jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How long to speed up metabolism?

Ive been lifting for a month tomorrow and ive been making pretty good progress so far but im eating approx 2600 a day now and my weight loss is much slower than my prior two weeks which means to me that 2400 is my magic number for about one pound of fat per week. I have been dieting for many many years and my question is aimed at those people like me that were on crazy eating schedules for protracted amounts of time. Ive read on some BMI calculators that i should be having well over 3000 calories a day to cut and I just dont see how this could work, since my loss slows at 2600. How long does it take to get your metabolism sped back up after starving yourself for a long time?

kylef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jeff232
    Ive been lifting for a month tomorrow and ive been making pretty good progress so far but im eating approx 2600 a day now and my weight loss is much slower than my prior two weeks which means to me that 2400 is my magic number for about one pound of fat per week. I have been dieting for many many years and my question is aimed at those people like me that were on crazy eating schedules for protracted amounts of time. Ive read on some BMI calculators that i should be having well over 3000 calories a day to cut and I just dont see how this could work, since my loss slows at 2600. How long does it take to get your metabolism sped back up after starving yourself for a long time?
    Your first two weeks may have been water weight with some fat loss. I don't like the idea of dieting, make it a lifestyle, learn to enjoy your bland boring food - take pleasure in punishing yourself, then enjoy rewarding foods in moderation on special occasions. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the BMI calculator, just do what works for you. Starving yourself is never good, eat but eat smaller more frequent healthful meals be aggressive and consistent in your workouts and you will see your metabolism speed up in no time. You didn't mention if you are doing cardio or not, personally I love cardio especially for fat loss.

Not what I use to be..... StrongEnough?'s Avatar
    StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jeff232
    Because you're not giving your body what it needs. You're taking in the same amount of calories I was taking in 2 weeks ago (I just dropped mine down 200) and I'm 100lbs less than you, and I bet you're taller than 5'7. What's wrong with that picture? I'll tell you. Your body sees that your not giving it what it needs, and will go into starvation mode (where you're at now). At your weight (guessing because I don't have height) you could cut at 3000 calories a day without problem. What do you have to lose?

Slowly up your calories to 3000 over the next several days (from 2600). Keep your lifting intense, and your cardio to 4-5 days a week, 30-45 minutes, no more than 1 hour tops. Try this for the next 2 weeks, and see what happens.

This is also provding that your diet is clean. 2600 calories only tells me your caloric value for the day. Show me your meals like this...

Meal 1
    Meal 2
    Meal 3

I also want you to include times as well. What is your height?
    Last edited by StrongEnough?; 02-10-2006 at 02:02 PM.

jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeff232 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well i hit the scale and did my bf% measurements and it seems that i actually lost weight and bodyfat this week. Ill try to put more calories in this coming week strong and see what happens. Im 5'10.5"

my meals follow this pretty much every day:

Meal 1: oatmeal, whey shake, bananna. Sometimes i have eggs.

Meal 2: 1/2 can of tuna and a piece of whole wheat bread.

Meal 3: turkey sandwich, big glass of low sodium v8, yogurt or cottage cheese and sometimes an apple.

Meal 4: 1/2 can of tuna and a piece of whole wheat bread.

Meal 5: it varies but its got all the food groups and usually pretty tasty(also my largest meal).

After i workout i have another whey shake with a bananna in it and a can of sardines.

Before bed: i might have some peanut butter or cottage cheese