Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Can't get sore lats

I do

- 3 x wide grip pull ups weight assisted (3x8)
    - 3 x seated rows (shoulder width grip, with vertical handles to grip) (3x8)
    - Bent over rows with barbell (3X8)

I get sore middle of back, but not my lats to the side of my ribs.

It's weird because 4 years ago, the last time i was in the gym for a few months, i did get sore lats there, but can;t remember what i did.

I go hard, and pretty much to failure on the final 2 sets of each exercise.

I'm a newbie who has gained 10lbs in this, his first month. my main gains are in the chest and shoulders, especially my rear-delts just seem to grow like crazy even though i have done no rear-delt work directly.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Soreness comes from the eccentric portion of the movement. Almost no lat exercise emphisizes the eccentric. Try heavy neagtives on chins, or pull-overs.
    I don't know either lol

Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Enfeebler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I almost never get a constant sore in my lats like lets say my chest or abs do, however if i strech real good I can feel my lats being a little sore.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Protagoras
    I do

It's weird because 4 years ago, the last time i was in the gym for a few months, i did get sore lats there, but can;t remember what i did.

I'm a newbie who has gained 10lbs in this, his first month. my main gains are in the chest and shoulders, especially my rear-delts just seem to grow like crazy even though i have done no rear-delt work directly.

Heavy cross bench db pullovers do it for me, as do Hammer grip chins
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do

Do your normal routine, then get on the weight assisted dip/chin up machine(if u have one)..and do some till failure. Really try to concentrate on squeezing your lats as well.
    Rammer Jammer, give em' hell Alabama

Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50) Protagoras will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wood78221
    Do your normal routine, then get on the weight assisted dip/chin up machine(if u have one)..and do some till failure. Really try to concentrate on squeezing your lats as well.
    that's what i use already, and i always do my wide pull-ups first exercise ad go to failure.

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    train your lats every day for 5 days straight

go in the 6th day, and fiddle around with the exercises and see exactly what works for you. with your entire upper body (including your lats) sore, you will find out the little quarks and glitches and weirdo-thingees that you have to do in order to hit your lats

you'll get immediately feedback on what happens if you lean back or if you lean over or if you arch, etc.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do

I personally feel that soreness is a strong indicator that the particular target muscle has been worked. If I don't get some kind of soreness/pump going on after a particular workout, I consider it a failure and will scrap it and mix it back up. In your case, it seems to me that you are doing various exericses with a shoulder width or wider grip for lats.

In my personal experience, I have had to use a narrower than shoulder width grip on all my back exercises to really get my lats working. So I have to basically use a "hands over pecs" grip. Exercises I have used to really build my my lats are:

Close grip bentover rows
    Close grip hammer chins
    Lat shrugs
    One arm db/kb rows(bringing arm cross body touching opposite side foot. Not straight down to the side like most do. Doing so in this way really hammers my lower lat insertion points.

I feel that shoulder width or wider grip builds lat width while close grip is essential for actual lat thickness. That is why my lats are always very sore after I am done training them.

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    I personally feel that soreness is a strong indicator that the particular target muscle has been worked. If I don't get some kind of soreness/pump going on after a particular workout, I consider it a failure and will scrap it and mix it back up. In your case, it seems to me that you are doing various exericses with a shoulder width or wider grip for lats.

In my personal experience, I have had to use a narrower than shoulder width grip on all my back exercises to really get my lats working. So I have to basically use a "hands over pecs" grip. Exercises I have used to really build my my lats are:

Close grip bentover rows
    Close grip hammer chins
    Lat shrugs
    One arm db/kb rows(bringing arm cross body touching opposite side foot. Not straight down to the side like most do. Doing so in this way really hammers my lower lat insertion points.

I feel that shoulder width or wider grip builds lat width while close grip is essential for actual lat thickness. That is why my lats are always very sore after I am done training them.
    Thanks for that, you might share my physiology because i do indeed always have wide grip on my back exercises, i like the feeling of it.

Now i will try some narrow rows etc, and maybe more chins over pull-ups. thanks.

YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Could you explain a bit more what you mean by these, sounds interesting.

Registered User ultraMagnetical's Avatar
    ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with DD, close grip is the way to go for lats. My back workout consists of deadlifts, shoulder with pull-ups, close grip bent over rows, and close grip T-bar rows. My lats are usually sore the next day.

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try Hammer Grip Chinups. My Lats were sore for 2 days after doing a 3 x 8-10 plan.

timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i think that people think that wide grip gets you wide. in my experience, this is not true. after doing v handle pulldowns, i felt it more in my lats than with wide grip pullups. my back used to never be sore, until yesterday. i focused more on heavy rows and v handle pulldowns and pullovers. i actually felt it more in my upper lats than lower when using the v handle as opposed to wide grip.

forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    cable crossovers always make my lats sore as hell man. It sucks.
    The best Weightlifting forum on the web:
    www.WLForums.com

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    soreness means ****

instead of doing assissted pullups, do rack chins - the added leverage will mean that even if you can't do regular chins, you should be able to do a few rack chins.
    <->

Putting BB back in B'burg IronHokie's Avatar
    IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronHokie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) isn't always an indicator of new growth. I find that on days I go heavy I am less likely to be sore. However, on days emphasizing getting more reps and really focusing on feeling the muscle contract all the way through the ROM I usually am much more sore. A mix of both these kind of training styles is key for keeping the muscle off guard and triggering new growth.

If I had to make a suggestion to you personally I would say that lots of drop sets on chins would get you hurting where you want to be sore.
    - Kevin

I build bodies for fun...

Originally Posted by IronHokie
    DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) isn't always an indicator of new growth. I find that on days I go heavy I am less likely to be sore. However, on days emphasizing getting more reps and really focusing on feeling the muscle contract all the way through the ROM I usually am much more sore. A mix of both these kind of training styles is key for keeping the muscle off guard and triggering new growth.

If I had to make a suggestion to you personally I would say that lots of drop sets on chins would get you hurting where you want to be sore.
    Cheers.

Personally, surely it is just common sense that if you are never sore on certaimuscles, there is a difference to what youare doing to them compared to the muscles that DO get sore when youwork them. I also tend to gain easier and more visibly in exercises where I get sore more easily.

Let's face it, if, for example, you go cycling hard for one hour, you will be a lot sorer than if you go cycling at medium pace.

Surely there must be some correlation of soreness to results.

My chest is the thing I can make sore the easiest. It is also the area of my body that grows by far the quickest, yet I do 6 sets for chest, and 9-12 for back. Bt my backgrows a lot slower, and is harder to make sore, despite the same intensity.

Originally Posted by IronHokie

could you please explain what is a drop set.thanks.

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    soreness means ****

instead of doing assissted pullups, do rack chins - the added leverage will mean that even if you can't do regular chins, you should be able to do a few rack chins.
    rack chins?

could you please explain what is a drop set.thanks.
    grab 50 lb weight, do chinups for max reps

drop down, lose the extra 50 lbs, do bodyweight chinups for max reps

then get your bro to hold your feet while you do chinups with some help (he helps you up, lets go of your feet at the top, then you control the motion downward)

SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000)
    2 exercises I use for lats that give my lats a pump.

Heavy close grip T-Bar rows followed by ATrainer lat shrugs.

SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i could never get sore lats until i started doing hammer grip chins, try those

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kethnaab
    rack chins?
    Doing chins with your feet on a bench.
    I don't know either lol

ah, ok. I used to steal the incline bench when the dudes were done doing their incline DB presses and do them with my feet on the end of it.

yup, that works. rack chins it is.