beastly115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leg extension bad for legs?

I've read through some posts saying leg extensions are bad but none of them say why. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks.

spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    leg extensions are not bad, they are very benificial when combined with squats and leg presses etc.
    if i was a spartan they would of fuked me off the cliff as a newborn!
    i blame my parents for my ****ty genetics!!!!!!!

Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've heard people before complain of knee problems with them, similar to the way people complain about skullcrushers hurting their elbows.
    Bench press - 175x4 (200)
    Dead lift - 355# (400)
    Squat - 4x225# x three sets (300)
    Military Press - 6x120# (BW)
    BB Row - 6x155# (175)

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I dont think leg extensions will hurt your knees, my knees hurt alot during training and i cant even feel think when i do leg extensions. I do them everyweek haven't had a problem yet
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Hallock View Post
    I've heard people before complain of knee problems with them, similar to the way people complain about skullcrushers hurting their elbows.
    I agree, some do have problems with them many do not.Throw in a couple sets of 12-15 reps and if there's joint pain, or grinding, ditch them.

can has cheezburger? Pound4pound's Avatar
    Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pound4pound will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    After knee surgery the physical therapist told me to never do leg extensions as they're very bad on the knee. He said the only time he would recommend them is if you're training for a comp and really had to isolate the quads.

It's been a year and I'm starting to do them very sparingly, but slow and light. I only do about 100 lbs. but I hold each rep in the extended position for a few seconds. They feel real nice.

J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do them as a warm up for my knees. I wouldn't be able to squat without them. If anything, they are a hell of a lot safer than squats. Then I do heavy working sets with them at the end of my workout. I don't believe for a minute they are one of the more dangerous movements on your knees.

Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When my left knee used to act up... leg extensions used to make it worse.
    Right now my knees are better and leg extensions do not bother me.

IF u have previous knee issues, do not lock your knees during leg extensions... stop a few inches before locking out and then lower the weight.

I wouldnt max on a leg extension machine...

make sure you work out your hamstrings, muscle inbalances can put your knees at risk.

just my 2 cents

heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000)
    they arent bad...but they can put a lot of stress on your ACL/PCL at the top of the rep. When your leg is fully extended, the tibia will slide downward from the femur. As long as you dont fully extend, the bones wont be pulled away from each other. If you limit the ROM to about 85-90%, they are very safe and still effective.
    Last edited by heidt410; 02-02-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Registered User MaynardtheBeast's Avatar
    MaynardtheBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it's a personal preference thing. I tore my ACL 2 times in the same knee playing football in High School, but leg extensions don't bother me too much. You have to listen to your body. If it hurts, then don't do it. I think that's what it really comes down to, listening to your body and how it responds to certain excercises. But if it does bother you that much, just don't do it. There are other excercises you can do in substitute for leg extensions, i.e Deadlifts, Step ups, lunges, etc.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool

Leg ext are useful in certain circumstances.

They can however be quite harmful. They are an open kinetic chain movement( meaning your foot moves through space and is not planted/fixed on the ground/surface). This does cause a lot of torque at the knee joint with no stability below the knee. IMO you should only use them at the end of a Quad dominant day when your quads are fatigued & you have to decrease the intensity(load) OR very light sets for warm up.

Their are a lot of better exercises that give you the same results with less stress on your knee joint.

Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krotos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Lower the Weight

After going through ACL reconstruction my doctor as well told me not to do leg extensions when I questioned him about it I was allowed to do them again well a few months after.

Leg extensions cause an unnatural torque on your knee. the extension of your leg is not designed to lift weights but to simply kick out to run. doing these put stress on the your tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and even your meniscus. They are completely fine to do for warming up or doing as a stand alone exercise, but the problems come when people add too much weight to the machine.

These should be done with a lighter weight which makes you work but doesn't make you grunt, snarl, or any other hard lifting crazy faces or noises we have all heard time and time again.
    ~Krotos

"The only way to define the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
    - Aurther C. Clark

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What Labradarep said. The other thing to consider is that some machines (most of them, from what I know) start the movement in the pre-stretched position. With light(er) weight, that may not be a problem, but with a heavier weight, there's a lot of torque (for lack of a better word) at the very beginning, and over time, it can cause damage for some people. (Anecdotal, I know!). Krotos said the same thing.

Many guys, when the weight gets heavy (that being relative) tend to "heave up" the weight at the outset--that's a lot of pressure on the tendons and cartilage right there. If you're going to do them, use a weight you can control, and either do light weights as a warmup, or go medium-heavy at the end of your workout and control the weight on the way down, and never let your knees travel too far back behind a 90-degree angle at the bottom. Form and control are the two keywords here.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Hackney will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just out of interest, does all of this apply to the seated hamstring curl machine as well?

chasn w8t's like its pu$y Jamps's Avatar
    Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

leg ext are as bad as you make them. As what was already said it's ok to do it for warmup since u won't be using much weight but if u wanna use it to actual develop ur quads then consider the following:

1. Do it with a slow tempo (i.e. not explosive on the concentric, and don't emphasize the eccentric, so it would be 3-0-3, so take 2-3 secs to go up, the same going down, and don't pause at the bottom nor at the top so you can get that constant tension effect since u won't be squeezing at the top).

2. Make it a Unilateral (single leg) exercise. So you're gonna wanna do it one leg at a time....DO IT

3. Don't lock out or get too close to it. That is where the majority of the problem lies.

4. Don't go below 8 reps. I've seen some people trying to damn near max out on these...lol silly kids. I usually try to keep mines around 12-15 and sometimes go a bit higher.

Follow those 4 steps and u'll be able to reap the benefits of leg exts w/out putting urself at too much risk for injury
    PimPin Iron ain't easy, but i do it though...1 plate at a time. So watch how i Get'er done in my workout journal: http://tinyurl.com/

[][][]=\\=(>_<)=//=[][][]
    ................|
    .............../ \

chasn w8t's like its pu$y Jamps's Avatar
    Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jimbob27 View Post
    Just out of interest, does all of this apply to the seated hamstring curl machine as well?
    i've never really noticed anything written about it, yet at the same time i've never sought out info regarding it. But im almost positive that the same would not apply. If u don't want to take my word for it or think there is a slight risk then just simply follow the tips that i provided above since it would also apply.
    PimPin Iron ain't easy, but i do it though...1 plate at a time. So watch how i Get'er done in my workout journal: http://tinyurl.com/

[][][]=\\=(>_<)=//=[][][]
    ................|
    .............../ \

Losing to Crohns! :( Reach_Yeah's Avatar
    Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Ironized View Post
    I agree, some do have problems with them many do not.Throw in a couple sets of 12-15 reps and if there's joint pain, or grinding, ditch them.
    I'm one of the ones who did suffer from knees problems while using leg extensions. I researched it and found that it is quite common. Even some pro bodybuilders won't do them, or if they do they'll just do light weights as a warm up or warm down.

Since taking them out of my routine my knees are way better, and I am someone who puts a lot of focus on my legs. If anything they are slightly more developed than my upper body.

If someone says "Leg extensions are fine" or "leg extensions are bad" they are basically just saying "...for me in my experience." Its down to the individual at the end of the day, but its true, leg extensions can cause problems for some people, and the reason is usually damage to knee joints as you're isolating muscles that aren't used to being isolated.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    NO it does not apply to leg curls

Originally Posted by jimbob27 View Post

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Key is to warm them knees up alot before going heavy.

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you have knee problems I'd say don't lock them out. Other than that, doubtful if there's no pre-existing condition.
    I want to touch the butt.

Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It seems most people are saying "leg extensions arnt bad for your knees" but does anyone have a study or something? I am really curious, I have never done them because of a torn cartilage and didnt want to risk it, its not a natural movement either. Just very curious.

I know leg extensions are good for isolating the tear drop muscle (vastus medialis)
    Ayrton Senna R.I.P > The greatest ever.

*Cigar Crew*
    *Scotch Crew*
    *Piss in the shower crew*
    *Take dumps and mush it down the drain in the shower crew*
    *Squirt spa jets up my anus crew*

"If I was told to gut my children in order to prove my love for God or at least admire the man who did, I'd say no F*CK YOU." - Christopher Hitchens

Lifting with Power allergic2rice's Avatar
    allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I forgot where I read this (as usual)
    but basically leg extensions prevent the natural movement of the patella/knee and damages the joint. so basically ur knees aren't allowed to move naturally as in a squat.
    Forum Representative
    Next Generation Nutrition
    http://www.glyco-energy.com/

***Los Angeles MISC Crew***

www.strengthsociety.com
    Powerlifting, Nutrition, Mobility

MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000)
    this is a good topic to discuss

i usually use them in a pre-exhaust with the leg press/squats:

going to failure on leg press for 8-12 reps and then moving straight away to the leg press/squats

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LL SquatButt J View Post
    leg ext are as bad as you make them. As what was already said it's ok to do it for warmup since u won't be using much weight but if u wanna use it to actual develop ur quads then consider the following:

1. Do it with a slow tempo (i.e. not explosive on the concentric, and don't emphasize the eccentric, so it would be 3-0-3, so take 2-3 secs to go up, the same going down, and don't pause at the bottom nor at the top so you can get that constant tension effect since u won't be squeezing at the top).

2. Make it a Unilateral (single leg) exercise. So you're gonna wanna do it one leg at a time....DO IT

3. Don't lock out or get too close to it. That is where the majority of the problem lies.

4. Don't go below 8 reps. I've seen some people trying to damn near max out on these...lol silly kids. I usually try to keep mines around 12-15 and sometimes go a bit higher.

Follow those 4 steps and u'll be able to reap the benefits of leg exts w/out putting urself at too much risk for injury
    Excellent post. Repped.

kickaaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kickaaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kickaaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kickaaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kickaaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kickaaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kickaaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    well, yes only if you have a serious knee joint problem. you injured your knee before?

i think a machine leg extension is even much softer than a deadlift or squat, coz you're not directly applying weights and increase pressure to your knee joint, in leg extension, your knee joint is only acting as a pivot point + handling little bit of pressure from pivoting.

u get pain from leg extension? it's ok to continue if you're not suffering say from each reps, just make sure your knees are at the same level of the machine pivot and you'll be fine.

My Qualifo Profile www.qualifo/main/detail/85
    A place allow you to train your client 1:1 Live online

http://www.qualifo.com