roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Homemade: Liquid Egg Whites

I want to try this stuff (I need some added protein before bed and maybe to add to some regular meals) I don't want to get Salmonella though. So I thought I'd crack a couple dozen eggs, separate out the whites and then put all the whites in either the oven or on the stove and heat them to get rid of any bacteria and then I'd put them all into an old protein container and keep them in the fridge.

My question is at what temperature should I heat the whites and for how long to sufficiently kill any bacteria that may exist?

labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Homemade: Liquid Egg Whites

Originally posted by roobear
    I want to try this stuff (I need some added protein before bed and maybe to add to some regular meals) I don't want to get Salmonella though. So I thought I'd crack a couple dozen eggs, separate out the whites and then put all the whites in either the oven or on the stove and heat them to get rid of any bacteria and then I'd put them all into an old protein container and keep them in the fridge.

My question is at what temperature should I heat the whites and for how long to sufficiently kill any bacteria that may exist?
    Why don't you just hard boil them and then just eat the whites? I would eat some of the yellows as well. Best of luck.

iomscleo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not trying to be a smart ass or anything, because im sure you already know this... but you can buy liquid egg whites at the grocery store that are already pasteurized. i know it sounds gross but i just drink them right out of the measuring cup, its a real quick way to get a good source of protein.

brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brooklyn mike has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    iom u can are they cheap and ar eu sure u wont get samenella....
    mike

Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just hard boil them

"The problem with raw eggs isn't just the risk of salmonella poisoning. That risk is pretty small these days because of improved methods of production and shipping. But, according to one study dug up by John Berardi, the body is only able to utilize about half the protein in raw eggs. To get all the protein, you have to cook them. "

Taken from the reader mail section of issue 200 over at T-Mag.com

marktug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cook around 140 to 165 degrees F.

After cooked, store at 40 degrees F or below no more than 3 days.
    Last edited by marktug; 11-06-2002 at 06:30 PM.

bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If I hard boil like 40 eggs how long will they last in the fridge?

iomscleo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by marktug
    Cook around 140 to 165 degrees F.

After cooked, store at 40 degrees F or below no more than 3 days.
    for no more than three days seems right

labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by iomscleo
    for no more than three days seems right
    Yeah, a couple of days.

dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    3 days seems conservative. I have left hard boiled eggs in the fridge for up to a week without problems.

zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a couple of dozen eggs, say about 24- and I am thinking you will eat about 7 per serving 2 times a day
    so thats your answer. If you cook 24, that will last you a day and 1/2. the eggs wont be sitting around.
    If you are going to go through the trouble to become Betty Crocker, then make 100 % sure, just how long they will be ok before they get to the point where you puke at the first smell of it.
    Besides, how much protien is wasted after baking? and how much would you need to eat (a baked version vs egg white)?
    ****, this is so complex!! good luck