim

Location: London, The ghettos of south west London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    selector has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know of a lunge exercise that doesn't primarily work the quad though.
    Actually, quads are synergists in this case, as they extend the knee (and rec fem flexes the hip; irrelevant), glutes and hams together are the agonists in lunges, as they extend the hip.

sel

Location: London, The ghettos of south west London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)

Are you mad? Surely you are aware that compound exercises are far more effective in this case? I can see your point that dumbbell press (I assume that's what the OP is referring to) is a similar joint action to military pressing, but adding in a couple of crappy isolation exercises in it's place? hmm.

personally, I would do dumbbell pressing (seated), behind the neck presses (smith), machine presses, and then AND ONLY THEN think about some isolation movements.

I agree with you that he should add SLDLs. However be aware that the hams are VERY involved as synergists to hip extension in leg pressing and squats. Quads are a weak muscle group in comparison to the power of glutes and hams (which tend to work together).

I would prescribe Back squats, front squats, walking lunges, SLDL, and then add in leg pressing and machine isolation if necessary.

Learn your anatomy.

sel

Originally Posted by selector View Post
    Are you mad? Surely you are aware that compound exercises are far more effective in this case? I can see your point that dumbbell press (I assume that's what the OP is referring to) is a similar joint action to military pressing, but adding in a couple of crappy isolation exercises in it's place? hmm.

personally, I would do dumbbell pressing (seated), behind the neck presses (smith), machine presses, and then AND ONLY THEN think about some isolation movements.

I agree with you that he should add SLDLs. However be aware that the hams are VERY involved as synergists to hip extension in leg pressing and squats. Quads are a weak muscle group in comparison to the power of glutes and hams (which tend to work together).

I would prescribe Back squats, front squats, walking lunges, SLDL, and then add in leg pressing and machine isolation if necessary.

Learn your anatomy.

sel
    LOL
    Somebody a tad miffed? Suck it up princess, it's the funking internet.

I'm not miffed. I'm very well informed. However, as far as you're concerned I'm not so sure; clearly expressing that you "do not know of a lunge exercise that doesn't primarily work the quad". I'm well aware this is the internet. If it were not, no doubt you would treat me and others with more respect.

sel

To the OP, PM me with some slightly more specific goals and stats, and I will write you a programme. Plus, I would be happy to sort a diet for a sufferer of type 1 diabetes, if you like

sel

Originally Posted by selector View Post
    I'm not miffed. I'm very well informed. However, as far as you're concerned I'm not so sure; clearly expressing that you "do not know of a lunge exercise that doesn't primarily work the quad". I'm well aware this is the internet. If it were not, no doubt you would treat me and others with more respect.

sel
    I didn't disrespect you at all man. I just don't agree with you telling a 16 yo newb(no offence to him) that his back workout should look like this.

Deadlifts
    Chins
    bent over rows
    t bar rows
    single arm rows
    wide grip machine rows
    pulldowns
    seated rows

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7087251

Anyone see anything funny about that?
    We disagree, if you can't handle it, too bad.

Didn't clock that he was 16, my bad. I simply adjusted what he was trying to achieve. With a 5 day split and a fair bit of volume, I worked to a similar regime.

I firmly believe people do not train their back hard enough. Especially the mid traps/rhomboid area (shoulder horizontal flexion and scapula retraction) . My back workouts are always long and painful, and I have many examples of who clients have benefited from this type of training, including newbies (who were older than 16 I admit).

You were disrespectful, referring to me as princess, insulting my programme design and then using "it's the internet" as an excuse. But that's fine, I'll take your previous post as the nearest thing to an apology I'm going to receive.

Friends ?

sel
    Last edited by selector; 02-06-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Lol Sorry to break it to you..

I'M EIGHTEEN

Cough

;-)

That's fine. Good age to start lifting

sel

Talking

Originally Posted by Silent_Pilgrim View Post
    Lol Sorry to break it to you..

I'M EIGHTEEN

Cough

;-)

Oh suuuuure now you change it to discredit me. lol

lol, honest to god. i've been eighteen for a good 6 months now :P

besides. your 33... probrably going blind and dementia-ish with your old age ;-)

|Pilgrim

Originally Posted by Silent_Pilgrim View Post
    lol, honest to god. i've been eighteen for a good 6 months now :P

besides. your 33... probrably going blind and dementia-ish with your old age ;-)

|Pilgrim
    What are you talking about, I don't remember this thread................oh LOOK, a leaf,...*hobbles toward leaf*................

;p
    Last edited by skarotum; 02-07-2008 at 05:45 AM.

haha... =P

well..

Look out for my journal starting monday! i'll see how stuff works and get some feedback XD

|Pilgrim