jodar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench press on smith machine or db bench press?

I don't have a spotter and my gym ( a smaller gym at my work, but it's great cause I'm the only that seems to know that you can use an olympic barbell for anything).

I am doing the Rippetoe workout, except since I don't know how to do cleans, I'm trying to find out some things to sub in instead (don't want to throw my back out trying to teach myself). If you know anything I can use here, feel free to chime in.

But the reason I'm posting is that it appears that, aside from the squat racks, their other barbell stations are smith machines. They have 2 of these.

I've been only using them for the bench press, since I have no other option (with a barbell at least).

My question is would I be better of switching to dumbell bench press or is it okay if I use the Smith machine.

I was just reading the squatting thread about smith machines and would like to know before I spend too much time on the thing if it is even gonna help me.

So to summarize:
    Smith machine or free weight dbs
    and for bonus points -- what is a good excersize or combo of excersizes to use in place of cleans (until I can find someone to show me that knows)

I know that the gym SHOULD have a non smith machine benchpress station, but it doesn't. Aside from that it is great though, and it is about 1/3 the price of a normal gym and very convinient. Just trying to stop some of the "get a new gym" posts, although this will probably incite more because of this paragraph.

AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "My question is would I be better of switching to dumbell bench press or is it okay if I use the Smith machine."

Use dumbells. If you start out on the Smith, you'll only regret it later. It will be harder for you to adjust whenever you DO start using a real barbell. You won't have that problem whith dumbells

Sounds good.

I figured as much. I don't like the smith machine cause I feel like alot of times I'm not exerting force in the direction of movement.

If I'm failing on a flat bench press, I can start pushing horizontally and still get the bar up. I just wasn't sure how crippling that would be to progress.

Thanks for the feedback.

cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000) cccisdamac is just really nice. (+1000)
    The real reason I would recommend NOT using the smith machine is that it limits your real R.O.M. If you don't have a spotter or a work out partner start out with DB's you can do and eventually work your way up from there. Even if your arms give out, worse case is, is that you could drop the DB's on the floor.

AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jodar
    If I'm failing on a flat bench press, I can start pushing horizontally and still get the bar up. I just wasn't sure how crippling that would be to progress.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Don't sacrifice too much of form for heavy weights.

I know that sounds like BS to a newbie lifter, but it's true. A little cheating is ok, but if you feel like you're doing something wrong... you are

EDIT: feel free to update us on how things turn out.

yeah, it's not that I feel like I'm cheating, it is just that it lets me get away with cheating and not noticing it sometimes (if that makes sense).

On a normal bench press, if the weight starts leaning one way or the other, you know and you correct it. On a smith machine, I feel like sometimes I'm not all the way "behind" the weight. Not cause I'm struggling necessarily, just that it lets me get away with it.

That may not have made sense. The general point is that it definitely seems to help me more than I think it should.

Appreciate all the responses.

Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With no spotter I only use dbs and I wouldn't recommend the smith machine for anything really.

As for replacing cleans..... there is nothing, sorry. Cleans are a bit of a complex lift I suppose but if you start out light you shouldn't hurt anything. Maybe work up to them with some dls and high pulls and take it from there.

Yeah, I may just go really light on the cleans until I feel like I have them.

That's what I did with deads and I feel good about those.

When I'm doing a clean is it sort of like a dead, but when the weight gets just above the knee, I kinda pop my lats and then squat under the weight (while it is rising) -- catch it -- and then stand up?

I think I can do em, just kinda nervous.

Yeah, I may just go really light on the cleans until I feel like I have them.

That's what I did with deads and I feel good about those.

When I'm doing a clean is it sort of like a dead, but when the weight gets just above the knee, I kinda pop my lats and then squat under the weight (while it is rising) -- catch it -- and then stand up?

I think I can do em, just kinda nervous.
    A better question would be, "are they worth doing at all?"

It's very debatable whether Olympic lifts have much of an impact on bodybuilding. What's wrong with a regular Military press?

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nails
    With no spotter I only use dbs and I wouldn't recommend the smith machine for anything really.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well, I'm just trying to follow the Rippetoe program cause of all the endorsements it has received on here as a great beginners workout.

I'm doing squat, bench, deads on day A, and squats, military, cleans on day B. Then you just alternate weeks of ABA and BAB.

I'm just trying to stick with the program cause I don't know enough yet (from knowledge or experience) to know what will constitute a good enough substitute .

So I guess it's not that Military press won't work as much as I just didn't know anything like that so I'm trying to stick to a program for a couple months to get my feet wet.

well, I'm just trying to follow the Rippetoe program cause of all the endorsements it has received on here as a great beginners workout.

I'm doing squat, bench, deads on day A, and squats, military, cleans on day B. Then you just alternate weeks of ABA and BAB.

I'm just trying to stick with the program cause I don't know enough yet (from knowledge or experience) to know what will constitute a good enough substitute .

So I guess it's not that Military press won't work as much as I just didn't know anything like that so I'm trying to stick to a program for a couple months to get my feet wet.
    I don't know where you found that routine, but it sounds like utter garbage to me. It's like an excercise forum newbie read that those compound excercises are the best and made a routine using those movements only. All of those excercises are solid, but you don't just pile them all into one routine... it's foolish. I assume the same guy suggested you eat about 5000 calories a day, right?

it wasn't a guy, it was a workout posted on here.

I just read that some people thought it was pretty good stuff and decided to choose it.

I'm not really personally attached or anything, and would be willing to change it up if I felt like I'd benefit.

I'm really just trying to stick to something for a few months so I can see some results.

by the way, thanks again for the help.

it wasn't a guy, it was a workout posted on here.

I just read that some people thought it was pretty good stuff and decided to choose it.

I'm not really personally attached or anything, and would be willing to change it up if I felt like I'd benefit.

I'm really just trying to stick to something for a few months so I can see some results.
    The truth is, if a routine includes heavy compounds people here will love it.

What you need, is a bunch of excercises to SUPPLEMENT those compound movements.

I don't see any arm or back excercises AT ALL. You have a total of ONE excercise for chest, you think that's very beneficial? This seems like a routine suited for someone whose after strength gains more than anything

gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gdp1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Jodar if you're do decide to change programs, I'd recommend All Pro's. It's all compounds still but using a better rep range for building size as well as strength and has a slightly wider range of exercises. I'm new to all this too and almost went with SS but after reading more and more decided against it as something with higher reps and better coverage of the body seemed to be the way to go if you want to build muscle. SS is fine if you want to be a Power Lifter. Strength increases are great and definitely needed but you need to prioritise what you want to achieve.
    -Intermittent Fasting-
    -AllPro's Beginners Routine - Cycle 3-

My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151187093

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Edit: old ass thread...jc
    Last edited by davisj3537; 01-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Experience, not just theory

jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gdp1989 View Post
    Jodar if you're do decide to change programs, I'd recommend All Pro's. It's all compounds still but using a better rep range for building size as well as strength and has a slightly wider range of exercises. I'm new to all this too and almost went with SS but after reading more and more decided against it as something with higher reps and better coverage of the body seemed to be the way to go if you want to build muscle. SS is fine if you want to be a Power Lifter. Strength increases are great and definitely needed but you need to prioritise what you want to achieve.
    Strong bump.
    Cutting to 10% body fat

Starting weight January 2012 - 110kg (242lbs)
    Cut down to 88.5kg (195lbs)
    Currently 98.5kg (217lbs) (Approx. 18% bodyfat)

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would strongly lean towards the DB because I usually prioritize DB over BB. Yet, the Smith machine is also a GREAT tool for bodybuilders...
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.