John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation About to begin Bill Starr's 5x5 program, Some help please!

Hey all,

I'm about to begin this program soon, and i've got a bunch of questions in my head.. i tried searching for the ansewrs on the huge 5x5 topic but couldn't really get all my answers - answered. So i hope some of the members here can help a newbie on the 5x5 program .

Some stats of mine:
    I'm 16. Not the age that my profile displays, i just randomly clicked some year, lol. My max lifts are:
    Bench: 72kg
    Squat: 90kg
    Deadlift: 70kg

So my 5(RM) would be:

Bench: 67kg
    Squat: 80kg
    Deadlift: 60kg
    ----------------------------------
    Now the Bill Starr's 5x5 program, that madcow2 posted on his website ( thanks alot madcow )
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm
    I'm a bit confused with some stuff so hopefully someone can ansewr em..

The program is:

MONDAY:
    Squat: 5x5
    Bench: 5x5
    Barbell Row: 5x5 ( I have no idea what is barbell row? could someone direct me to a link to this exercise ? )
    Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups

So what i do here for example in squats is:
    60kgx5 65kgx5 70kgx5 75kgx5 80kgx5 ?
    And when i am done with the bench and barbell row(?) i do 2 sets of hyperextentions and 4 sets of weighted sit ups?

WEDNESDAY:
    Squat: 4x5
    Incline or Military: 4x5
    Deadlifts: 4x5
    Assitance: 3 sets of sit ups

Now when it says Incline.. does this mean the workout for the biceps? Incline dumbbell press? that i would do em for 4x5.. example: 6kgx5 8kgx5 10kgx5 12kgx5 ? and as for the Military.. does this mean the workout for the shoulders -> Military press?

now it says for squats:
    First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set again.. (I dont quite get what this means so could someone explain? )

and under it says Ramping Weights to top set of 5? does this mean i do my 5RM on all 5 sets?

FRIDAY:
    Squat: 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    Bench: 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    Barbell Row: 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    Assistance: 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)

So for example on the squat.. id do 4x5 ( ex. 65kgx5 70kgx5 75kgx5 80kgx5 ) and then i do 1x3 of my highest weight? then 1x8 of my highest weight again?
    I dont quite get this.. under it also says:

"First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8"
    -If somebody could explain what this means too?

Finally: It says for friday: 3 sets of weighted dips.. would it be okay if id replace this with Bench dips? as for 3 sets of barbell curls would it matter if i replaced that to preacher curls? and finally the 3 sets of triceps extensions.. would it be okay to replace that to any other tricep workout? and r these assistance training suppose to be done after doing the main exercises?

And few more questions once again lol..

-On wednesday when u can do Military Press.. Is it okay to swith that to Seated Dumbbell Press for the shoulders? if not.. could i add that exercise somewhere or it is recommended not to?

-I've read that workouts should last 45-60mins.. is it okay to go over this limit when doing this program since i should take around 2-5min breaks? or by the time i do everything most likely ill be done before hitting 1 hour?

Well that's all.. I must say.. whoever plans on ansewring all my question im gonna thank u forever lol.. even if u didnt ansewr all my questions then big props to YOU lol.. this might be the most complicated thread ever :/.. reps to the person who ansewrs tho =).

-John

DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow, that's a long post

OK, in no real order:

-bent over row: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html
    [Not a terribly good picture, but you should get the idea. If I can find a better video I'll post it later]
    -incline or military: incline bench or you can perform a military press instead
    -ramping weight: your sets use progressively heavier weight

1x3, 1x8 - you go as heavy as you can for the number of reps you need. So you will be going much heavier on the 1x3 than on the 1x8

In terms of exercise selection, you're kinda supposed to stick with the ones recommended. And the time thing is really only a guide.

Hope that gets you started. Stick with the beginners version of this for as long as you are getting good results - don't get too caught up in the more complicated ones just yet.
    "Something witty and humorous"

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe if you download the excel file he has on his site it might make more sense to you.
    *No Crew*

John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) John182 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    BUMP

Originally Posted by Mozelstein
    Maybe if you download the excel file he has on his site it might make more sense to you.
    I dont have microsoft excel on my computer :/... Thanks alot for some info Davethedog.. Hopefully someone can take the time so ansewr my question ?

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Judging by your questions you are not ready to do a 5x5.
    Just do this instead:
    http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/sh...26&postcount=2

DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by John182
    BUMP

I dont have microsoft excel on my computer :/... Thanks alot for some info Davethedog.. Hopefully someone can take the time so ansewr my question ?
    If you don't have excel, go to the microsoft website and get excel viewer. It lets you read excel files, though you can't make new ones with it.
    "Something witty and humorous"

Registered User curlforthegirls's Avatar
    curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) curlforthegirls has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    you have to download excel off the internet. then download spreadsheet, type in your maxes and it calculates the whole program for you