VikingTerror is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Weak squat, but okay deadlift and leg extension

Hey,

I am completely new here and actually signed up in the hopes of getting some pointers to my particular problem.

A bit about me for context: I just turned 42 a couple of days ago and I have been training pretty consistently since September 2021, ranging from 2-4 visits to the gym a week. Never lifted before this. During this time, I've experienced the usual progress I reckon. I've gotten stronger overall and can see most of my lifts improve in a steady pace.

I've mostly focused my training on compound lifts for the past year. I track my workouts with Fitbod and always ensure that my I put most of my energy into my first lift of the day, which switches between deadlift, back squat, bench press, bent over barbell rows and front squats. I then do a number of supporting lifts. I've switched between full body workouts 3 times a week, which I did for about 8 months, then switched to upper / lower split 4 times a week and I'm now back to full body 3 times a week, after a months hiatus in december / january.

So, now to my "problem". My squat sucks. There's no way around it. Both my back squat and front squat are far from where I should be. I can lift 170 kilo in deadlift for 5-6 reps. Lift 100 kilo bench press for 5-6 reps. Yesterday, I did 11 reps on leg extensions with 124 kilos. I can do 8-10 reps with 90 kilos for the barbell row. Might not be impressive numbers, but I feel like it's alright considering my level at the moment. But, I can't back squat more than 100 kilos for 5-6 reps. Around 80 kilos with the same amount of reps for the front squat.

I know that squats are quad dominant, so I should probably work on my quad strength. But at the same time, I can do 11 reps with 124 kilos in the leg extension, which according to the Strength Level website is Advanced level. I know that they are not comparable lifts, but still, my other lifts seems to indicate that my quad and hamstring strength are not a weak link per se. So what gives?

When I squat, I always do ass-to-grass for both back and front squats. I've used Iron Path to ensure that I have proper form, and while I don't have a completely straight line in the bar path, it's pretty close. My form doesn't seem to be too bad honestly. I've watched countless tutorials online and read countless articles to ensure proper form. I'd rather had have good form and do less weight, than do big numbers and not have a full and proper ROM. I don't have to impress anyone.

But my way to intermediate level on the back and front squat seems insurmountable with my current numbers, considering how long I've trained and how much I've actually squatted during the past year.

What am I missing here?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VikingTerror View Post
    When I squat, I always do ass-to-grass for both back and front squats. … I'd rather had have good form and do less weight, than do big numbers and not have a full and proper ROM. I don't have to impress anyone. …

What am I missing here?
    When you’re not happy with a lift, “always” training the exact same way is silly, especially ATG and “2-4” days per week.

Also, if you’re happy to do less weight then I don’t see what your issue is.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A leg extensions will make your quads stronger, but since you’re not training a squat pattern, like you would on a leg press, the carryover will most likely be nonexistent.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton