Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Are you new here?

Welcome to the Over 35 Forum!

If you're new to Bodybuilding.com, you'll find that this particular section tends to be just a little quieter, a little more sensible and a little more respectful than some of the other forums. We joke and fool around like everyone else, but we draw the line at calling people hurtful names or insulting their intelligence.

Some of the members here have been bodybuilding for years and others are just starting out. Some folks here compete, some are trying to get back into shape after years on the sofa and many simply bodybuild as an end-of-the-workday stress release. But the members here all have one thing in common: an interest in working out with weights.

No one likes feeling like an outsider trying to work into a group, but you'll find that all of the regulars here are very aware that it wasn't long ago that they too wrote their first post here. To help you out, here are some common questions and the answers that we usually offer:

1. "I don't want to get HUGE"

Regularly exercising with weights will not turn you into Mr. Olympia or Ms. Olympia. Those professional bodybuilders dedicate their lives to their sport and it took them years and years to get there. It isn't going to happen just because you lift weights three or four times a week.

2. "I just want to look like that guy/girl in the magazine"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you're over 35, it's probably not going to happen. Those magazine models are usually discovered after years of competing in fitness or bodybuilding and they prepare for a photo shoot just like they prepare for a competition. Plus, those magazine photos are airbrushed, digitally edited and shot in the best possible lighting. I've yet to meet any competitor who has a six-pack of abs in their off-season, so it's unrealistic to set that as your goal.

Having said that, bodybuilding is about setting a personal goal for yourself. That goal might be to compete, to model or just to not be embarrassed to see yourself naked in front of in the mirror, but no matter what your goal is; make it a realistic one and tackle it in small steps. You'll get there with hard work and self-discipline.

3. "I don't want to make dramatic changes to my eating habits"

You cannot have it both ways. Living a healthier life means just that: living it. If you think of losing weight or bodybuilding as a short-term goal rather than a lifestyle change, then you'll only find yourself giving up in frustration. You don't have to go all-out and eat nothing but health food, but you also have to accept that it was a combination of a poor diet and inactivity that put the fat on. If you want to lose that fat then you have to change both.

4. "Why can't I lose this belly?"

There are many answers to this quesion but the one that seems to work the best is "Have more patience". Think about how many years you let that fat accumulate...if it's been growing for ten years then it isn't going to all melt away in three weeks or even three months. Most frustration comes from setting unrealistic goals for ourselves. Your body will shed fat and look better if you treat it right - I promise.

5. "How often should I work out?"

This really depends on what your goals are, but a good rule of thumb is that it's better to do too little than to do too much. Most folks here train anywhere from three to five days a week and usually not more than an hour or so per day.

6. "I posted in the Misc forum and now there's a big red bar under my name!"

The Misc forum is dominated by teenage boys with chips on their shoulders. It's can be an entertaining place to visit but if you were looking for an intelligent discussion, that's not the place to find it. There's a Frequently Asked Question thread on the whole issue of "reps" and how to manage them.

~~~~~

We're all here to learn from one another and if you have a question, then chances are that there are at least three or four people wondering the same thing but who are too shy to ask.

Welcome aboard!

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I sense a sticky with this one.

Thanks!
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you for posting this! Great advice!

STICKY!!
    When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
    When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
    When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
    I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter,
    And I must have my freedom.
    Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Outstanding. To the point.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Enormous Green Rage Mnstr GSCampbell's Avatar
    GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Man, I love this place! Great post.
    There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi...I am new here.

Am I even welcome in a section as like this. I mean, I am over 35

Chris, Nice post man !

dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dot1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like the sticky! Great post.

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Also for our new friends....sometimes you might post a question and feel ignored. Please don't. It's just possible that the same question has been asked repeatedly and we old dudes do have advanced Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
    Always take a peak at Search above in the blue bar.

Welcome.

Working on Hoosier 2.0 HoosierHardGain's Avatar
    HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well said Kimsquit! I echo everything you said. This section is awesome.
    Burning Fat Cells One Rep At A Time

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it." - Nelson Mandela.

Hittin' it and gettin' it Braindrop's Avatar
    Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good sticky! Welcome aboard, all newbies seeing this.
    Braindrop
    ---------------------------
    Jun 2016 230#
    Apr 2010 224#
    Oct 2007: 272#
    ---------------------------

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=660421

buffwannab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Hello

Hey I'm 48 and trying so hard to get fit. Do situps every night, but it is hard. Does testrorne work? I take wwhey protein and work out or try 4 times a week. Sometimes kids programs and their sports come first. Do you have any information i can use to help me out? I work out my arms specially, and use the programs they offer here in bodybuiding.com so i do use the sight. Please help.

marka1620 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking 1st thread here

Greeting all,

This is my first post on these forums. I'm 36 years old (5'8" @ 170lbs) and just joined the local gym with the wife about 7 months ago. Just started getting back into it again (5 days week) about 1-1/2 months ago. Just recovered from a pinched nerve in my neck and was very eager to get back in there.
    I look forward to reading everyone's posts, as much information can be obtained.

Thanks

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    [QUOTE=buffwannab Does testrorne work? Do you have any information i can use to help me out? [/QUOTE]

Testosterone replacement works but you have to have blood tests to see where your levels are and to determine what is the best way for you to go if they are low. There are other problems like Thyroid that has similar symptoms.

If you have questions just post them to the main part of this forum.

Location: Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    glyndwr1405 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kimsquit
    Welcome to the Over 35 Forum!

If you're new to Bodybuilding.com, you'll find that this particular section tends to be just a little quieter, a little more sensible and a little more respectful than some of the other forums. We joke and fool around like everyone else, but we draw the line at calling people hurtful names or insulting their intelligence.

Some of the members here have been bodybuilding for years and others are just starting out. Some folks here compete, some are trying to get back into shape after years on the sofa and many simply bodybuild as an end-of-the-workday stress release. But the members here all have one thing in common: an interest in working out with weights.

No one likes feeling like an outsider trying to work into a group, but you'll find that all of the regulars here are very aware that it wasn't long ago that they too wrote their first post here. To help you out, here are some common questions and the answers that we usually offer:

1. "I don't want to get HUGE"

Regularly exercising with weights will not turn you into Mr. Olympia or Ms. Olympia. Those professional bodybuilders dedicate their lives to their sport and it took them years and years to get there. It isn't going to happen just because you lift weights three or four times a week.

2. "I just want to look like that guy/girl in the magazine"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you're over 35, it's probably not going to happen. Those magazine models are usually discovered after years of competing in fitness or bodybuilding and they prepare for a photo shoot just like they prepare for a competition. Plus, those magazine photos are airbrushed, digitally edited and shot in the best possible lighting. I've yet to meet any competitor who has a six-pack of abs in their off-season, so it's unrealistic to set that as your goal.

Having said that, bodybuilding is about setting a personal goal for yourself. That goal might be to compete, to model or just to not be embarrassed to see yourself naked in front of in the mirror, but no matter what your goal is; make it a realistic one and tackle it in small steps. You'll get there with hard work and self-discipline.

3. "I don't want to make dramatic changes to my eating habits"

You cannot have it both ways. Living a healthier life means just that: living it. If you think of losing weight or bodybuilding as a short-term goal rather than a lifestyle change, then you'll only find yourself giving up in frustration. You don't have to go all-out and eat nothing but health food, but you also have to accept that it was a combination of a poor diet and inactivity that put the fat on. If you want to lose that fat then you have to change both.

4. "Why can't I lose this belly?"

There are many answers to this quesion but the one that seems to work the best is "Have more patience". Think about how many years you let that fat accumulate...if it's been growing for ten years then it isn't going to all melt away in three weeks or even three months. Most frustration comes from setting unrealistic goals for ourselves. Your body will shed fat and look better if you treat it right - I promise.

5. "How often should I work out?"

This really depends on what your goals are, but a good rule of thumb is that it's better to do too little than to do too much. Most folks here train anywhere from three to five days a week and usually not more than an hour or so per day.

6. "I posted in the Misc forum and now there's a big red bar under my name!"

The Misc forum is dominated by teenage boys with chips on their shoulders. It's can be an entertaining place to visit but if you were looking for an intelligent discussion, that's not the place to find it. There's a Frequently Asked Question thread on the whole issue of "reps" and how to manage them.

~~~~~

We're all here to learn from one another and if you have a question, then chances are that there are at least three or four people wondering the same thing but who are too shy to ask.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for being so lucid and sincere. I've been commited to getting fitter, gaining muscle, losing my gut etc for years, but only just got round to realising it. I've been working out for 5-6 weeks now and can't believe the improvement in my health, posture and finance [not drinking, even socially anymore!]. BTW I'm 35 and never felt younger.
    I have an animal in me;
    A beast, raging to escape.
    Yet I am blue-skinnned and
    toe-tagged,
    Ready for the slab....

I had an animal in me;
    A beast, which raged and escaped.
    I am glowing and excellent,
    Ready for eternity.
    (Bengarrion Phoenix)

5' 11'' 13st [182lbs]
    w32

yomamali has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Hi everybody... I'm a newbie to this -- +35 -- forum. I belong to a few non-related boards and quite honestly, I have been quite disappointed with the foul language and harsh words exchanged here. Hopefully this particular forum will prove me otherwise.

About me, I am 5'6" 180lbs (+/- a few) I have been a couch potato most of my life. I joined a gym back in my mid-twenties just for the fun of it and for some reason... it clicked. I have been working out regularly since then. I am now 36 but for the past few years I have let my routine stagnant. I will also concede I am a junk-food junkie... I have never learned how to cook and quite honestly, I am afraid of being in the kitchen. This may sound funny but that's the truth. Currently, I am focusing on improvement my cardio... I would like to bring my running distance up to a half-marathon (I have a blog lol... http://yomamali.com/exercise/runningblog/blogger.html... suggestions re: blog and its contents are more than welcome ).

Looking forward to learning from the best! I'll try to post more and not lurk so much... this forum seems promising
    How many more sets you got??

hereinla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Where's GameDayDawg?

I'm not sure where to post this question. But his posts were always classic. Anyone know what he's up to these days--and why no posts for a while?
    Thanks.

Enormous Green Rage Mnstr GSCampbell's Avatar
    GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by hereinla
    I'm not sure where to post this question. But his posts were always classic. Anyone know what he's up to these days--and why no posts for a while?
    Thanks.
    He doesn't post here anymore.

I liked GDD and enjoyed his posts as well but I would say that he got a little full of himself and maybe a bit too big for his proverbial britches.

Just my opinion.
    There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hereinla
    Thanks.
    With all the user names you have...You should know where to post.
    Psalm 121

Forever cutting..... Blake Austin's Avatar
    Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ooops! I'm only 34. Is it ok if I stay over here though??

Originally Posted by Blake Austin
    Ooops! I'm only 34. Is it ok if I stay over here though??
    Yes!
    Psalm 121

Coming Back has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Coming Back

Hi,
    I have been reading the forum for awhile and just joined. My screen name says it all---use to be a dedicated lifter in pretty good shape for 8 or nine years. Like my doctor says, gained some "happy pounds" in second marriage. Now time to recommit and get serious. Glad to be here.

WarrenSinden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi there
    I'm a 39y/o caucasian male from South Africa,Johannesburg.
    I'm 1.7m(5'7") 80kg(176lbs)[in South Africa we work in meters & kilograms].
    5yrs ago I met my life time partner.
    (I was still working on the mines,as a miner underground).
    My breakfast used to consist of two beers for breakfast,go to work,
    when we got up from underground we had a liter of brandy(+/- 2 pints).
    Then off to the what we called gym"pub" and our exercises constisted
    of lifting our glasses from the bar counter to our mouth.
    Then my wife gave me a choice either her or the boose.
    (if I had two good meals a day it was a lot)
    I knew I had to change my profession otherwise I wouldn't stop.
    So I started in the security industry.In 5 yrs I went from 50kg to 60 kg in body weight.
    working a 12hour shift in a controll room can get quite boring at times
    so about four months ago I started taking some weights to work to keep my self occupied.
    but I stayed about the same weight.
    Them two months ago I decided to do some research on weight lifting.
    I started on joe weider's weight gain & creatine and started eating three meals a day.
    I weighed myself today & was 80kg.
    This month I've bought a bench press and am going to try and get a full hour's training done at home.I'm takin whey protein,glutamine & usn mega anabolic stack.
    But it is a bit difficult working a 12 hour shift,
    plus 2 hours travelling and still comming home and cooking food.

Faith is often the boast of a man who is too lazy to investigate.

daver_14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile hello

hello, i'm new to the forum. i'm 38 5'8" 200# lift 5 days a week. run 2 miles a day as well on tread mill. enjoy lifting very much. i have been married for 17 years, and have three lovely children, we are a very active family. kids enjoy rollerblading and playing soccer, only one playing organized right now. i look forward to posting here. i also help coach soccer as well.........

wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wanna_be_BB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wow-Intimidating

A bit of a knock-out punch, but OK, I have to deal with that...

I'm 36 yo and started lifting as a kid until family told me bb'ing was too freaky and not natural. College and family prevented me from taking it back up and now I have the time and resources to do so..and to basically be told that if I'm over 35 that it ain't gunna happen?

I lifted intensly over the last 2 years and saw no progress. I have been told now that my mistake was doing the same thing over and over - basically plateauing because my body was use to the routine. I now have a trainer helping me with my progress. In December 2005, I was 218 with 20% bodyfat (3 skin fold test). Now, I'm 209 with 19% bodyfat (3 skin fold test). Doing the math, I lost 6 pounds muscle and was actually leaner at 218 with 20% bf. This is with heavy split routines (legs, back/bis, chest/tris, 2x week). My chest and abs are not responding..but quads, calves, delts, and back are responding very well. Is this just more of a sign that when over 35, we have to be satisfied with status quo?

My goal is to compete by the time I'm 40. My wife and trainer tell me it will happen..but I'm suspecting it's all just talk.

Any advice on getting my routine in high-gear?

pcarco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wanna_be_BB
    A bit of a knock-out punch, but OK, I have to deal with that...

I'm 36 yo and started lifting as a kid until family told me bb'ing was too freaky and not natural. College and family prevented me from taking it back up and now I have the time and resources to do so..and to basically be told that if I'm over 35 that it ain't gunna happen?

I lifted intensly over the last 2 years and saw no progress. I have been told now that my mistake was doing the same thing over and over - basically plateauing because my body was use to the routine. I now have a trainer helping me with my progress. In December 2005, I was 218 with 20% bodyfat (3 skin fold test). Now, I'm 209 with 19% bodyfat (3 skin fold test). Doing the math, I lost 6 pounds muscle and was actually leaner at 218 with 20% bf. This is with heavy split routines (legs, back/bis, chest/tris, 2x week). My chest and abs are not responding..but quads, calves, delts, and back are responding very well. Is this just more of a sign that when over 35, we have to be satisfied with status quo?

My goal is to compete by the time I'm 40. My wife and trainer tell me it will happen..but I'm suspecting it's all just talk.

Any advice on getting my routine in high-gear?

What does your diet look like? I am back at it again since this past January after not doing anything but golf for the last 10-12 years. I am making some significant improvements in muscle gain and fat loss and I know it’s due to the diet... I never paid much attention the first time around but I googled "bodybuilder cutting diets” before I started and basically developed a diet and its working. I don't have a trainer but since you have one and understands your goal I would hope that he/she has you eating 6 times a day and you should be going thru eggs, chicken and oatmeal like you read about... I am working out everyday and before I do the day starts with the oatmeal and coffee. I do treadmill everyday at the gym and sometimes again at night and I hit one body part a day but pretty much annihilate that body part. Some will say I may be overtraining but I am not... As far as the lagging body parts... you must mix it up which is what I do... I may do 16+ sets for chest each time but its not all the same exercises (more cables than dbs etc...) I increase the weight I lift with every set even if 4-5 reps are all I can manage... I am 41 and I am getting stronger, making muscle gain and losing fat... go figure I thought I was dead after 30... Oh one last thing and you will hear this over and over on these boards.. REST.. I am getting a lot more of it now and I think it helps.. Instead of staying up late watching tv and playing online poker - go to bed.. works for me.. In any case best of luck and I hope you hit your goal.

bigsteve0506 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigsteve0506 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Hi! I'm a newbie. Great site!

TOUCHOFGRAY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Awesome site!!
    Hello all from the newbie here. I just retired from the U.S. Military after 20 years in the Air Force living on Okinawa Japan (The Rock). I am married to a local Japanese beauty, no kids yet but planning.

I had always been able to work out regularly in the past staying in pretty good shape until my last four years in the Military, my schedule became too hectic and it kept me in an out of the gym.

But now I am able to do it full time again, I just started a 3 day split Mon, Wed, Friday utilizing compound exercises each day to accomplish a full body workout three times a week.

Just trying to get back on track with one of my passions lifting weights, I sure do enjoy being able to do it full time again.

Cheers

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

tabbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tabbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tabbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tabbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am new and over 35 - great site!!!
    Yours in Fitness,