Closed Thread
Page 7 of 331 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast
    BigRig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigRig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good point Fitforlife. I have found I would rather eat less of a food that I like (spaghetti or mac & cheese for instance) than more of a food that I can't stand (like tuna, plain broccoli, etc.). When I dieted before, I used to force myself to eat a pound of broccoli with my last meal every single night for 4 months. This worked at the time, as I made very good progress. But what was the long-term effect? Well, now I hate frozen broccoli, and if I ever had to eat chicken breast and broccoli as a meal, I would be a seriously unhappy camper. It also pushed me into a 4 year period of constant binge eating, during which I went from 190 to 247.

I looked great at 190, but what good did it do me when I was only there for a few weeks, and then had to fight this binge disorder for the next 4 years and gain almost 60 pounds. If only I knew then what I know now (how cliche is that!).

The ironic thing about all this is that once you "figure it out," it becomes almost easy. Don't get me wrong, you will probably always think about food more than other people (if for no other reason than you have experienced disorder because of it). But I have been eating clean (binge-free) for 9 weeks now. And unlike other times that I have dieted, it is not getting harder as I go, even though I have decreased my calories slightly. In fact, I rarely think about eating throughout the day until it is actually time to eat. This is a major departure from 2-3 months ago when all I could think about was my next meal.

I actually had to do away with the idea of a cheat day. When I dieted before, I used this concept heavily in order to lose weight. I would eat extremely clean all week, and then on Sundays I would eat everything in sight. But I eventually found that this cheat day was simply feeding my need to binge.

You see, the reason you need the cheat day is because you are eating unrealistically the rest of the time. And it is such a burden on you mentally to maintain such drastic eating habits that you must cut loose during that one day in order to regain your sanity. But what happens when your motivation for the rest of the week begins to sag (when your contest is over or you have reached your goal weight for example)? You have created this feeling that the only time you enjoy life is during these massive eating spells that happen once a week. So naturally, you want to enjoy life more now, but this association with binging still exists. So in order to gain happiness/satisfaction, you binge.

It doesn't have to be this way. If you are eating realistically during the rest of the week, you should not feel a need to binge, ever. Not even once per week. The most I do at this point is once per week I have a day with slightly higher carbs (usually some extra fruit and a protein bar) just so my metabolism doesn't stall. But I never feel driven to binge anymore. I am convinced that the reason I have been able to get to this point is because I relaxed on my diet. I stopped thinking about it all the time. I allow myself to eat tasty foods every day (albeit in smaller amounts than before). Granted the first 1.5-2 weeks were hard because I was used to the whole lunchtime binge hour. But once my system adjusted and realized it was getting everything it needed, physically and mentally, I was on my way.

Migko, if you need professional help for depression, by all means please go get some. It will get worse before it gets better. But do not underestimate the power of ridding yourself of the all or none mentality. In your case, when you say you have 3-4 good days, then you break down, I visualize you having 3-4 days where you eat nothing but boiled chicken, dry tuna, and nothing with taste of any kind. that is exactly what I used to consider a good day. ANYTHING LESS WAS FAILURE. If this is attitude you must work on changing your perception of what a "good day" really is.

I am so sorry to ramble guys but I am very passionate about this subject because I have been there. I know that something is different inside of me now, and I only hope that others who deal with this disorder, this thing that makes you feel helpless against the evils of chocolate and pizza, can begin to experience the happiness I have found since changing my attitude and perceptions.
    Enjoy the journey!

fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000)
    BigRig, I think you are so right about the cheat meal. I think that is what did me in. It got to where they got worse and worse. It is like dangling a carrot in front of a horse. A cheat meal lets you pig out which is the LAST thing that you want to do when fighting a binge eating disorder. Once I get back on the horse (soon hopefully) cheat meals will be a thing of the past. However, I will replace it with a PLANNED carb up meal.

The other thing the cheat meal did was throw my system all out of wack. It would take me a couple of TORCHEROUS days to get back in the swing of things after that meal. Unless you can keep them under control, I would strongly not recommend them. For me this enlightenment comes too little, too late.

BigRig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigRig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually Fitforlife it is never too little or too late. It took me 60 pounds of weight gain (89 pounds if you count the last 8 years where I started out at 158) to realize that I had to change the way I did things or I was going to obtain the same results (lose a lot of weight, and then gain it all back and then some). I am sure you have not undone the last several months of hard work in only one week.

Don't wait to start. One of my biggest obstacles whenever I used to decide to start a diet was that I could never start unless it was on a Monday. I would blow my diet on a Wednesday and then think, oh well, I've blown it now, and I would proceed to pig out even more heavily during the remainder of the week thinking I was going to start back on Monday.

But when I cleaned up my act 9 weeks ago I told my wife on a Wednesday night, "when Monday comes around next week I am changing the way I eat." Her response was, "Why are you waiting until Monday." "Doesn't every day count?" I don't know why, but those four words have become my mantra.

So whenever you catch yourself saying I will start next Monday, just say these four simple, but important words to yourself.

DOESN'T EVERY DAY COUNT?
    Enjoy the journey!

blatopilot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just thought I'd share this, its not like we don't have other news issues on our minds, but I thought it was kind of important.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html
    Fear less, hope more;
    Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more;
    Hate less, love more;
    And all good things are yours.

Great article Blato. Thanks for posting that. I always felt there must be something more than just low willpower that drove me to eat all the time. But keep in mind guys that this does not mean you cannot conquer this disorder. You just have to find the right approach.
    Enjoy the journey!

OFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    holy **** I made it through my usual Thursday binge. Friday and I'm in good shape. Been making my workouts all week too (chest is sore, legs tomorrow...yuck, I hate squats).
    I have a new binge fighter freind for Keto diet. Fat free Jello (no carbs) and Redi-whip in a can (also no carbs). Had to hit it twice last night but it helped a lot. I even made it through the pizza and breadsticks that my kids ate..(birthday party).

I know I'm getting cocky but If I am still on track this time next week I'll be one happy little fatboy.

RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonJ73 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You GO boy. I think I'll hit the grocery on the way home and pick that stuff up.
    Ron J
    ----------
    Teamwork: A few harmless snowflakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction. www.despair.com

The opinions in this message are exactly that, my opinion and my view. If something is incorrect, feel free to correct me, but don't be a $&%@ about it.

migko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) migko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I thought i'd give an update on my situation. Last wednesday , i binged very bad with thoudands of calories. I did an exhasting workout that night and a a lot of cardio trying to counteract the binge. Next morning i was so bloated i didn't even want to go out of my house. So for punishing myself , i starved all day which of course was an awful idea as i binged again at night because i couldn't sleep and the hunger was out of this world. I am worrying about my health because i have started abusing diuretics so that i don't look much bloated. I know it's a bad thing and i am not reffering to otc diuretics but the hard ones like lasix, aldactone. I have also been taking in a lot of caffeine which has lost any effect on me just like effedrine. For those who know, i can take up to 20 hydroxycuts per day and not feel a difference. What an abuse...

Unfortunately the only way for me right now to stabilize my weight and not get fat is strict dieting. The thing is that i have observed that i binge whether i have variety on my diet or not. But if i have variety (the not so popular bodybuilding foods) i can't seem to be moderate. On the other hand when i eat chicken and veggies all day , i have quick weight loss which of course is counteracted by the binges but the sum of weight increase is close to zero. I know it's not a healthy way to live nor a pleasant one but i have to keep a reasonable bf as the summer is coming. I am thinking of getting proffetional help. Anybody has an idea from where to start? Psychologist maybe?

I binged again this noon, i knew it was coming. I was low-carbing from last friday and was feeling tired and sore. I had 2 brutal workouts at friday and saturday and obviously i haven't recovered yet. The thing is that i tryed anything to prevent it. I drunk a lot of water, 2 coffees with aspartame, 2 diet cokes, a bowl of veggies, an apple, i looked at myself at the mirror. Nothing worked.I will go later at the gym , it's a leg/shoulder/abs/cardio day. I should burn a lot of calories, after all my glycogen stores should be full after all this food.

Migko,

You should definitely seek professional help. You have crossed the line from Binge Eating Disorder to Bulimia. Many people think that Bulimia means eating then forcing one's self to throw up. This is not the case. Bulimia is binge eating followed or preceded by ANY purging mechanism, including excessive exercise, diuretics, laxatives, or induced vomiting.

If I were you, I would do a seach on Google for Bulimia, and find a website for this disorder. This website should have some information about getting help in your local area. If not, go to your primary care doctor and have him/her refer you to a good psychologist/psychiatrist.

Bulimia is a serious condition and should not be taken lightly. From what I have read, it is actually very responsive to treatment, which is a good thing. But continuing without getting some type of professional help may lead to long-term health issues. The diuretics you mentioned are very powerful drugs and can have acute, destructive effects on the human body if misused.

Please don't take this lightly. Asking for help is nothing to be ashamed about. Once you have conquered this disorder, you will be much happier.

BigRig
    Enjoy the journey!

fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000)
    OK, I need some help, motivation, insight. I am now spiraling out of control. (Migko, you are not alone) I had it all together until about 2 1/2 weeks ago. At that point, I started binging almost every day. I got my act together last Sunday. I started a new workout routine (cutting my workouts down to an hour or less; cut out 80% of my cardio) and upped my calories to 2600. I was doing great until today. I went to the local Ryan's and...well, there is a reason they call it the "all you can eat superbar". I don't know what it was, but something hit me. I wasn't even hungry. I just felt the need to BINGE. I tried EVERYTHING to avoid it. I drank 2 gallons of water in about 1 1/2 hours, took some chromium picolminate to try to regulate my blood sugar. Nothing would relieve this desire. I could feel an attack coming on when I woke up this morning and was just down in the dumper. I went to the gym anyway and had a good and moderate workout. Didn't overdue it, just hit the weights. I realize now that I am probably suffering from depression. I just am in the dumps almost all the time. I come to work and just sit here not motivated. All I can do it think about eating and lifting weights. Nothing in life really makes me happy anymore. I don't even look forward to going home and seeing my wife (other than the fact that work is over) I took an online test (not that this is a great indicator) but my score definetly indicated depression.

Now, I know this is going to sound pompus and not very humbling, but is there a way to get a hold of some prozac or something so that I don't have to go through the embarrasement of having a doctor exam me, looking at me like I am a freak, and then writing me a prescription for the stuff. And does the stuff really work. I know some of you out there are on the stuff. But I can't take this anymore. I am sick and tired of not being motivated any more and thinking about food all the time. This feeling REALLY SUCKS! Sorry for rambling but I am fed up with this and need some help.

I was doing great and lost it last night. BUT THAT'S OK. I usually go about 4 days, but this binge came after 10 days, and this one only lasted one evening instead of 2 or 3 days. I'm getting better. It does get easier after you make it a couple of weeks.

I work at a medical clinic and anti-depressants are the 2nd most prescribed drug of regular family practice doctors. You don't have to go to a psychologist anymore to get them. I don't want to come off as all pro-drug but, I'm kind of a moody prick sometimes and I always considered this and other emotions (eating disorders, etc) as a sign of personal weakness, but I finally broke down and hit the prozac, it does really help with the mood swings, and you don't feel like your on anything. It's not like your walking around all happy and smiling. The bumps in the road just don't seem as bad.

Originally posted by OFF
    I was doing great and lost it last night. BUT THAT'S OK. I usually go about 4 days, but this binge came after 10 days, and this one only lasted one evening instead of 2 or 3 days. I'm getting better. It does get easier after you make it a couple of weeks.

I work at a medical clinic and anti-depressants are the 2nd most prescribed drug of regular family practice doctors. You don't have to go to a psychologist anymore to get them. I don't want to come off as all pro-drug but, I'm kind of a moody prick sometimes and I always considered this and other emotions (eating disorders, etc) as a sign of personal weakness, but I finally broke down and hit the prozac, it does really help with the mood swings, and you don't feel like your on anything. It's not like your walking around all happy and smiling. The bumps in the road just don't seem as bad.
    Thanks for the insight, bro. Yea, it does get easier once you can get past those 2 weeks.

Maybe I should just invest in a tank of laughing gas. Everytime I am moody, just sniff me a little and I will be ready to go.

bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by fitforlife
    I went to the local Ryan's and...well, there is a reason they call it the "all you can eat superbar".
    Funny you said that, my mom works at Ryan's and has for the past 6 yrs. I get a free lunch and I was there today. Hard not to overeat but I had a salad, 5oz steak, the skin off the potato and then I had some fruit and sugar free whipped cream. Not bad compared to what I usually eat. I know how you feel, I am either jittery or very lethargic from overdosing on the carbs!!!

migko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) migko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    fitforlife i think our lives are very much alike. It's my second binge free day. I was eating like mad for three days and i am just trying to recover again. The problem is that i can't control my workouts like you , as i am doing exhausting workouts every time i go to the gym. Unfortunately bigrig is right. I have crossed the line. I have bulimia and depression of course. I have done excessive research on bulimia and i have all the f***** symptoms. The reports say that more than 90% who have bulimia are women. I guess i am in the 10% or even less.

Fitforlife i also think that a binge in our condition is very difficult to prevent. I mean maybe a normal dieter could prevent a cheat with all these tricks but a bulimic person cannot prevent a binge. At least that applies to me.

I would also like to take the test that u took , so if u don't mind post the adress. I am sure i will score top on depression though.

I am so miserable all the time , but when i eat or lift i feel like the happiest man alive. All my friends complain about neglecting them but i just don't feel like hanging out with them anymore. I mean , i still love them but i don't miss them nor do i want to go out with them. It just doesn't fill me up. Damn, our posts are practically the same.

As for prozac, i am sure u can find it in the black market without going to any doctor but i just can't accept that i need these kind of drugs. I mean , i know i have a problem but i can't set myself up to take them. I'd rather do a cycle

cmj912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At this point I think I'm also struggling with eating issues.

When I first started working out, I gained mass really fast but wasn't really happy about the fact I still sort of had a gut. So I did intense, crazy cardio until, at Christmas, my family whispered behind my back that I looked like I was wasting away to nothing. That made some sense, since I hadn't made any gains with weights either, and actually may have gone backward a little...

Now, I'm "bulking".... but I almost feel awful about having gained back 6 lbs, and, to make matters worse, what muscle I saw so clearly defined is getting covered up with some bodyfat. Which, I'm told, is necessary to put muscle on.

I'm never hungry; I have to force down the six meals I'm supposed to eat. And, I think I'm making the meals smaller than I should out of fear that come Summer, I'll yet AGAIN be afraid to take off my shirt.

Just not sure what to do about this.

Diamond Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks for starting it!

I am a total binge eater! I can make it all week on my strict fat-loss, six meal a day thing and then on friday or saturday I won't be able to stay out of the vending machine eating sometimes five or six candy bars in a row!...and thats to start. It's like I'm literally possessed.
    I think this is the only area of training that I have a problem with. I can run, lift and eat right all week and then blow it all in an hour.
    Then once I have binged for one day it's like I've "opened the door" and then all bets are off: I can't stop eating until I am totally distended and nearly comatosed.

I have found that Biotest MD6 is, without a doubt, THE best appetite suppressant that I have tried but I feel that I shouldnt need a chemical to give me basic willpower. I am still taking MD6, although reluctantly.

Any tips on improving willpower without "needing" supplements?

Thanks again for the thread

-Dog

Yesterday after 3 days of normal bodybuilding eating(tuna, chicken etc) i felt hungry at 3 a.m. I opened the fridge to find something to eat hoping that i won't binge because all i had was rice, chicken and eggs. This was done on purpose so as to avoid temptations. It is incredible what a mind can think when it wants to. I made some oatmeal pancakes with chocolate protein powder and egg whites , then blended some fruit with sweeteners and cinnamon. Finally it came the rice . I put on raisins and sliced tomatoes. I downed easily 150 gr protein and 500gr carbs in one meal .For the pancakes i used 4 ny-tro pro packets, damn i forgot how expensive they are. Fortunately the fat content was low but that is not the case. It was a silly binge, i didn't need it neither was i that hungry. But the crucial point is that when i go off the line a little, then i say to myself "oohhh wtf, let's go all the way, after all tomorrow you are dieting again and this food is forbidden"

I am going shopping tomorrow, i will buy a treadmill so that i can do some cardio first thing in the morning. I remember from my previous diets that cardio kind of blinded my hunger for the rest of the day. We'll see. Also i was thinking of writing down what i eat everyday so that i can monitor myself. I haven't tried that so far , has anybody tried it and if he did , has it helped him?

I think to write down what you eat helps in a huge way.

I made a chart like this

Carbs Protein Fat Calories Fiber
    Meal #1

Meal #2

Meal #3

Etc.....

Daily Totals
    Daily Goals

If you have Exel on your computer, that works good, or just a piece of paper and pencil. As I go through the day I just fill in the chart. Almost everything you eat will have a nutricianal breakdown on the label, fastfood has a breakdown on their websites.
    Carry it with you, or keep it in the kitchen when your at home.
    Get a magnet and put it on the fridge.

It's a sad day for me. I tested my bodyfat today and it has skyrocketed. 21%!!! Damn,although i am holding a lot of water. Yesterday i must of ate over 700gr carbs and over 10gr of sodium. Do u think it could inerfere with my bodyfat testing?

In April of 2002 i was at 10% and 180lbs. In April of 2003 i am 210lbs and 21%. Although last year i was on a ****load of drugs , i was looking great. Last year i thought i wasn't good enough and wanted to take it even further. I took it, and look where it has gotten me. From a muscular guy with veins everywhere i went to a michelin type of guy who struggles all the time to get rid of the water that he is holding from all the food he is eating. Sad enough.

Although i binged last year too, i had better insulin sensitivity and the drugs were making up for my binges. Now that i am clean, i am turning into a water balloon and slowly into a fat guy.I am seriously into a weak condition right now. I know a lot of guys that are "on" and are looking great and frankly i miss the feeling of the steroid pumps. I have to be strong damned! I must stay clear

Migko, I am right with you bro. I have pretty much gained most of the weight back that I worked so hard to get off. I am around 193 right now. 3 1/2 weeks ago I was at 170. But, through all of this I have realized that most of my problem is psychological. I understand what alcoholics and drug abusers go through. My body has gotten so use to all the food that I have been getting it, that when I try to eat clean and stay on my diet, it goes into withdrawal. The cravings are out of this world. I am not hungry, but I just crave food. I am truely a food alcoholic. I wonder how long I can go this time before I finally say enough. It took me 3 months last time to say enough. I don't think I can put up with this for that much longer.

Migko, as far as advice, all I can say it take it day by day. DOn't look at yourself and say,"Man, I looked so much better this time last year." Look at yourself and say,"I look better than I did last week." BigRig has an excellent quote that helps me,"Don't strive for perfection, concentrate on progress."

Today i did something completely unexpected. Last night i did an incredible workout (legs/shoulders) and when i got back home i was hungry as hell. So i ate a lot, not binged just ate a lot. I woke up this morning very hungry again but craving sugars. So i went at this huge supermarket feeling hungry (big mistake). So i started getting various things, mostly fatty and sugary stuff . Brownies, breads, cakes u get the point. I was so happy when i was buying those things. I couldn't wait for the time getting back at the house and eat them. I knew i would binge on them. But while i was paying for them , i felt so guilty just looking at the items i was buying one by one. I was feeling like ****, there could be 50000 kcals in those bags. I knew in a matter of 4-5 days all of these would be in my stomach. When i got out of the supermarket there was this mother and her child lying on the ground and begging for money. Without a second thought i gave her ALL the things i had bought. Suddenly i felt great , not only because i helped those poor people, but also because i wouldn't eat all those crap. I am no rich but really i don't care for any of that money. I got back at the house and ate my normal oats and felt even better.

This is another proof that binging doesn't mean lack of will and dicipline. It is 100% psychological. I am sure that if i had started eating those things , i would have ate them all, so it would seem that i have no dicilpline. But i didn't taste anything and i gave them all away. So it now seems that i am diciplined enough. It makes no sense that way. Binging and dicipline have no connection with each other...period

janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) janderstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    mugko, that is excellent that you gave that family those goods, they could really use them, and in a good way be satisfied by them. Bro I like many others here have been in your shoes, and even worse I have done the binge than the relentless purge, so bro you are doing great. Although you state that bingeing has nothing to do with discipline, I beg to differ, I feel that disciplie is a psychological state, and by being strong is one way of controlling this disorder. Keep it up brother, you know God works in mysterious ways.
    AOK

I hope you all are doing OK. Make sure that you don't quit coming here because you are ashamed. Trust me, I know the feeling, and it does nothing but make the problem worse. That is why this thread is so important. We are not here to judge you, say you lack discipline, or criticize your weight gain. We are here as complete, unconditional supporters.

I personally have been where you guys are. And although I have recently begun to take more control of my eating habits, I still have the gnawing fear in the back of my mind that my struggle with this disorder is not over. Everyday I fear that I may slip and fall and never make it back up. After all, it's happened before. I do have one comfort though. I know that if I do slip and fall, you guys will be right here waiting for me to help me through it.

Sometimes the people we are close to cannot begin to understand, much less help us with this disorder. You see, they are in denial because they want to see us as strong and invulnerable. But the truth is, when you reach a point where you live for your daily binges, and then you live with the resultant feelings of guilt, discomfort, and hopelessness, you are anything but invulnerable. In fact, you sometimes feel as if life really isn't worth it.

Rest assured it is worth it. There will come a day when food does not seem like the enemy, when your thoughts will not center around your next opportunity to stuff yourself, and your mind will be "FREE" to think of more important things. This is when you realize that it is worth it. The clarity that comes with clearing your mind of this affliction is almost frightening. Now I may not be cured forever, but I do know that the past 12 weeks have been about the happiest and most rewarding of my life. And it is not because I have gotten into great shape (I still have a ways to go), it's not because I have lost 26 pounds, and it is not because I feel better physically. It is because my obsession with food has gone away.

I don't think about it every waking moment. I don't stress about it all the time. I don't feel miserable because I am on some unrealistic diet. I feel free. I feel like I can only imagine the people of Iraq must feel now that the hands of a ruthless dictator have been removed from their collective throats.

My point is this, don't despair. In time you will come about a method that works for you. Try various binge eating disorder books (they have detailed plans to overcome the disorder). Utilize these methods along with your own twists and turns and eventually you will come across something that makes it work. And it will all be worth it. Trust me, I suffered horribly from this thing for over seven years. And I remain cautious even now. But life is so much better when your mind is free!
    Enjoy the journey!

Mr. H has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

do I have a problem?

Hey all, I've wanted to get this off my chest for a while.

Basically, I started out life being fat, then I was skinny for 2 years, then fat for about 6 years until freshmen year in highschool where I just grew to a super tall height. Now i'm 6"4', 200 with not too much muscle. I have always been made fun of for either being fat or skinny, never did I every not be made fun of for being neither.

Well, since I can remember, I've always had issues with my image. NOw I know it sounds crazy, but I have to literally excuse myself from work, or lifting, or when I'm at the mall, or anywhere, jsut so i can GO LOOK IN THE MIRROR! I mean, I just get an urge to go and check myself out. LIke, I have to sit there in front of the mirror, looking at different angles, just so in my head I say to myself "you're ok, be confident" It's like, if I don't have a mirror I get sort of depressed, or worried about what I look like, and I lose confidence. But then I get to the mirror, and hopefully, I come out feeling better.
    Is this normal? I think I look in the mirror at least 30 times a day sporadically, sometimes staring at myself for many minutes just to tell myself it's ok.

I guess I"m just looking to see if anyone deals with these image issues, and you can overcome them
    thanks
    I'm weak and puny, but I'll get big, cuz I'm Mr. H

atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hello,

I am glad I found this thread. Anyway, someday I would really like to study eating disorders but I need a little brake from school.

As for Mr H. You might. To me, if it interfers with you daily life and function then I would classify it as a problem. As for your solution, I have no idea. I have been with image problems for a long time. I don't know if your would be considered an eating disorder or maybe a image disorder though. Perhaps, BBDM or something.

As you can see from my stats, I started at 252. Within a year, I was 132. Before I used to binge and binge and binge...Then I started to exercise and I binged on that. Stopped eating. I realized that I had a problem at 132, when I was passing out and really sick with strep throat, my doctor told me I need to gain weight and "eat something". To make a long story short, I have been in the distorted image boat ever sense. AT 132, my goal was 125. I was trying to lose my extra skin. Yeah, anyway...
    After, I was forced to quit exercising I balloon to 180. I dieted down again but...I forever go through phases of binging. Today for example. Oreo are my destroyer.

For me it is time that has been the most important. For others I am sure that therapy is a good option. I have not gotten completely rid of my issues but they are not near as intense. Just a worry not an anxiety like before. Ironically, now it is not just thinness that I am concerned with. It is both enough muscle mass coupled with thinness of the waist. Also, I think about the scar from the surgery to remove my extra skin as well. AFter all that weight loss my skin was destroyed. I had a lot removed. The cost was a horrible scar which adds to everything. Oh fun. Perhaps, my biggest fear though besides being fat again is fail what control I have. I go through periods when I can be perfect but every once a while a bad patch happens.

Registered User nolimitsfor2003's Avatar
    nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    binge throw up question

lets say you binge and then throw up your meal cause you just stuffed yourself and then you throw up untill nothing is in your systme untill you are dry heaving. Could you eat a normal bbing meal after that like nothing happend did all the food you just ate get out of your systme or will there be some traces of food that did not fully leave you

could you try to get back on the right track and then eat a normal meal after something like that happend
    no great man ever thought him self so

with out the mind the body weight don't mean nothing

T-ViXeN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

wow

i'd just liek to say thank you and congrats to everyone who has contributed to this thread. it's the first one i've come across that deals with eating disorders and related issues. i had no idea how prevalent it might be among the bodybuilding community, although it doesn't surprise me; i think it's great to know i'm not the only one

i spent the better part of my teenage years as a bulimic. my weight fluctuated so drastically i went from 180 lbs down to 103 in about 6 months, then proceeded to yo-yo up and down until in 1998 i was sick of my regime and met someone who introduced me to weight lifting. with my new found lifestyle i learned a lot about eating properly (went from vegan to carnivore literally overnight) and the importance of proper exercise. i've even gone so far as to pursue a kinesiology degree (graduating in August) because of my love of health and fitness. it's funny, tho how i picked bodybuilding as a lifestyle, when it's probably the most mind-screwing (for lack of a better term) sport in the world. most people who know me and knew me when i was 'hardcore' bulimic would assume i'm ok now. i personally believe you are never cured of an eatign disorder, as the compulsive nature of it may transfer over to other areas of your life. personally, i'm a workaholic.

i attempted to do ashow 2 years ago. i trained and dieted for an entire summer and through mid october (show was in november). meanwhile i had no idea what i was doing, and although i was about 135, i wasn't overly lean. i decidesd not to compete because i had a bad relapse where i was spending about 25 bucks a day on crap at the university, gorging myself, and finding a secret place to throw it up. this lasted for about 4 or 5 weeks until i knew i had to stop or i would go right back to where i started. i got a lot of flack from some other competitors that year because i decided to quit, but i think i did the right hting. now i'm 2 weeks out from my 2nd show and although i've gone and gorged and purged 1-2 x/week for the past 3 or 4 weeks, at least it;s not a daily thing. i'm sure this doesn't sound great, but as i stated before i dont think anyone is ever truly cured of an eting disorder, and for me i think i will always have some moments where i relapse, albeit breifly.

anyways, thought i would add my 0.02 and get this off my chest. its ncie to know there's others here in the same boat. thanks for listening folks

atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250) atticus_a has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Vomiting doesn't get ready of calories. You still process about 48 to 52%. Even when you vomit to dry heave. The one thing that you can do when you eat like that is sort of just pick up and go on. It sucks I know.

I am also a workaholic

NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I didn't read this whole thread but I'll admit I too have an eating problem. I'm in pretty good shape (185 10% BF at 5'8) and two years ago I was 180 and 25% BF. I still think I look absolutely horrible though. I used to cut for like three days with a good strict diet think I was getting emaciated looking, switch to a bulk for a few days (clean), think I got fat switch back and forth. Things have cleared up for the most part recently because I've been getting alot of positive compliments but its still in the back of my head. And I know I would be much better off bulking for 2 months, cutting for 1, bulking for 2, etc.. I have been fairly consistant recently.
    weight training is the easiest thing to understand and the hardest to actually implement. - Dr. Ken Leistner

Miracles are attested, but what if they're instead some mix of charlantary, unfamiliar states of consciousness, misapprehensions of natural phenomena, and mental illness? No contemporary religion and no New Age belief seems to me to take sufficient account of the grandeur, magnificence, subtlety and intrcacy of the Universe revealed by science. The fact that so little of the findings of modern science is prefigured in Scripture to my mind casts further doubt on its divine inspiration. - Carl Sagan

Registered User nolimitsfor2003's Avatar
    nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nolimitsfor2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by atticus_a
    Vomiting doesn't get ready of calories. You still process about 48 to 52%. Even when you vomit to dry heave. The one thing that you can do when you eat like that is sort of just pick up and go on. It sucks I know.

I am also a workaholic
    so you are saying that lets say you eat something that is 500 calries and like 50g oc carbs 20g of fat and like 10 g of protein that your body will digest like 250 calories 25g of carbs and like 10g of fat anf 5g of protein

by pick up from there did you mean that if you throw up or someting you should then continue to eat normal from there like a couple minutes after you throw up eat a normal bbing meal or like 2 hours laters or whatever try to get back on track
    no great man ever thought him self so

with out the mind the body weight don't mean nothing