Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Andrew99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Bench Press and Weighted Dips on same day

I typically start Chest day with weighted dips. I'm up to BW+105 lbs. Then I do flat bench press, at around 180 or so. This week I switched the order. I found I could do 200+ for 8 reps on bp, but when I did dips later, I was struggling with bw+45lbs. No way could I lift even two plates, and this was with plenty of rest. I had no idea these exercises so strongly interacted to affect strength on one another. I had thought that bp was largely triceps, but it killed my dipping strength. Maybe I should separate these by days...?

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do dips after flat bench and have no problems with it, but I naturally suit volume training. Both exercises are chest, anterior deltoid and tricep so it will partly depend on what volume you are doing.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dips and bench press on the same day is fine. they both work chest. however as dips taget mainly the lower part of the chest i suggest doing incline bench press rather than flat.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You could just alternate which one you start with every training session.

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    You could just alternate which one you start with every training session.
    Or, you could just follow the same routine and not worry about how much weight your lifting.

-Grimface

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lower the weight if you're struggling. Make sure you're getting a good lean forward to work the pecs as chest dips are suppose too. Unless your ultimate purpose was to work the tris with the dips, I mainly use them for pec development.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Andrew99
    I typically start Chest day with weighted dips. I'm up to BW+105 lbs. Then I do flat bench press, at around 180 or so. This week I switched the order. I found I could do 200+ for 8 reps on bp, but when I did dips later, I was struggling with bw+45lbs. No way could I lift even two plates, and this was with plenty of rest. I had no idea these exercises so strongly interacted to affect strength on one another. I had thought that bp was largely triceps, but it killed my dipping strength. Maybe I should separate these by days...?
    Andrew, like Aqua said, try alternating them. Start with dips in one workout and then presses the next.

Incline DB presses and dips are my only two chest exercises so I couldn't imagine separating them. I think they go together and complement each other nicely.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not that big a mystery of why your weight decreased. and yes, it's fine to do them both.
    <->

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Andrew, like Aqua said, try alternating them. Start with dips in one workout and then presses the next.

Incline DB presses and dips are my only two chest exercises so I couldn't imagine separating them. I think they go together and complement each other nicely.
    ^^^^^^^^^

Me too
    I don't know either lol

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_

Me three
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams