Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hilde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Night shift workers??

How does working the night shift affect your training?? Most programs are for "normal" hours.. I usually workout about an hour after getting up so I can have breakfast and get some supplements in beforehand. Anyonelse??

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ive never seen a program that requires a certain time to arrive at the gym. if you wake up at 5:00pm and you like to go to the gym an hour after you get up, then go at 6:00. i dont see the concern?

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it can be tough if your gym isn't 24hours
    I work out at home so I'm pretty lucky when I do night shift stuff it dosn't really affect me unless I wind up sleeping late
    I just keep stuff really abbreviated and plan it out for the week

sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sphinx_57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The biggest thing Ive noticed is that being awake all night can sumtimes affect you psycolgicly with in turn could effect how you life at the gym. Its been a while since I did night shifts but somthing that helped me. Tanning just once every week or two. Good luck.

stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500) stliftn8 is not very helpful. (-500)
    for me its not so much the gym is the probably cus i will usually do the same as u go after about an hour after i wake up its usually the side effects of workin nite shift for me. Like now i have real bad insomnia and cant seem to get any type of sleepin pattern down like i cant fall alseep for more than an hour but might end up takin 3 one hour naps throughout the day. Which is really annoyin and frustrating in terms of helping my body recover from lifting.

JJONES21884 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how do you go about eating your meals if you work over night and working out i work 10 at night to 6 in the morning

Hilde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah... I think I have the hardest time with the sleep and nutrition.. Eating every 2 or 3 hours no matter what has helped me make some gains, but the sleep still varies too much. Thx for the posts, I think I'll try the tanning... Any other tips??

Mind over Muscle Leyton Stone_old's Avatar
    Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I can't train after night shifts as I'm too tired then. I always train before.
    "I not only don't use gloves, I file the skin off my palms before each workout. I also wrap double sided tape about the bar, sprinkle broken glass on it, dip it in acid, then wrap it in razor wire. I also plug the bar into an outlet, and stand in a bucket of water." - Defiant1

jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
    Yeah... I think I have the hardest time with the sleep and nutrition.. Eating every 2 or 3 hours no matter what has helped me make some gains, but the sleep still varies too much. Thx for the posts, I think I'll try the tanning... Any other tips??

I feel your pain. As a new grad in May, I have no choice but to work night shift for at least 6 months to a year. It's going to be awful because I did a rotation last semester working nights twice a week and lost 7lbs. I just have a hard time adjusting to nights. I suppose if I stayed like that 7 days a week I could adjust, but that is hard to do if you have a few days off work because you'll naturally try to switch back to the day routine. I just found it hard to sit down at 3 or 4 AM and munch away on some mixed nuts, tuna, or a protein bar. Sounds funny, but at that time of morning the appeal just isn't there.
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143074093&page=10

"...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

http://www.bullseyefitness.net

Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    dosent affect mine, i workout( lifting) 3 times a week and i do my bjj and mmuay thai training 3 times a week..

you just gotta plan in advance.

i work 12 hour shifts 2 days 2 nights= 5 days off
    ADMA Muay Thai gym.

SQUAT(ATG)- 275 (x15)
    DEADLIFT- 445 (x 6 W/CHALK)
    PRESS- 195 (3x5)
    DIPS- bw+55lbs-----3x8
    PULLUPS- bw+70lbs-3x8- MAX 110lbs added so around 305 total weight.

-STOP BEING A "FRIEND" AND FINISH THE DEAL.
    betheseducer.com {meet women,attract women,seduce women}

Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crankman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The most difficult for me was the diet, you need to be very strict and well organized because eating tuna, or protein shakes around 4h00am when everybody around are on donuts and coffee...(toxic peoples)

for the workout itt about the same...not more or less difficult but you will have to adapt at the beginning...maybe 2 weeks then you get used to it!!

good luck!
    Training log:
    http://northofvag.blogspot.com/

Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE=thailegacy;124357651]i do my bjj and mmuay thai training 3 times a week..

/QUOTE]

hahaha I thought that said you do your bj training 3 times a week.
    I eat to failure.

Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_Me_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hahaha I thought that said you do your bj training 3 times a week.[/QUOTE]

Lol that's funny but yea I worked 65 hours a week at one ponint in time and sometimes I had to workout after my second job (night) or right after my frist (day). Hell though I live in Alaska where it's dark the majortiy of the day so eating and workout cause it's dark or night time never really affected me!
    The only person to blame for your sucesses and failures is you! Time to make a change and stop looking for the scapegoat!!!

~`P`~

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I work graveyards, and go to school 4 days a week. Its harder to keep, mostly because of school, not so much because of my training. Been doing this for almost two years.

Only time it gets hard is mondays and tuesdays, because I start class at 11:00, and get out of work at 6 or 7 am. So often its three hours of sleep, and then off to school.

You want it bad enough, it won't matter. You just get your stuff done.

My only complain is that on mon and tue I don't have enough time to fix myself a tasty creative bodybuilder friendly breakfast. Such as high protein french toast. LOL
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking Nightshift and Body Building

You will never get used to doing night shift you just get beter at adjusting. I have been on night shifts for around 9 years, Monday night to Friday night 20:30 start and 06:00 finish. The weekends are spent in a tired haze and the Monday is spent in bed trying to catch up. I have recently started body building to improve my strength and well being and have found I sleep better and feel better in myself. I get up 15:00 have breakfast, once I have woken I neck half a good shake like USN Muscle Fuel get my **** together and warm up, 5g of creatine and a fruit juice and I start benching. Once I have finished I have the other half of the shake and warm down. Dinner is couple of hours later before I head off to work. I eat a good snack or a protein shake around 22:00 and Lunch is at 02:00 I rarely eat again until breakfast. Bedtime is 07:00. I drink water all day every day. I take a multi vit everyday and use a day-light light in the winter to head off depression, this is less dangerous than the tanning mentioned above. Saturdays I shorten my sleep to around 5 hours, I will catch these hours up on the monday. Which means I can enjoy a bit more of the weekend. Remember when benching you need all the sleep you can get but it should be in a block and hour here and an hour there is no good.

nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I work 7PM-7AM 3 nights a week. If I lift on a work day, it's only the day of the first in a string.

I do Leangains-style IF, so I wake at around 4PM and eat from 4PM-6PM and grab the rest of my cals in protein shakes at work. Then I fast at midnight. It works great with cutting. With gaining, I have to really work to eat enough.

USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I work midnights in a rough district so sleep is important. I train prior to coming in to work and space my meals out every 3 to 4 hours. it just takes time to adjust.

NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000)
    I work 5pm - 5sm

I workout on the way to work, works perfect for me. Usually hit the gym about 3pm.

Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tys1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I work
    12am-10am lifting 13kg boxes stacking 70 of them to make a pallet..

Im acutaly about to go to work now i have not had any sleep whats so ever! Im going to be sleeping tommoro straight away as soon as i come home then training at 6pm tommmoro night
    AUSTRALIAN ELITE TEAM BJJ/MMA

Current supps
    -Natures own fish oil
    -Natures own vitamin C

uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10) uanharrison is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question

Anyone got any good ideas for getting off to sleep? is there any sups which help? I use ZMA currently but seems to have less and less effect. Initially it knocked me out and work well for months but need to try something else for a bit now.
    Uan
    Coventry, England

Reverse Dieting = Fulking bigben4's Avatar
    bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigben4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In on this, starting nights next week for the first time.
    "the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must"

jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jalamb86 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I work 10 pm to 6 am. Get up around 3 pm and go to the gym. You just have to make do with your diet. As far as sleep goes, get yourself a blackout curtain and stock up on benadryl, melatonin, and OTC sleep meds.

oMarineo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work 12 hour swing shifts, so some are days and some are nights. When I am on nightshift, I usually workout right before going to work.

crazywr28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This working nights really sux!! I work 6pm-6am. 4 days on 4 days off. So the days that i work i usually wake up at 1pm, eat a quick meal consisting of oatmeal and protein, after i eat i start to cook the rest of my meals that i will take to work, about 4 chicken breast and white rice, and then pack some protein as well. usually by 2pm im done cooking and cleaning, then ill have my pre workout drink and lucky for me i have a little garage gym that helps out big time due to my schedule. Usually done working out at around 3:45-4:00pm. Ill prep my post workout meal/shake then get ready for work. Best thing that helps me out is cooking all my meals for the day at one time and package it. saves me time. Worst part about the whole night shift is my sleep, im supposed to be getting 8 hours, but im lucky to get 6.

AnthonyFontana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Night Shift

Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
    How does working the night shift affect your training?? Most programs are for "normal" hours.. I usually workout about an hour after getting up so I can have breakfast and get some supplements in beforehand. Anyonelse??
    I work Mid-8...I sleep from around 9ish-5pm Make sure i get my full sleep!...Eat my 5 egg white omelet with my supps hit the gym by 8 and have my protein shake afterwards. I'm Law Enforcement so work is pretty busy most of the time. For dinner I usually eat Tuna/Chicken with some sort of vegetable, and thats pretty much all I eat. Maybe some Almonds here and there. Through out working night shift I see gains in my strength, and size. But unfortunately an increase in bodyfat which I don't understand. I have heard that working Mids and lack of sleep may add to weight gain but I'm not certain of that, and I most definately sleep enough.

RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50) RShackIeford will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I work nights on a rotating schedule which is pretty tough. There will be one night I usually sleep for like 15 hours. My hours are from 10pm-8am. I will usually wake up at 6pm and eat and then head to the gym. After the gym I will eat again or have a shake. Then eat throughout my shift. I get home around 830-9am depending on traffic and eat again and have another shake before I go to bed. I usually sleep from 10am-6pm or try to at least. Last night I had the night off and slept from 10pm-10am. It takes its toll on your body. When I have off I go back to a "normal" schedule just like everyone else so it usually messes me up, but for someone reason not a lot of people want to hangout at 4am when I am wide awake.

j7gz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive been on Mids for about a month now. 2230-1100 hours. My routine is all dicked up. I sleep only 5 hours a day which is enough to give me energy and feel rested but is it hurting my goal to lean fat and build muscle? I am eating about 5-6 meals a day, 2 being protein shakes, Post workout and a Casein before bed. Diet is solid. flank steaks, fish, chicken, brown rice, sweet potatoes, yams, vegetables. Im seeing results but i just want to maximize my efforts. Anyone have any suggestions that I can experiment with?
    12-1700 sleep
    1700-1830 gym
    1800-2130 free time
    2130-2230 commute
    2230-1100 work

j7gz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @RshackieFord
    Our schedules are very similar. Are you seeing results despite your schedule?

STelevation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Been experimenting. Ever since my son was born and I moved into nights it has been reallllll hard. I pretty much lost most of my gains. Been trying to get back into shape, but my sleep is so messed up at the moment that all I can do are quick workouts prior to my shift from 7pm to 7am. Been trying to go to the gym before I have to go in, but if I work consecutive nights, it's hard to wake me up until I really have to go in lol.

For the night shift workers, what do you guys eat? I mean other than the usual protein every 2-3 hours, do you guys eat any complex carbs during the night? Also, do you guys eat when you come home from work?

TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrvBickle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I work steady nights 20:00 x 08:00. Eating small meals and at the same times (ie. 15:30, 18:00, 22:00, 03:00 hrs) works best for me. If I'm not running around with the kids driving them here there and everywhere, then I hit the gym before work. Workouts on my days off are best and I make sure I really work hard on those workouts, because I know the reality is that some of my workouts during my shifts will suck.
    To help sleep one beer before bed or a glass of wiskey (1 once) mixed with warm water.