• 3 1/2 ★★★☆

30 13.95%
  • 3 ★★★

14 6.51%
  • 2 1/2 OR below <= ★★☆

5 2.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rate him!

VolumeTraining has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VolumeTraining has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VolumeTraining has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rate him!

Mike Menzter. Don't discuss about his advocated H.I.T., Let's rate his physique

Using the judging criterion in 1980
    (not Ronnie's bigger (gut) means better)
    Also consider sport drugs were not very advanced

5 stars is full mark and 3 is a pass

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=933431

Walkin'tall machinegunman PrivateBaldrick's Avatar
    PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Of all the times to start a thread about Mike Mentzer.

Registered User Contract Killer's Avatar
    Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's a good pic because of how he dominates that pose. No personality though, the guy was such a drag.

Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slash_ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'll give him a 4
    ears and titties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV6z0xh2gl8

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    well, keeping in mind the time frame, I'd give him a 5.

he had the ideal physique, IMHO. Hate his training methodology and how poorly hehandled the politics of the sports (politics are everywhere!), but you gotta give credit, the man had a physique to die for, and one of the ones that I would love to look like, point blank.

here are some pics
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kethnaab; 02-19-2006 at 12:39 AM.

flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kethnaab

he had the ideal physique, IMHO. Hate his training methodology and how poorly hehandled the politics of the sports (politics are everywhere!), but you gotta give credit, the man had a physique to die for, and one of the ones that I would love to look like, point blank.

here are some pics
    That fourth picture is amazing. So thick and so proportionate!

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    exactly. I don't know how someone rated him a 3, probably due to the obnoxious HIT Jedi's that annoy posters all over the internet. :P

The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100) The_One77 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Tbh i dont really see what the fuss is, he was good for his time undoubetly but if you compared him to todays Bodybuilders he would make my top 10.
    I personally thought Arnold in his prime looked better

Originally Posted by The_One77
    Tbh i dont really see what the fuss is, he was good for his time undoubetly but if you compared him to todays Bodybuilders he would make my top 10.
    wow. no ****? seriously? wow. I never would've thought that.

Pretty moronic statement. You don't compare yesterday's bodybuilders to today's because *dingdingding* there is a slight difference in the quantity and quality of the "supplementation process"

Originally Posted by The_One77
    I personally thought Arnold in his prime looked better
    Menzer had much better symmetry and proportion, but Arnie had much better standout bodyparts (shoulder-waist ratio, pecs, biceps)

a case could be made for either, but overall, I agree with you.

Iron_Fist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

here are some pics
    the 4 pic is f******* good
    well balaced

AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    please stop with the 'drugs today are so much better' nonsense because for a lot of instances it's not true. there were drugs then that you cannot get today. the knowledge has increased. its the evolution of a sport, stop trying to pawn everything off on drugs.

vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10) vdWesthuizen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    mentzer had the kind of physique i'd dream of having, but what is he trying to be chuck norris or something? GET RID OF THE MUSTACHE

Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mr. Shoulders

Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life

Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Apparently theres a large number of people who would never qualify mentzer as anything over 4.5... because he's white.
    Check out the race thread currently growing right now and see how so many people actually believet that whites don't have the genetics to be perfect.

Incidently. Mike was (and is still) the only bodybuilder in history to record a perfect score in competition.
    Comparing him to anyone else is subjective, as is the sport of bodybuilding. That being said... I give him a 5.

AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Clark Lambert
    Apparently theres a large number of people who would never qualify mentzer as anything over 4.5... because he's white.
    Check out the race thread currently growing right now and see how so many people actually believet that whites don't have the genetics to be perfect.
    thats because people are stupid, and tend to forget history....

War against genetics chan_ho_nam's Avatar
    chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000) chan_ho_nam is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Clark Lambert

Here you go again twisting peoples words around. Is this the ONLY way you can win and argument or feel good about yourself?

Geez....at which point did we say white athletes don't have the genetics to be perfect? Me especially, all I was trying to say is that certain races may have genetics that will help them in certain sports.

I'm going to keep hounding you until you acknowledge this fact, the last 12 record holders for the past 40 years, in the 100 meter dash were black athletes. Where are the contenders and record holders of other ethnicities?

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I gave him a 4- he wasn't as cut as Franco or Zane. I went a Mentzer seminar in 1983 at the U of Minnesota it had a profound influence on me- the guy was very smart and ahead of his time. Very bitter as well.

Originally Posted by AangleN
    please stop with the 'drugs today are so much better' nonsense because for a lot of instances it's not true. there were drugs then that you cannot get today. the knowledge has increased. its the evolution of a sport, stop trying to pawn everything off on drugs.
    Here's some stuff in widespread use that weren't available or used "back then":
    clenbuterol
    IGF-1
    HGH
    insulin
    DNP

now how about you list up what is no longer available that was available then?

on a side note, not everyone wants to hear about "the race card". You have a very long thread on it, if you could please keep that type of discussion contained within that thread, then many of us would appreciate it. thanks.

Here's some stuff in widespread use that weren't available or used "back then":
    clenbuterol
    IGF-1
    HGH
    insulin
    DNP

now how about you list up what is no longer available that was available then?
    ok dude, HGH has been around for a very long time. it used to be made from animal pituitaries, now it is synthetic. insulin has as well....uhhh, was no one diabetic 30 years ago?

you cannot get true parabolan now, turinabol (until very recently), primo is faked quite often, drive has found its way off the market, the list goes on, but those are the most well known.

not to mention the fact that it was much easier to get high quality pharmaceutical drugs, rather than mexican BS or some junk made in a chinese bath tub.

i'm sick of people deep throating guys of 30 years ago saying that the only reason people are good now is because of drugs. its total horse****. nutrition, supplements and training methods have advanced greatly in that time frame, as well as the sport as a whole. guys now make 100% of their living off of bodybuilding, this was not the case 30 years ago.

every sport evolves, compare guys to those in their era since that's really the only time when it's relevant. this is the same nonsense as people saying babe ruth would hit 90 homeruns now, it's completely unrealistic and unfair to both parties.

Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mike Mentzer looked good... I've seen old pics of him without the mustache (or just imagine him without it) and he's a stud. With that thing he looks like Ed Corney and it distracts my attention from his body. Just a pointless thought.

ok dude, HGH has been around for a very long time. it used to be made from animal pituitaries, now it is synthetic. insulin has as well....uhhh, was no one diabetic 30 years ago?
    neither were used in bodybuilding circles until late 80s/early 90s. You didn't think HIT got Dorian that big, did you?

you cannot get true parabolan now,
    but you can get Tren Acetate, as well as "sustanon"-like multi-ester trenbolone derivatives which include the trenbolone ester from parabolan, as well as several other trenbolone esters

turinabol (until very recently), primo is faked quite often,
    anavar is still around and does what turinabol does, for the most part, and primo isnt' as popular in the precontest stack as masteron, winstrol or tren acetate anyway, so that is irrelevant because if the pros want it, they have sources that get it right from Schering.

drive has found its way off the market,
    because no one cares?

the list goes on, but those are the most well known.
    and as you can see, the most "well known" are, essentially, irrelevant.

not to mention the fact that it was much easier to get high quality pharmaceutical drugs, rather than mexican BS or some junk made in a chinese bath tub.
    it is quite easy to get all good substances available today. Good quality substances as well.

i'm sick of people deep throating guys of 30 years ago saying that the only reason people are good now is because of drugs. its total horse****. nutrition, supplements and training methods have advanced greatly in that time frame,
    nutrition knowledge has advanced. Now people eat a bunch of protein prior to a contest and cut their carbs down pretty low which is...what they did in the 70s.
    training? What training advances have been made? Honestly, there aren't any "new" programs that pros are using now that they weren't using then.

supplements are helpful, but creatine can't hold a candle to a-bombs or tren or the almighty test, so...

guys now make 100% of their living off of bodybuilding, this was not the case 30 years ago.
    Now *that* is a good point, and i will certainly concede that one.

this is the same nonsense as people saying babe ruth would hit 90 homeruns now
    well, he would, if he had access to the same drugs that Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds have access to.

*cackles madly* muhahahaha....

, but really.

HGH and insulin were NOT used in bodybuilding AT ALL until the mid-late 80s, and they didn't start to get used by most until the mid-90s.

IGF-1 didn't exist, and ask anyone who has used it, the stuff works magic (wish I had the $$$ for it) for both muscle gains that do NOT leave and for fat loss without dieting.

HGH + insulin + IGF1 are responsible for the extra 40 lbs of muscle you see on bodybuilders these days, on average.

Danny Padilla stepped onto the Olympia stage weighing about 170 lbs? 170!!! Lee Priests' biceps weighs 170!

clenbuterol and T3 use alone helps bodybuilders maintain far more of their muscle mass while dropping ridiculous amounts of bodyfat.

Aside from that, the biggest difference relates to the point you made about making a living off bodybuilding, that is very realistic and true.

Bodybuilders stay on cycle pretty much year round now, and get bigger year round now, rather than coming off cycle and only going back on for the 4 or so months prior to a contest.
    Last edited by kethnaab; 02-20-2006 at 09:52 PM.

Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drudge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Mike will get a 5 from me all day long.
    PWA

irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by johnnyironboard
    I gave him a 4- he wasn't as cut as Franco or Zane. I went a Mentzer seminar in 1983 at the U of Minnesota it had a profound influence on me- the guy was very smart and ahead of his time. Very bitter as well.
    Look at some pics from the 1980 Mr. Olympia. In my opinion, he won that show. His conditioning was the best on stage that day and could have rivaled many top pros today.

He gets a 5 all day long.

Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gizmosbro2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    his stash makes me think he has extra old man strength.....

a few more good ones that showcased his combination of mass and small waist

why the heck can't I get the pictures to show up, instead of the dern hyperlink?

I cannot imagine anyone giving him lower than a 4 if some of these pics actually showed up

Striving for perfection Khoostar's Avatar
    Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khoostar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with alot of people tho, the fourth pic from the earlier post, he looked good in that pic
    God Bless,
    Jonathan

well, I'm sure that we can all agree that out of 5 stars, THIS physique gets a 6.

http://bulkmuscle.com/image.php?bb=c...img=cory63.jpg

Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Clark Lambert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chan_ho_nam
    Geez....at which point did we say white athletes don't have the genetics to be perfect? Me especially, all I was trying to say is that certain races may have genetics that will help them in certain sports.
    The moment you stated a black man has superior genetics.
    Heres your exact quote.
    "Personally I think black people have better genetics in general than other races, when it comes to atheletic ability and performance."
    Last edited by Clark Lambert; 02-20-2006 at 10:48 PM.

please keep the ridiculous race discussion in the race discussion thread.

I've asked politely.

twice.