msgue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Creatine and losing weight

I have a question about creatine and losing weight.

Supplements I'm currently taking:

Meta- Cel Creatine
    lipo-6
    salmon oil softgels
    yerba mate

I'm 5'11' and weigh 230 lbs. My main goal is to lose fat and weight but obviously gain muscle as well. My question is can I lose weight and gain muscle at the same time? Should I be taking creatine when my immediate main goal is to lose weight. Should I not take creatine at this time?

I'd rather be 5'11 and wieigh 180 and be lean and cut, then 5'11' 210 lbs.

Any suggestions.

Thanks, Mike

Tired of being lied to resurrected's Avatar
    resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would concentrate on losing fat first. Then the adding muscle part can come later.
    Some newbies can lose and gain to a certain degree. But I would not really rely on it.
    creatine will volumize the muscles and in recuperation time. It should not interfere with fat loss. I would use it right after a workout and if it has sugar in it, I would not use at any other time. But this is just my opinion.

hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by msgue
    My main goal is to lose fat and weight but obviously gain muscle as well. My question is can I lose weight and gain muscle at the same time?
    What kind of program are you doing to achieve your goal? In the past I've done pretty well with a combination of cardio and weight training while following a careful diet that, initially, cut out a lot of carbs - especially the non-vegetable type. The creatine was useful for the cardio/weight training part, and I don't think it interfered with the weight loss at all. Important thing, though, is just to keep at it - good luck!

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by msgue
    My question is can I lose weight and gain muscle at the same time? Should I be taking creatine when my immediate main goal is to lose weight. Should I not take creatine at this time?

I'd rather be 5'11 and weigh 180 and be lean and cut, then 5'11' 210 lbs.
    You and I have about the same goal 5'11 @180. You can gain mass and loose fat at the same time but it can get to be a depressing proposition if you just monitor your weight. If you go this route, as I have, hide your scale or don't use it all the time because your weight will yo-yo like mad. You are better looking in a mirror and deciding if you are going where you want. I also took a picture when I decided to set my goal of 180, I was about 205+, I posted the pic on the wall where i have to look at it all day. Every couple of months I take another one, same position etc, And low and behold I'm loosing in the picture every time while the scale is till bouncing around from 195 to 197 showing not much loss at all. If I end up at 195 when I'm finished with with a decent bf%, I'll be very happy even if I miss my goal of 180.

I take Creatine it does cause water retention and your weight may go up a few pounds. Once again don't worry about your weight as much as how you feel about the direction you are going with your training.

justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lukamar
    You and I have about the same goal 5'11 @180. You can gain mass and loose fat at the same time but it can get to be a depressing proposition if you just monitor your weight. If you go this route, as I have, hide your scale or don't use it all the time because your weight will yo-yo like mad. You are better looking in a mirror and deciding if you are going where you want. I also took a picture when I decided to set my goal of 180, I was about 205+, I posted the pic on the wall where i have to look at it all day. Every couple of months I take another one, same position etc, And low and behold I'm loosing in the picture every time while the scale is till bouncing around from 195 to 197 showing not much loss at all. If I end up at 195 when I'm finished with with a decent bf%, I'll be very happy even if I miss my goal of 180.

I take Creatine it does cause water retention and your weight may go up a few pounds. Once again don't worry about your weight as much as how you feel about the direction you are going with your training.
    Bump to this one - I've been at this for about 18 months. If I had to rely on my scale, I would have given up a long time ago. While I'm not at the "weight" I had hoped to be at, I have lost quite a bit of fat as reflected in the mirror, how my clothes fit and in my BF caliper tests. What I've done to get to this point is to consistently lift heavy, minimal cardio, watching what I eat (with the occasional cheat). I do use creatine post workout and believe I've had some response to it - it seems like it works for a while for me and then stops, so I end up cycling it on about a 10 week cycle, stop for a month and then start again. Just be patient, and don't give up.
    When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
    When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
    When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
    I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter,
    And I must have my freedom.
    Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

msgue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies.

I try not to pay to much attention to the scale. However, I do weigh myself once a week on Sunday morning. Sunday is when I have my cheat meal/day.

I do cardio 5 days a week, 20-30 minutes. 5 minute warm up, 15 minutes high intesity, 5 min cool down. Lift 3 days/week. Today started my 3rd week back in the gym. Started at 240 lbs, now 230lbs. I just remeber a couple of years ago I dropped the weight faster. I wasn't taking creatine then.

Like I said before I'd rather be about 180 lbs and lean than 210 and bulky.
    Is there a suggested cycle with creatine? If I was to continue taking it until my jar is empty, probably 3 more weeks, how long should I stop for? Would I have to do the loading phase again?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Mike

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This link will provide all the Creatine info you will ever want, possibly more.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gastelu8.htm