Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitruvian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Motivation: Still high. My flatmate has been tempting me to cheat and I've been good at resisting!
    Don't make AN fly me over there to lay the smack down on your flatmate.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance- it is the illusion of knowledge.

Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God. ~R.C. Sproul

The Female Terminator RosieCheeScott's Avatar
    RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000)

Smile Day 12 cont.

Mental Alertness: VERY high. I think I need to stop thinking so much...

Energy: Has been high all day. Went for a 30 minute walk to get rid of some of that restless energy before lunch...Been resisting the urge for a second run or a boxing session these last couple of days...And not tired yet!

Motivation: Getting better. Only 9 weeks left now...

Mood: Happy and high!

Pump and Vascularity: Still high.

Body Composition and Look: Arms are looking good. Fuller. Harder.

Overall Sense of Feeling: Still feeling really good.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach
    INSPIRATION ~ FITNESS ~ LIFESTYLE
    Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose.

Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am happy to know you are feeling High and Positive!
    Keep this feeling...Keep up the great work!

And don't allow someone else to have you second guess your goals and determination. I know you won't let this happen...You've got that 'Fire' inside you!!

Take Care!
    In this world, there is Real and Make-Believe. To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another. ▪█──────█▪

RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Buffycat3 View Post
    I am happy to know you are feeling High and Positive!
    Keep this feeling...Keep up the great work!

And don't allow someone else to have you second guess your goals and determination. I know you won't let this happen...You've got that 'Fire' inside you!!

Take Care!
    I will NEVER allow anyone to make me second guess anything. After all, I KNOW what I want AND HOW to get there and if I don't, then the only person I can blame is myself. And I will NOT allow myself to be disappointed in myself for any longer!!! But thank you for your support
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day 13

I was really high all day yesterday and bouncing off the walls like an energizer bunny (I can understand why my classmates call me that now, LOL). 1700 came around, then 1900, 2100, and I still wasn't anywhere NEAR being ready for sleep. So I stayed UP. 0000 came and went; still my head was buzzing and my energy levels high. 0100 wandered by. I decided that maybe I should just go to bed and lie there, and that that would be better than staying up until my eyes started to feel tired. Someone once told me that 1 day out of schedule puts your body out of kilter for a day, and that 2 days out of schedule messes you up for a WEEK. Wise person; I have tested this theory numerous times, and it's pretty much on the ball. Anyways, so I went to bed. Lay there for 30 minutes; after that I must have dozed off. Waking up so late in the day today I decided to make today my DAY OFF and do today's run tomorrow. Besides, at least I can get in all my meals this way...Oh, and I won't be taking any supplements today, either, since timing is so out of whack (fingers crossed that one day won't make much of a difference)...I HATE my schedule being 'messed up'...

Sleep - Time and Quality: ~0130-1130, so ~ 10 hours sleep. Woke up a couple of times, but deep, disturbing sleep. Dreaming again. I wake in pretty unpredictable moods these days.

Mental Alertness: Very there.

Energy: 'Normal'.

Motivation: Good.

Mood: Interesting, to say the least. A bit like the weather we're having here at the moment.

Endurance: N/A.

Pump and Vascularity: Reasonable. Was higher straight after I got up.

Strength: N/A.

Quality of Training: N/A.

Body Composition and Look: Legs are starting to look a little 'heavier'; I seriously hope that any muscle I'm gaining is NOT in my lower body!!! Arms and delts are still looking full and feel hard. Abs are looking a little 'soft', particularly in the lower region, but that may just be from the 6 litres of water I've been having every day and the higher CHO intake (although NOT as high as last week).

Overall Sense of Feeling: Fine. Positive about where I am, and knowing that I will get to my competition in my best form yet!
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day 13 cont.

Mental Alertness: Still thinking hard...

Energy: Nice having a day doing nothing but chilling. Energy has not waned, nor have I felt the need to want to be putting my body through hell...

Mood: Strange, crazy, happy. I know; if I knew why I was like this, I'd tell you too...

Overall Sense of Feeling: Have DOMS in pecs and anterior delts. But apart from that, my head is getting to a great place, which means that anything else is meaningless...
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mental Alertness: Still thinking hard...

Energy: Nice having a day doing nothing but chilling. Energy has not waned, nor have I felt the need to want to be putting my body through hell...

Mood: Strange, crazy, happy. I know; if I knew why I was like this, I'd tell you too...

Overall Sense of Feeling: Have DOMS in pecs and anterior delts. But apart from that, my head is getting to a great place, which means that anything else is meaningless...
    It's awesome that your head is in such a great place. You can accomplish more than you can imagine with a positive attitude. Keep moving forwards
    Were all in this race together, the human race

Day 14

0430 - 5.5km Run:
    I broke the 4 min/km 'barrier' today! Wohoo! But let's not get TOO excited (since it didn't LAST that long). My first km was 3.9 min/km, the second falling back to the 'usual' 4.1 min/km. In that first km I felt very DISconnected with my body, like I wasn't even there at all. My body felt as if it was running SLOW, almost 'heavy'. I knew I was breathing, because I could faintly hear the gasping of air, but I felt like I WASN'T (how do I explain THIS?)...Weird...Anyways, as the run went on I came more back to reality and 'sank' into myself and started to feel my body's sensations properly. Interesting experience that; maybe what I felt during that first km was what is known as the 'Runner's High'? Surely NOT, since it doesn't normally occur until AFTER at LEAST 30 minutes of running...

Sleep - Time and Quality: ~2200-0315, so 5.25 hours of deep, unbroken sleep. Another 45 minutes from 0340-0425, and then a further hour after my run from 0600-0700, with yet MORE from 0820-0850, to make a grand total of 7.5 hours sleep. So, all over the place here. Definitely that 'out of kilter'...I feel good now, though...

Mental Alertness: Very sharp.

Energy: 'Calm' today. I could do MORE if I wanted or needed to. And I WANT to. We shall see...

Motivation: I'm determined to see this through in the way that I want to!

Mood:

Endurance: Ok. Maybe needs a little more working on

Pump and Vascularity: Not a lot today.

Strength: N/A.

Quality of Training: If I'd managed to KEEP the pace under 4 min/km I would have been over the moon. But even so, my run was pretty good; I achieved SOMETHING today, so...Good.

Body Composition and Look: Normal (for me).

Overall Sense of Feeling: Still have DOMS in anterior delts...But looking forward to what is to come...
    Last edited by Guejsn; 02-16-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Overview of Week 2

The changes made from last week, especially in Diet have made a considerable difference.

BODY STATISTICS

Body mass: 50 kg (i.e. 110 pounds)
    Body composition: 9.5% bodyfat (BF)

Comments: More mass gained, with a minimum of it coming from an increase in BF. At 49kg and 9.5% BF I had 44.345 kg LBM and 4.655 kg BF. At 50kg and 10% BF I have 45.35 kg LBM and 4.75 kg BF. That's an increase of 0.905 kg (i.e. 1.991 pounds) of LBM and 0.095 kg (i.e. 0.209 pounds) of BF. So, that's a ratio of 9.5:1 (LBM:BF) this week, which is a huge improvement on the 1.1:1 ratio of last week. I'm pleased with this.

BLOOD STATISTICS (Coming Monday)

RBC: (Normal range 3.9-5.5)
    Hb: (Normal range 115-155)

Comments:

RESTING HEART RATE: No Change (NC).

DIET

This last week I had 4 VERY high CHO (>300g CHO/day)/calorie days (~8000 cal/day), and 3 moderate (100-200g CHO/day) CHO days. (NOTE: A high CHO day is 200-300g CHO/day, a low CHO day is 50-100g CHO/day, and a VERY low CHO day is <50g CHO/day). I also ate FRUIT - TWICE - for pretty much the first time in months! I still didn't worry too much about the actual calorie intake on my very high CHO days (which I should probably start doing from now on); and looking at my 'Body Statistics' this week, what I did was reasonably successful at increasing mass of mostly LBM, so I'm ok with that. Next week I shall continue my CHO cycling, but look at making sure that my very high CHO/calorie days are NOT in the 8000 calorie/day range, but more in the just high rather than very high, SENSIBLE 'gain' calorie range for my body mass.

TRAINING

My Day Off may need to be somewhere in the middle of the week, instead of being reserved for the end from now on. Apart from that, training this week was all good and I was very pleased with the progress I made in both endurance and strength. Next week I shall continue to increase my work during my HIIT by 2 efforts per session and see how that goes, and make sure that in each gym session I continue to ask that little bit more of my body...
    Last edited by Guejsn; 02-16-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added in MY 'definition' of 'types' of CHO days (that are for ME).
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day 14 cont.

Mental Alertness: Since I've gotten up and STAYED up, I have been very much on the money, today. A good time for study to start again...

Energy: I WAS going to go for another run in the early afternoon, but thought better of it. No need to start doing 'irrational' things just yet (and if you do it right, then there's NO need to EVER do them!). Just spent the rest of the day taking it easy, spending time with friends, and letting my body prepare for being thrashed tomorrow!

Motivation: Seeing and realizing just how close I am getting to the competition (although, not really, just yet; when I'm only 6 weeks out maybe...), is motivating me to really sort myself out, and get rid of any last kinks or mindsets or bad habits that would 'slow me down' or cause me to be disappointed in myself!

Mood: Focussing on being POSITIVE. But mood is really good...Increase in libido having some effect here?...

Body Composition and Look: Breasts are actually fuller, I am noticing. Back up to D. Strange. The extra CHO, along with the huge amounts of water that I'm drinking is almost definitely playing a part in this.

Overall Sense of Feeling: Have been high most of the day.

Libido: Has been EXTREME over the last couple of days. Sometimes I can almost feel SORRY for males, if they feel like this (how I've felt probably doesn't even come close) most of the time!
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Blood Statistics

BLOOD STATISTICS

RBC: 5.4 x 10E12/L (Normal range 3.9-5.5)
    Hb: 111 g/L (Normal range 115-155)

Comments: I need to get my Hb back UP to within the 'normal' parameters. My low Hb means that my body has less oxygen available to use. A decrease in available oxygen can cause hypoxia (inadequate supply of oxygen to the body). Strange that my RBC did NOT INCREASE to try to counter the low Hb levels.

As well as getting a Complete Blood Count done weekly, several other things are tested for, among which are Creatinine and Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR), both values of which were a little disturbing, to put it mildly.

Creatinine: 211 umol/L (Normal Range 50-100)
    eGFR: 27 ml/min/1.73m2 (Normal Range 80-120)

Creatinine is representative of renal function. Increased values of Creatinine are caused by either renal disease (kidney failure) or acromegaly (syndrome where excessive growth hormone is released from the pituitary gland).

GFR is a measure of kidney function; more specifically the volume of filtrate that is formed each minute by the kidneys. A decrease in GFR is due to the constriction of the afferent arterioles (a group of blood vessels that play an important role in the regulation of blood pressure [BP]).

Afferent arterioles become constricted when renal blood flow is reduced. Renal blood flow reduction is caused by hypotension (low BP).

Hypotension can be caused by a number of things, among which are: a) A decrease in cardiac output, of which bradychardia is a cause; and b) Excessive vasodilation, which can be caused by a number of factors, including acidosis - of which hyperventilation and shock can be a cause, and postprandial hypotension (drastic decline in BP after eating). The main indicators of hypotension are lightheadedness and dizziness (with mild depression in some people). Since my BP is ALREADY low (100/50 mm Hg), either a) (although I attribute my very low resting HR and exercising HR to being very fit, others view this as ABnormal) OR b) (increased vascularity of late), and most definitely a combination of BOTH, could possiby lower it even MORE.

From this (and because these values have never been like this before) I speculate that I have had an acute bout of hypotension, and will wait for this week's results, to see whether last week's readings were just a one-off event, before getting TOO concerned...

Just a few other interesting things:

- Iron: 28 umol/L (Normal Range 7-26). Higher than the normal UPPER limits. I have been making sure that my iron absorption is
    maximized, but will need to watch the diet a little. Won't be hard. Just have more tuna and less beef.

- Free T3: 2.95 pmol/L (Normal Range 2.60-6.00). This is a DEcrease from the 3.23 pmol/L of last week. Usually my Free T3 is around
    3.69 - 4.35 pmol/L, with the 3.00 pmol/L the lowest that it has ever been. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Guejsn; 02-17-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added in Iron and Free T3 status.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day 15

0430 - HIIT Run:
    4 minute warm-up, then 28 x 20 seconds work/10 seconds easy, finishing with 2 minutes easy jogging. The higher work reps didn't bother my body. In fact, 3 sprints were 30 seconds, which meant a quick second to catch my breath before I was off again!

0600 - Quads/Shoulders/Abs:
    Started out with the same weight that I finished with on all exercises last week, but ended up having to decrease them slightly for the last 2 sets of each exercise (except with BB FS). Anterior deltiods are still a little tender from last week.

1230 - 5.5km Run (Easy):
    Yep, I went for another run. Just took it easy, though, since trying to see how hard I can push my body until it collapses is reserved for the weeks CLOSER to competition (and when I'm under mental stress as well as physical), LOL...Anyways, I set out at a pace that I thought would be ok for the entire run. At the 1km mark I checked my time - too fast at 4.12 min/km. So I slowed down a little...2nd km mark - 4.26 min/km. Still too fast. Man, forcing myself to SLOW down was hard, especially when I normally just try and complete the block as fast as I can! 3rd km mark - 4.36 min/km. I settled with that, since anything slower would have felt almost too much like a walk! But hey, stoked that the pace was 'easy' for me today (for a second run), when last week on some of my runs I struggled to push my body at 4.5 min/km!

Sleep - Time and Quality: ~2300-0315, ~4.25 hours of sleep. Deep and unbroken. I wasn't sure if I wanted to be up this morning, but after being awake for 10-15 minutes I 'came to'.

Mental Alertness: Definitely awake, especially after seeing last week's bloods.

Energy: I still have all this restless energy lurking inside, just waiting for a chance to claw it's way out...

Motivation: After reading something that a friend sent me this morning it hit me more than ever just HOW SHORT and UNpredictable life is, and how what we DO have can be stolen away so quickly and withOUT warning. There is no room or time in my life for any more regret. From now on it's definitely NO looking back. Only moving forward and striving for better excellence. To take delight in what I have while I have it. To embrace the new, even if I AM slightly wary of it, because I know that it WILL enrich my life! NOW is the time for LIVING and being as happy as we can be!!!

Mood: It has had ups and downs of late, but it is in an ever increasing spiral UPwards!

Endurance: Good.

Pump and Vascularity: Awesome in the gym. Coming out on the entire arm and not just the forearm with a hint of bicep vein, so ok with that.

Strength: Fine.

Quality of Training: I did the best with what I had and still pushed myself. I can't ask for more than that (even though I try...)

Body Composition and Look: Arms are still hard and full. Pecs are visible, but breasts are definitely fuller and larger. Adonis belt is coming out a little more. Calves are looking bigger and yet more defined.

Overall Sense of Feeling: GREAT!!!
    Last edited by Guejsn; 02-17-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added in 1230 5.5km Run comments.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day 15 cont.

Mental Alertness: Has been great all day, except for ~15-20 minutes, where I think I fell asleep over my textbooks at ~1630, LOL. You know, when you're lying on the couch and suddenly you realize that you've been sleeping with the pen still in your hand...

Energy: I feel very ALIVE...

Mood: Was a little annoyed after my brief 'nap', for no apparent reason. Still have a small lingering of something that says "no one better piss me off right now"...But hey, still in a good mood...

Pump and Vascularity: I FELT AND SAW the vascularity when it came out at ~1430. It started as that 'needle' sensation in my forearms, and then the veins started slowly appearing and coming to the surface. Maybe what I felt was the vasodilation of the arteries? Random thoughts

Overall Sense of Feeling: Ever since my second run, the VMO on both legs has been 'aching'. Even with my legs up and hanging over the edge of the couch, seated, straight, standing, or walking, that 'pain' stays; and when my knees are flexed it's almost like a burning sensation. I'm thinking that the BB FS did this, since I went lower than usual today, just BELOW parallel. But still feeling good...shrug...
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    BLOOD STATISTICS

RBC: 5.4 x 10E12/L (Normal range 3.9-5.5)
    Hb: 111 g/L (Normal range 115-155)

Comments: I need to get my Hb back UP to within the 'normal' parameters. My low Hb means that my body has less oxygen available to use. A decrease in available oxygen can cause hypoxia (inadequate supply of oxygen to the body). Strange that my RBC did NOT INCREASE to try to counter the low Hb levels.

As well as getting a Complete Blood Count done weekly, several other things are tested for, among which are Creatinine and Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR), both values of which were a little disturbing, to put it mildly.

Creatinine: 211 umol/L (Normal Range 50-100)
    eGFR: 27 ml/min/1.73m2 (Normal Range 80-120)

Creatinine is representative of renal function. Increased values of Creatinine are caused by either renal disease (kidney failure) or acromegaly (syndrome where excessive growth hormone is released from the pituitary gland).

GFR is a measure of kidney function; more specifically the volume of filtrate that is formed each minute by the kidneys. A decrease in GFR is due to the constriction of the afferent arterioles (a group of blood vessels that play an important role in the regulation of blood pressure [BP]).

Afferent arterioles become constricted when renal blood flow is reduced. Renal blood flow reduction is caused by hypotension (low BP).

Hypotension can be caused by a number of things, among which are: a) A decrease in cardiac output, of which bradychardia is a cause; and b) Excessive vasodilation, which can be caused by a number of factors, including acidosis - of which hyperventilation and shock can be a cause, and postprandial hypotension (drastic decline in BP after eating). The main indicators of hypotension are lightheadedness and dizziness (with mild depression in some people). Since my BP is ALREADY low (100/50 mm Hg), either a) (although I attribute my very low resting HR and exercising HR to being very fit, others view this as ABnormal) OR b) (increased vascularity of late), and most definitely a combination of BOTH, could possiby lower it even MORE.

From this (and because these values have never been like this before) I speculate that I have had an acute bout of hypotension, and will wait for this week's results, to see whether last week's readings were just a one-off event, before getting TOO concerned...

Just a few other interesting things:

- Iron: 28 umol/L (Normal Range 7-26). Higher than the normal UPPER limits. I have been making sure that my iron absorption is
    maximized, but will need to watch the diet a little. Won't be hard. Just have more tuna and less beef.

- Free T3: 2.95 pmol/L (Normal Range 2.60-6.00). This is a DEcrease from the 3.23 pmol/L of last week. Usually my Free T3 is around
    3.69 - 4.35 pmol/L, with the 3.00 pmol/L the lowest that it has ever been. Hmmm...
    A couple quick comments- hopefully you will be a little worried after you read this :
    1. The increased creatinine is most likely result of taking a creatine product and training hard-dephosphorylated creatine (what is used for energy by your body) is excreted as creatinine. Please tell your doctor that you are taking creatine, as it will skew your blood test results. A hard training athlete (like yourself) will convert intramuscular creatine phosphate to creatinine at an increased rate- hence raising creatinine levels in the blood. I strongly doubt this is any type of kidney function issue- this is actually a fairly common occurence, especially in women who take creatine.

2. EGFR levels are based on creatinine levels- it is a simple equation. So if one is high, the other is going to be low. This is the Cockcroft-Gault equation used for calculating EGFR levels:

EGFR = (140-AGE) x Mass (in kilograms)
    ___________________________ x 0.85 if female
    72 x Plasma Creatinine (in mg/dl)

In essence, the higher the plasma creatinine, the greater the divisor, hence the smaller the EGFR. In your case, b/c your creatinine levels are high from creatine supplementation and hard training, your EGFR will be concurrently low, and your creatinine levels will be high. Plus the value will be even lower since you are female.

3. You are probably not experiencing hypotension from decreased renal function- it is most likely from the icariin, which will lower bp to the low end of normal, for both men and women.

4. The low Hb levels are from being a healthy, active female- studies have documented that low Hb levels are fairly common in very active women.

5. The lowered T3 levels are in response to intense dieting- this is a feedback mechanism to lowered caloric intake- have a day or two in which you have a caloric excess, and it will go back to normal. It seems counterintuitive, but it should help

Hope this sheds some light on a few things.....
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

MS Exercise Science/Sport Nutrition Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina

Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals

**I do not answer pm's- please e-mail me @ dirk@appnut.com with any questions**

Thank you, Dirk. Just a few replies to your comments.

1. I have never had elevated creatinine levels before, and I've been using a creatine product (and training hard - far harder than what I am now) for the last 4 years! I have been using Kre-Alkalyn all that time, though, which does not [readily, if at all] convert to creatinine, so that may be why? I agree with you, though, that it is NOT a kidney function problem (that's why I said 'speculate' with the hypotension and that I WASN'T really all that concerned, LOL), as they seem to be working just fine

4. When I am very active the pattern for my my Hb levels is to INCREASE, not DEcrease. It is when my activity level is low that they come down.

5. As for the lowered T3 levels - I have NOT really started dieting at all yet. You will see from my log that at least 4/7 days every week so far have been in the ~8000 calorie range (which is an OVEREXCESSIVE calorie intake, even for bulking for someone of my size and activity level!).

Originally Posted by rms80 View Post
    A couple quick comments- hopefully you will be a little worried after you read this :
    1. The increased creatinine is most likely result of taking a creatine product and training hard-dephosphorylated creatine (what is used for energy by your body) is excreted as creatinine. Please tell your doctor that you are taking creatine, as it will skew your blood test results. A hard training athlete (like yourself) will convert intramuscular creatine phosphate to creatinine at an increased rate- hence raising creatinine levels in the blood. I strongly doubt this is any type of kidney function issue- this is actually a fairly common occurence, especially in women who take creatine.

2. EGFR levels are based on creatinine levels- it is a simple equation. So if one is high, the other is going to be low. This is the Cockcroft-Gault equation used for calculating EGFR levels:

EGFR = (140-AGE) x Mass (in kilograms)
    ___________________________ x 0.85 if female
    72 x Plasma Creatinine (in mg/dl)

In essence, the higher the plasma creatinine, the greater the divisor, hence the smaller the EGFR. In your case, b/c your creatinine levels are high from creatine supplementation and hard training, your EGFR will be concurrently low, and your creatinine levels will be high. Plus the value will be even lower since you are female.

3. You are probably not experiencing hypotension from decreased renal function- it is most likely from the icariin, which will lower bp to the low end of normal, for both men and women.

4. The low Hb levels are from being a healthy, active female- studies have documented that low Hb levels are fairly common in very active women.

5. The lowered T3 levels are in response to intense dieting- this is a feedback mechanism to lowered caloric intake- have a day or two in which you have a caloric excess, and it will go back to normal. It seems counterintuitive, but it should help

Hope this sheds some light on a few things.....
    Last edited by Guejsn; 02-18-2008 at 10:30 AM.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Did you say 8000 calories?
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

Smile

Originally Posted by History in Effect View Post
    Did you say 8000 calories?
    Yep...And I can do that in a single sitting too!...Take that shocked expression OFF your face...Don't worry, no one ese believes that the little girl can pack that much away either...Until they SEE it, LOL. I don't get that 'full' feeling that you're supposed to get, and can keep eating non-stop for ages, and I'm always hungry, so...shrug...
    Last edited by Guejsn; 02-18-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rms80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you, Dirk. Just a few replies to your comments.

1. I have never had elevated creatinine levels before, and I've been using a creatine product (and training hard - far harder than what I am now) for the last 4 years! I have been using Kre-Alkalyn all that time, though, which does not [readily, if at all] convert to creatinine, so that may be why? I agree with you, though, that it is NOT a kidney function problem (that's why I said 'speculate' with the hypotension, LOL), as they seem to be working just fine

4. When I am very active the pattern for my my Hb levels is to INCREASE, not DEcrease. It is when my activity level is low that they come down.

5. As for the lowered T3 levels - I have NOT really started dieting at all yet. You will see from my log that at least 4/7 days every week so far have been in the ~8000 calorie range (which is an OVEREXCESSIVE calorie intake, even for bulking for someone of my size and activity level!).
    Interesting- what dosage of the Kre-Alakyln were you using?

As far as the hemoglobin- you know your body better than me, - on average- studies indicate that 15-20% of women who exercise actually do encounter lower Hb levels- so I was generalizing off of that- my apologies.

As far as the dieting- you are correct- at that type of caloric load- your thyroid levels should be heightened, at least some- I will look around some more- that is intriguing....

MS Exercise Science/Sport Nutrition Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina

I did find this for what it is worth:

Kre-alkalyn? supplementation has no beneficial effect on creatine-to-creatinine conversion rates.

Tallon MJ1 and Child R2

1University of Northumbria, Sport Sciences, Northumbria University, Northumberland Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 2Department of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Rd, Kingston-upon-Thames, United Kingdom. DrTallon@CR-Technologies.net

All American Pharmaceutical and Natural Foods Corp. (Billings, MT, USA) claim that Kre-alkalyn? (KA) a ?Buffered? creatine, is 100% stable in stomach acid and does not convert to creatinine. In contrast, they also claim that creatine monohydrate (CM) is highly pH labile with more than 90% of the creatine converting to the degradation product creatinine in stomach acids. To date, no independent or university laboratory has evaluated the stability of KA in stomach acids, assessed its possible conversion to creatinine, or made direct comparisons of acid stability with CM.

This study examined whether KA supplementation reduced the rate of creatine conversion to creatinine, relative to commercially available CM (Creapure?). Creatine products were analyzed by an independent commercial laboratory using testing guidelines recommended by the United States Pharmacopeia (USP). Each product was incubated in 900ml of pH 1 HCL at 37? 1oC and samples where drawn at 5, 30 and 120 minutes and immediately analyzed by HPLC (UV) for creatine and creatinine.

In contrast to the claims of All American Pharmaceutical and Natural Foods Corp., the rate of creatinine formation from CM was found to be less than 1% of the initial dose, demonstrating that CM is extremely stable under acidic conditions that replicate those of the stomach. This study also showed that KA supplementation actually resulted in 35% greater conversion of creatine to creatinine than CM. In conclusion the conversion of creatine to creatinine is not a limitation in the delivery of creatine from CM and KA is less stable than CM in the acid conditions of the stomach.

Interesting- what dosage of the Kre-Alakyln were you using?
    I was taking 2-4 capsules a day, and each capsule contains 750mg creatine monohydrate.

Before I started using KA I was using EAS Phos****en and EAS Betagen. The primary reason I switched to KA was that I experienced no side effects such as bloating or nausea, etc., that I did when using the powdered versions.

The information that you found (in your next post) is very interesting. I shall have to do some more reading up about it.
    Last edited by Guejsn; 02-18-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day 16

0430 - 5.5km Run:
    Started out at 4.33 min/km and stayed there. My body wasn't going to go FASTER and I didn't particularly want to be going any slower, so...

0600 - Triceps/Biceps:
    Changed the session a bit, replacing the PC with standing DB Zottoman Curls (DB ZC) and the Inc DB BC with [seated] DB CC. Progress being made in terms of strength, as weight was INcreased in all exercises. I'm finally getting the hang of holding the DB between my feet for the weighted dips, too, LOL. My left wrist, however, began having a burning, throbbing pain after my third set of DB ZC, and it's still like that.

Sleep - Time and Quality: ~2200-0315, ~5.25 hours of sleep. Again, deep and unbroken. When I woke up I felt as if I hadn't had any sleep, though.

Mental Alertness: I'm so ready to begin studying again.

Energy: Despite the pitiful attempt at a run this morning, I feel as if I have heaps of energy. Let's see what I can push myself to in an early afternoon run later.

Motivation: High.

Mood: Smiling. It's going to be bright sunshine today

Pump and Vascularity: Awesome pumps in the gym, in all the RIGHT places this time (triceps and biceps, with minimal forearms). Vascularity high as usual.

Strength: Definitely improving.

Quality of Training: I'm happy with both sessions.

Body Composition and Look: Arms are definitely bigger

Overall Sense of Feeling: Bloody brilliant!
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

As far as the hemoglobin- you know your body better than me, - on average- studies indicate that 15-20% of women who exercise actually do encounter lower Hb levels- so I was generalizing off of that- my apologies.
    No need to apologize My Hb is generally low anyways, because of the alphathalassemia. And exercise (or supplementation with EPO) is pretty much the only way I've been told that I can elevate it.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yep...And I can do that in a single sitting too!...Take that shocked expression OFF your face...Don't worry, no one ese believes that the little girl can pack that much away either...Until they SEE it, LOL. I don't get that 'full' feeling that you're supposed to get, and can keep eating non-stop for ages, and I'm always hungry, so...shrug...
    I am just amazed you can eat that much, but I also realize that you probably have a fast metabolism.
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

Day 16 cont.

1230 - 5.5km Run:
    Ok, I've given up trying to explain how my body works...Soooo, the run...First km was 4 minutes, the second a little slower at 4.12 min. At 10 minutes I felt the pace slow, dropping back to 4.23 min/km for the rest of the run. I am getting faster and not really feeling as if I am going faster. That's a good thing. I don't get why my later runs are faster than my early runs though, since I've already completed TWO training sessions before that. Maybe it's because I've actually EATEN some meals (even though it's done on an 'empty' stomach)? Whatever the case, I'm not complaining with the results. That now makes that run the third fastest ever over that distance, and the fastest so far this year.

Mental Alertness: Two more days of 'freedom'. Let's see how alert you are girl when you're burning the candle at both ends and actually really HAVING to think...

Energy: I seem to have more NOW than I did this morning, despite just having been for another run. Maybe I am UNconsciously pacing myself and not really training as hard as I think I am? It's a thought...

Motivation: Renewed...Yet again...After that run.

Mood: Yeah, bouncing off the walls.

Pump and Vascularity: Oh that, it's just a few veins, LOL

Quality of Training: Better than this morning's run. Maybe I need to do another run 3-4 times a week?

Overall Sense of Feeling: Still the same. Left wrist is no longer sore.

Now for some more article searching for my meta-analysis...Yep, finally found something I'm interested in, that WILL have enough primary sources to collect 'data' from, that I can make a topic out of ...And then into town a bit later to do some 'chores'...
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Originally Posted by History in Effect View Post
    I am just amazed you can eat that much, but I also realize that you probably have a fast metabolism.
    Perhaps. Although until recently, I always thought that my ****totype had more endomorphic component than anything else. Then again, if that were true I'd be as big as a house by now, and not gain muscle or lose fat as easily as I do. So, turns out more mesomorph than anything. I guess I can thank my parents for good genetics
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day 16 cont. II

Mental Alertness: Has been really good all day.

Energy: HIGHEST EVER...Except for a small lull at 1640 for a few minutes when I felt like sitting and staying sitting - but I'd just gone for a walk into town to get rid of that energy, so...

Motivation: It gets higher after days like today.

Mood: When I'm this high I'm ready for [almost] ANYthing...

Pump and Vascularity: Vascularity got better as the day went on; veins are the best they've been in a few days right now.

Overall Sense of Feeling: Got DOMS in triceps and biceps. Man, that must have been a GOOD session this morning! That's the way it should be. Bring on the pain. Abuse that body until it SCREAMS!
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VT dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rosie,
    Glad you are doing so well, when did/does the semester start? Also is there a connection between your libido and your eating?
    Were all in this race together, the human race

Originally Posted by VT dad View Post
    Rosie,
    Glad you are doing so well, when did/does the semester start?
    The semester starts TOMORROW!

Originally Posted by VT dad View Post
    Also is there a connection between your libido and your eating?
    I'm not really too sure why. I've been told that I'm far more 'affectionate' when I'm eating high (particularly 'cheat') CHO. Although it happens at random. Because I noticed that the last time I cut, when I was only having ~50-100g CHO/day, that it went up too. Maybe it happens when my head gets in a good space? Or maybe it's just because I'm no longer consciously suppressing these kind of 'feelings'?
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

End of Week 2 'Body Statistics' CORRECTION...BIG Time!

BODY STATISTICS

Body mass: 50 kg (i.e. 110 pounds)
    Body composition: 9.5% bodyfat (BF)

Comments: More mass gained, with a minimum of it coming from an increase in BF. At 49kg and 9.5% BF I had 44.345 kg LBM and 4.655 kg BF. At 50kg and 10% BF I have 45.35 kg LBM and 4.75 kg BF. That's an increase of 0.905 kg (i.e. 1.991 pounds) of LBM and 0.095 kg (i.e. 0.209 pounds) of BF. So, that's a ratio of 9.5:1 (LBM:BF) this week, which is a huge improvement on the 1.1:1 ratio of last week. I'm pleased with this.
    O-Kay. There's something WRONG with this. It's been bugging me since yesterday. Eating like I have been for the last week I would DEFINITELY have GAINED WAY MORE than that in BF. And as for that ratio; it SCREAMS something wrong (if you think about it)! So, I had my BF retested this morning, to double check. Glad I did. Because no matter how 'happy' I was with those results last week, if they're NOT accurate, then...well...

Anyways, these are what my 'Body Statistics' REALLY are after the first 2 weeks:

Body mass: 50kg (i.e. 110 pounds)
    Body composition: 10% BF

Comments: At 49kg and 9.5% BF I had 44.345 kg LBM and 4.655 kg BF. At 50kg and 10% BF I have 45 kg LBM and 5 kg BF. That's an increase of 0.655 kg (i.e. 1.441 pounds) of LBM and 0.345 kg (i.e. 0.759 pounds) of BF. So, that's a 'gain' ratio of 1.9:1 (LBM:BF), slightly better than the 1.1:1 ratio from Week 1.

So, BF is creeping up. That's got to STOP, even though I'm happy with the LBM gains. Time to start cutting, I think, from next week!

At 50kg and 10% BF I have 45.35 kg LBM and 4.75 kg BF.
    I MUST have been tired when I did this, because there are errors throughout this passage!!!

Sorry for this, guys.
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JHICKS3301 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Still looking solid!!!!
    Owner of the Iron Mulisha
    www.TheIronMulisha.com
    john[@]theironmulisha.com

In for new Business opportunities.. message me or email