Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Should I train with heavier weights and lower reps?

Say 3-5 reps per set if I want to get bigger? I'm a noob and currently lifting up to 10 reps per set before failure.

kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    it all depends man everyone responds differentlyu switch your reps up some people respond better to 4-6 reps i like 6-10 range works good for me but the lower reps work for me as well. just try new things and hit the gym and make sure your taking in enough calories to get big gota eat big to be big and you gotta lift big to be big stay with the compound movements for mass focus on them gl buddy
    TRAIN HARD OR DIE!!!!

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As a newbie, anything will make you grow.

But, lower repetitions are usually employed for strength gains.

Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    do 4-6 reps thats where you gain strength fast

doing 10 gives you endurance but your 1 rep max strength will suffer from higher rep training imo

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    5 reps always worked for me. Tried 10 reps before, gave me a nice pump and made my muscles feel tight, but thats it.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Your King

greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does strength gain = muscle mass gain?

kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ya man def if your strength increases your mass is going too. your loading weight
    TRAIN HARD OR DIE!!!!

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post
    Not necessarily.

To answer the OPs question, try it and see if it works for you. There is no set formula. I believe it was Dominik that recently recommended mixing it up in the same workout. Do some movements for higher (8-12) reps and some movements for lower (3-6) reps. Try this and see if it works for you.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

If I have to cheat on rep #3, does it mean the weight is too heavy?

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if your a noob to lifting you should stick with higher reps to get your form down
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I have to cheat on rep #3, does it mean the weight is too heavy?
    yes You should get 5 solid reps before the need to cheat unless your going for a over repped max.

Your King

Registered User AhkTed Kenajhad's Avatar
    AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AhkTed Kenajhad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Say 3-5 reps per set if I want to get bigger? I'm a noob and currently lifting up to 10 reps per set before failure.
    just use the time tested 6-10 reps and when u get to 10 up the weight in which case you should be able to get at least 6 reps of the higher weight. if you can't, drop the weight concentrate on perfect form and when you have flawless form at ten reps you should be able to squeeze out 6 when you raise it.
    owe reps to noodlelegs

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    big arms and ATK make a good point. Focus on your form. This cannot be overstated.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Big Arm Big Pay View Post
    if your a noob to lifting you should stick with higher reps to get your form down
    high reps makes form worse cause you're tired.

volume at 3-5 reps with a weight that you DON'T fail at 3-5 reps is good for technique.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    pretty much

i doubt you will see a guy who benches 300 walking around with toothpick arms....

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post

volume at 3-5 reps with a weight that you DON'T fail at 3-5 reps is good for technique.
    Problem is unless you're doing a ton of sets it's going to be **** for hypertrophy. Not exactly a recipe for success for a noob looking to get bigger.

Most of my training in the first couple of years was sets of 8-10 and I put on over 60lbs and never had a single injury. Doing more reps was good practice too. Even these days I rarely go under 6 reps, except for the deadlift and squat which I train more like a powerlifter. With everything else it's sets of 6-12.

Nothing wrong with having short phases of heavy training working up to a 3-5RM but if you're looking to get bigger it's a struggle to get through a decent amount of volume training that way not to mention it's hell on the joints. Working in the 6-12 range most of the time is more productive and less taxing on the nervous system.

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    Problem is unless you're doing a ton of sets it's going to be **** for hypertrophy. Not exactly a recipe for success for a noob looking to get bigger.

Most of my training in the first couple of years was sets of 8-10 and I put on over 60lbs and never had a single injury. Doing more reps was good practice too. Even these days I rarely go under 6 reps, except for the deadlift and squat which I train more like a powerlifter. With everything else it's sets of 6-12.

Nothing wrong with having short phases of heavy training working up to a 3-5RM but if you're looking to get bigger it's a struggle to get through a decent amount of volume training that way not to mention it's hell on the joints. Working in the 6-12 range most of the time is more productive and less taxing on the nervous system.
    I went from 160 to 205 in 8 months no injury. 5reps ftw!

Your King

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ITHURTZ View Post
    I went from 160 to 205 in 8 months no injury. 5reps ftw!
    If it's working for you keep doing it. Here's the best way I could explain my experience with low and high reps:
    For optimal results I think you need both.

Why kill yourself lifting really heavy weights for low reps all the time trying to get through a decent amount of volume when you could incorporate both and get a lot more done. Focus on strength with low reps on some exercises and hypertrophy with higher reps on the rest. Best of both worlds.

I've tried doing the low rep thing all the time and while I did see some gains in size I was happy with, it beat the crap out of my joints and I started to burn out. My conditioning also went to ****. And when I tried high rep training for a while my strength stalled and it seemed like all I was doing was getting a pump. So these days I incorporate both. The strength gains I make at lower reps allow me to use more weight for higher rep sets later. They work together.

I agree you need both. Iv always wanted to add high reps into my workout, but I dont have time or the food bill to support that.

Your King

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I just said for technique work volume at lower reps is better than high reps.

working sets are whatever, I use 1-10 myself.

- Stizzel

I just said for technique work volume at lower reps is better than high reps.

working sets are whatever, I use 1-10 myself.
    Sure, and technique is more of an issue with Olympic lifts. However the OP said: "Say 3-5 reps per set if I want to get bigger?" If he wants to get bigger, low reps aren't going to achieve much with puny strength levels + low volume. Fair enough if you're up around the 400/500/600 level you might only need a set or two of low reps to build muscle but a noob doesn't have that luxury yet.

Ever noticed how in the first few months of training you primarily see strength gains in a natural lifter and not much size? The last thing they need is to focus even more on training the nervous system when that's practically all they've done up to that point. They need volume to compensate for the lack of weight they're moving. That's where the sets of 6-12 can make a difference.

Sure, and technique is more of an issue with Olympic lifts. However the OP said: "Say 3-5 reps per set if I want to get bigger?" If he wants to get bigger, low reps aren't going to achieve much with puny strength levels + low volume. Fair enough if you're up around the 400/500/600 level you might only need a set or two of low reps to build muscle but a noob doesn't have that luxury yet.

Ever noticed how in the first few months of training you primarily see strength gains in a natural lifter and not much size? The last thing they need is to focus even more on training the nervous system when that's practically all they've done up to that point. They need volume to compensate for the lack of weight they're moving. That's where the sets of 6-12 can make a difference.
    I agree, all I'm saying is while they're learning the form of the lifts they'll doing 5+ sets of 3-5 reps with lighter weight is better.

- Stizzel

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No.

It CAN, but it does not NECESSARILY mean muscle gain.

Anyone who says otherwise needs to simply read more, because they are wrong.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaredmt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i read somewhere that there is a difference between training for strength and training for muscle mass. there are different techniques to use that are primarily focused on making your muscle bigger.

look up the "pump" technique for doing bicep curls. once i started doing that i noticed the difference

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

? if you dont go high at 3-5 reps you might as well not lift
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    No.

This thread needs to die now.....NOW
    "Until later, may the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush." - David Puddy (banned but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    No.

Strength will always become before mass, but over time strength does= mass.

Your King

burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Big Arm Big Pay View Post
    ? if you dont go high at 3-5 reps you might as well not lift
    Failure is not a prerequisite of high intensity.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No it doesn't.

The only component of strength that increases mass is myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Neural efficiency, technique etc DO NOT increase mass.

If what you are saying was true, it would be impossible to increase ones strength and remain in the same weight class of wrestling (my sport), o-lifting, powerlifting, boxing etc.

And that is not the case.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5937541