Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HIIT on Elliptical Trainer

I want to start doing HIIT on Elliptical rather than doing it at a steady pace.

How do you go about doing HIIT on the elliptical? Do you up the resistance and go as hard as you can during "sprint" time or do you just keep the resistance the same and go as fast as you can?

How much "machine calories" would I expect to burn after 10 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical? I am about 19% BF at 194LBs and 6'2'' and 17 years old.

BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tried HIIT on the elliptical myself..I tell ya, it will whoop you azz! I am not 100% sure about the "propper" way but i up the resistance as i speed up and also while i am going all out then lower the resistance as i cool down. I would assume it is no different than doing it on a treadmill or bike, same principles. I love the elliptical because the bike kills my crotch and with my bad knee i cant do treadmill very fast at all, maybe 3.5 tops.

Good luck, hope i helped!

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    which elliptical are you using?

there is a huge difference between them.

the way I did it was go, literally, balls to the wall for 30 seconds (I'd keep it above 120 RPM on the LifeTrainer Elliptical or whatever) then slow down to 80 for 60 seconds. I'd set it for manual and set the resistance to 5.

The Precor ellipticals are complete and utter **** in my opinion.

no ellpitical can compare to the StepMill though.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Originally Posted by kethnaab

the way I did it was go, literally, balls to the wall for 30 seconds (I'd keep it above 120 RPM on the LifeTrainer Elliptical or whatever) then slow down to 80 for 60 seconds. I'd set it for manual and set the resistance to 5.

Real stairs>all
    I don't know either lol

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    real stairs...you eventually have to come down

if I don't reach the top by 45 minutes, then something is wrong,or I am in a skyscraper I have no business being in.

BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kethnaab

It is made by life quest or life trainor..not sure but i know it is a VERY expensive machine. I did it about the same way, i kept going up a notch on resistance to make my heart rate go up. If I left it on the same resistance it would take allot longer for my heart rate to go up. I put it on manual as well and went from there. I would be sweating like crazy after about 3 or 4 min on the elliptical doing hiit.

BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKISWHACK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many days per week should I do HIIT if I want to cut? I am not terribly fat, but it seems like I have alot of belly and chest fat.

Do you think 3 HIIT days are fine and the rest of the 4 days are rest days as for cardio?

Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Iv'e been doing the HIIT on the Eliptical for about a month now. What I do is crank up the slop to about 7 and turn up the resistance to 7. I warm up for abou t 3 minutes then I'll start my sets of HIIT. I wont change the settings but when I am at a normal pace I am usually doing 140 strides per minute and when I am sprinting I am hitting 200 strides per minute. So I'll start about 3 minutes in and burn for 30 secs and normal for 1 minute. Ill do this for about 8-9 sets and I am usually sweating like mad and sucking some wind. I'll then ride normal for about 10-15 minutes and for the last 5 minutes do a couple more sets of HIIT. In the end the machine tells me I burnt about 600 calories in 30 minutes. Done.

Not sure if thats the "correct" way but I fell like I just ran a marathon and even after one month I am starting to show some nice BF% loss via the mirror anyways.

^ What are your stats one month ago and now?

What kind of visible fat loss are we talking about?

And youre the first person I have found to actually use "strides" as part of your explanation, everyone else uses RPM and all this crap that isn't on the machine I use, haha

Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pitbull2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well from no abs showing to a sign that they actually exist. I am trying to maintain 225#'s but drop the BF% ..its a slow process. I can actually see some ribs where I used to have no definition at all.

Just give it a whirl. Just got back from doing another 30 minutes today and spent about 600 cals (per the machine whether its correct I dont care) I just know I busted my butt for 30 minutes.

So your machine has Strides Per Minute? Only makes sense thats what you are actually doing is strides. At least thats all I look at other than the time ticker for my 30 second bursts. Was only able to get 8 sets of 30 second bursts today.

Well I think since you are incorporating slow & steady in your routine kind of kills the HIIT session. So I'm probably just going to do 20 second bursts with 40 second rests for 10 sessions, for a total of 10 minutes. And probably 2 mins warm up and warm down for a total of 14 minutes. sound good?

work your way up to 20 minutes, then add in a moderate speed "cruise" after you're done for maybe 10 - 20 minutes. You'll like the results.

Give it a shot Black. Sounds like you have a plan.

becoming godsized! bodybuilder45's Avatar
    bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    am i the only one who does 15 second sprints. ill do a 5 minute warm up on the elliptical then at 5:45-6:00, i go as fast as i can then jog from 6:00-6:45 then repeat. i perform 12 intervals then follow with another 5 minute cool down and i am dead at the end. how can you guys consistently sprint for 30 seconds as your interval? i consider myself to be in great cardiovascular shape and the 15 seconds kills me. if its important, i keep it on level 12 and the ellipticals go as high as 20.

Well I think at level 12 and slope at 20 your pumping like a mad man for 12 intervals at 15 sec reps. Thats more than level 7 for 30 sec intervals. I am new to it and working my way up is all. Its better than what I was doing a couple months ago cardio wise which was null.

Wow, just went to the gym and tried out my 20/40 plan.

Well I...

Warmed up for 2 minutes
    did 20 sprint/40 jog for 10 minutes
    Jogged for 3 minutes
    did 20 sprint/40 jog for another 5 minutes
    cooled down little bit less than 2 minutes

Came out to be a about 20 minute session. Sweated like a pig. Even though I sweated more than in slow and steady, the machine told me I burned less calories.

edit:Oh yeah, I was sprinting at level 14-15 and going about 160-180 strides per minute, and jogged at level 7 at about 130-140 strides per minute

CRITIQUE ME!

edit: oh yeah i feel as if I want to throw up

Je vais finir par l'avoir -=MD=-'s Avatar
    -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I tried HIIT on the elliptical last night. I'm still somewhat "misinformed" about it though.

Basically I warmed up for 4 minutes then did 30 intensive, 30 cool down for 4 minutes and cool down for another 4. Since it was the first time, I wanted to take it slow, so I just did four sets. I kept the same intensity (13) but increased the speed substantially, by 50% (from around 50 strides per minute to over 100).

Does this seem realistic? Is it actually HIIT, or some other form of cardio? Why is it recomended to do it on days you don't lift?

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For my elliptical HIIT, I do the following:

Set the incline to 6. Set base resistance to 8. Do a moderate jog for 3 minutes. Do 30/30. When I walk, I like to keep the strides per minute around 90. I up the resistance to 14 during the sprints, and then go as fast as I can (generally 175 SPM) for 30 seconds. Slow down to 90 SPM, and repeat. I do this for about 14 minutes, then do a 5 minute cooldown and call it quits. If you're doing real HIIT outside, your actual "HIIT" cycle time will be much less since you'll be so fatigued from the sprints.

artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    something I noticed about elipitical and bikes at high ressistance settings is that the exercise becomes more strength orienated rather than cardio...
    honestly, at full ressistance on my gym's bike, my legs crap out after only half a minute or so, and each pedal is pushing 200-250 ibs on the legpress....so I end up with burning legs and almost no cardio effect....weird. I'm not particular good on the leg press, but I can put down around 500, much more than the average (read not BB/O/P-lifter) guy or girl who might want to use the bike as a HIIT machine...

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're getting too much of a leg-fatigued effect, and no accelerated heart rate, lower the incline/resistance. You have to be able to reach a certain strides per minute, or heart rate per minute in order to effectively do a "HIIT" routine. There is nothing wrong with increasing resistance during the sprinting phases, and I recommend it. Think about it, when you sprint, you're using your muscle fibers to thrust as fast as you can. When you jog, you aren't. You're just hoping you don't get gassed out internally after a few minutes.

However, a mistake would be doing it at resistance 8 during a walk, then sprinting on resistance 5. It defeats the point of HIIT. You don't want to creat the illusion you are sprinting, you want to literally sprint.

Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoulders will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been doing HIIT on the elliptical for awhile now. I put the resistance at 12 out of 20, select a hill course, and do 60seconds jog, 30seconds sprinting for 15-20minutes then cooldown for 5. Works great for me.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boattherapy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I searched over 15 pages of info. covering HIIT and an elliptical machine, and this was the best thread I found. I am trying to setup a HIIT program for myself, and am looking for more solid info. covering this topic.

I'm thinking about this(not sure if it is correct):
    3 minute warm up
    30 sec. sprint/1 min. jog(12-15 minutes of this)
    3 minute cool down

Does anyone have any links, or other advice?

Tazocin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    man, HIIT is a real pain in the *** i usually set the mode/program to Interval. for 20 minutes.

intensity phase for 2 minutes: inclined 16 resistance 10
    rest phase for 2 minutes: inclined 10 resistance 4

atleast 150 strides/ minute. after the workout, just around 200 calories were burned.

would like to try out Pitbull2's method. aiming for atleast 500 tomorrow.
    werewolf training in progress...

Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll dig that thread back from the dead and post this link that explains well how to do HIIT on an elliptical machine.
    I'm sharing the info since I was looking for the answer myself and found the article relevant.

livestrong.com/article/172609-how-to-do-high-intensity-interval-training-on-an-elliptical-machine/

dragonslayerM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been looking for information on this as well I appreciate the information. Do you guys think it is better to use the armbars on the elliptical or just hold the center stationary handles when sprinting?

TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I use the bike instead but I'm sure this would work on the elliptical as well. I go 20 seconds as fast as I can and then 10 seconds at a very slow pace while I catch a breather and take a swig of water. I do this for 5 minutes, 3 times a week. Been seeing good results with this so far.
    Instagram - beyond__fitness__

Registered User Bodhi1989Martin's Avatar
    Bodhi1989Martin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile What I Do HIIT Elliptical

This is combined with normal cardio.
    60 Minutes Total
    Interval program, two minute segments, alternating level 5 to level 9.
    60-45, warm up
    45-20, HIIT, First 30 seconds max, 1:30 recovery. I do this going into each new segment.
    20-0, moderate level, cool down.
    800 calories
    I have lost 40 pounds since Feb 5th. I do this three times a week. If I feel it's to easy I increase level. Usually each week it has increased. I started at 3 to 6.
    Sweat a ton..
    May feel like puking after HIIT is done (I haven't done so.)

This seems to work well. The machine is Precor Elliptical Full Body.

FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dr. Mercola has some great explanations on his website about HIIT and the various hormonal (e.g., HGH) and physiological responses it brings about. I totally gave up moderate/low intensity, prolonged aerobics after reading his stuff. He speciflcally mentions use of the elliptical in his recommendations.

His recommendation is:
    3 minute warmup
    30 sec max effort ---> 90 sec recovery
    repeat the max/recovery cycle for a total of 8 cycles.

This takes 20 minutes. He says to do it only twice per week, or you are overdoing it and the benefits will decrease.

See his explanation here: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...interview.aspx
    He also has several videos on the site explaining HIIT in detail.

HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I up the resistance so I don't look like an idiot on the elliptical. Sprinting with low resistance requires uncoordinared, jumpy, stupid looking movements.

HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HebrewHammer5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dragonslayerM View Post
    I have been looking for information on this as well I appreciate the information. Do you guys think it is better to use the armbars on the elliptical or just hold the center stationary handles when sprinting?
    Use the arm things. Extra workout, why not? Plus it gives your arms something to do, which is a problem for me with both cardio and dancing.