Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80
Results 2,371 to 2,371 of 2371
    Toro93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by fbcoach View Post
    To start this discussion off, I would like to give some background info about myself, the ask and discuss some questions about HD/HIT/abbreviated training. I invite others to do so as well just to get an idea of who and what we may bring to the table. My intention is not to start arguments with those either for or against HIT, but learn from your experiences and discuss my own. Here is my training background:

-I have been training over 30 years

-I worked for Nautilus Fitness Centers in the mid 70's to late 80's while in HS and college. I was privy to a lot of the original Nautilus/HIT principles and personell

-Won a few local BB titles, a State Title, and National qualifier in the mid-late 80's

-a very short stint of semi-pro football

-competed in athletics most of my life and attribute weight training to my successes

-broke my neck in 1992..had a cervical lamenctomy..have chronic pain 24/7..and was told I couldn't lift weights again

-At this time in my life I am a Divsion I HS football coach

Here are my questions to start with about HIT/HD: (remember..these are questions for learning..not to start arguments)

1) In discussions/writings about HD, why did Mike use training to failure (intensity of effort) as a measurement? The reason I ask is because Mike was an objectivist and this was subjective. Why didn't he use a more quanitative measurement? such as 1rm or 3rm 5rp 10rrm etc.?

2)On training frequency and the adaptive reserves: If a muscle adapts to increasing intensity by growing bigger, then why would you need to decrease frequency since the hypertrophied muscle compensated for the increased stress. For example: Let's say I bench press 200lbs for 10 reps to failure and 1 year later I bench press 300lbs for 10 reps to failure. Since in both scenarios I trained with the same effort (failure)..why would I need decrease frequency? It was the same intensity as prescribed by Mike (training to failure).

These are just several questions I have about HIT/HD. I looked forward to everyone's responses.
    I don't know if I'm necroing this thread, but I have something to share about your 2nd question: the increase in recovery time is because the muscles may increase in size, but many features of your body don't improve proportionally. For example: your eating capacity will possibly increase, but most likely not to the point of leveling the factors out, and the same principle applies to your organs, and most importantly to neurological aspects.