Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fiber Source (Corn Bran, crude)

We all know how important fiber is to any diet. But many foods that contain fiber also bring with it carbs and if you are on Atkins, Keto or any low-carb diet every gram of carbs counts.

I was also very courious and wanted to see if there were any foods that were almost all fiber. Thats when I came across Corn Bran:

1 cup of Corn Bran (crude) contains:

170 Calories
    6 Cals. from Fat
    5mg Sodium
    33mg Potassium
    65g Carbohydrates
    65g Diatery Fiber
    6g Protein

So the question here is:

If you only count NET CARBS (carbs-fiber=net carbs) and Corn Bran has 65g of each doesnt this mean you are in fact consuming 65g of fiber and 0 Net Carbs?

And so cant someone on Keto or Atkins use Corn Bran as a pure source of fiber without worrying about carbs?

For all you Keto dieters: where do you get your fiber from?

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your info looks way off... I'm not sure if it's trustworthy or not.

6g protein x 4.32 calories = about 26 calories

+ 6 calories from fat = 32 calories

That has listed 170 calories.

Fiber has no calories as it's indigestible, and even if they did mistakenly add calories from fiber(I've seen companies do this on labels accidentally), 65x 4.32 would be 280 plus the original 32, lol.

That makes me wonder about the source.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    But(to help answer your q?), if a source of food has every gram of carbs from fiber(or even most of them), then it is generally an acceptable food for keto.

kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kik0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Black_Spit
    Your info looks way off... I'm not sure if it's trustworthy or not.

6g protein x 4.32 calories = about 26 calories

+ 6 calories from fat = 32 calories

That has listed 170 calories.

Fiber has no calories as it's indigestible, and even if they did mistakenly add calories from fiber(I've seen companies do this on labels accidentally), 65x 4.32 would be 280 plus the original 32, lol.

That makes me wonder about the source.
    check it out yourself...

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21Tk.html

...what do you think?

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd rather eat veg myself!

Originally Posted by chimponarope
    What vegetables do you eat that are low in carbs?

The problem with me is that if I want to have 25g of fiber a day in my diet (which is recommended) I will also ingest a lots of carbs.

siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000)
    Haha, way to avoid the question!

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kik0
    What vegetables do you eat that are low in carbs?

The problem with me is that if I want to have 25g of fiber a day in my diet (which is recommended) I will also ingest a lots of carbs.
    Broccoli, celery (its even negative cal by the time you've tried to digest it!), lettuce, spinach. All of them by the time you subtract fibre from the carbs are low carb. If you still need more add a few psyllium husk caps a day.

Broccoli, celery (its even negative cal by the time you've tried to digest it!), lettuce, spinach. All of them by the time you subtract fibre from the carbs are low carb. If you still need more add a few psyllium husk caps a day.
    I eat all that good stuff, however...to make 25g of fiber you have to eat a ton of it and the carbs will add up. Hence my post above...what do you all know about Corn Bran and is this a viable source of LOW carbs and HIGH fiber.

siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000)
    Where do you even find this stuff anyways? Is this at any normal grocery place?

Originally Posted by siamesedream
    Where do you even find this stuff anyways? Is this at any normal grocery place?
    Thats the other thing...I asked my wife and she has cooked with Corn Bran before so yes I'm sure we can get it at a local grocery store. If not then the Grannary

Ok here is what I found about this niffty product.

Corn Bran is a food grade, chemical-free, natural product that is light in color, presents a bland flavor, and is a low fat, low cost alternative to other grain bran products. Excellent source of dietary fiber. Used to increase dietary fiber in mixes, breads, cereals, snack foods, dietary foods and geriatric foods. For those individuals on a low carbohydrate diet, corn bran is a wonderful means to make low carb chips and muffins that have a great corn taste, making it quite popular.

A 5 LB bag is only $5.16 not expensive at all.

So the only thing here is that this is something you add to foods or you have to make something out of it. Cant just buy it and eat. I will see if I can either find some products that are almost 100% Corn Bran or some simple recipes.
    Attached Images

What about flax meal?

What about flax meal?
    Looks pretty good.
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20p1.html

May get me some of that however pound for pound corn bran has more fiber.

I wanna see if anyone here knows of some foods made of pure corn bran (if its possible) or foods that contain hight % of corn bran. I will do some more research and see if I can find simple recipes or foods with this interesting ingredient.

Corn Bran : the outer coating of the corn kernel, with little or none of the starchy part of the germ.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As I understand it, the calories from fibre are counted in a food, in that if you put them into a calorimitor (sp?) and burn them, they will yield heat. However, they don't count as carbs in our sense, as the body can't extract the carbs from the fibre. Kind of like putting twigs on a fire and getting heat, but you won't get any significant food value from it. Put sugar on the fire, and you'll also get heat, but this is something the body can use.

There are quite a few things like bran or fiberous veg that have as much or more fibre than useable carbs. Veg just happens to be a lot nicer to eat, and has lots of micro-nutrients.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Fiber
    Dietary fiber is made up of undigestable complex carbohydrates. The body does not absorb fiber, so it has no calories. Dietary fiber helps in digestion and elimination.

^^
    http://www.fitwatch.com/glossary/nutrition.html

Originally Posted by Eileen
    As I understand it, the calories from fibre are counted in a food, in that if you put them into a calorimitor (sp?) and burn them, they will yield heat. However, they don't count as carbs in our sense, as the body can't extract the carbs from the fibre. Kind of like putting twigs on a fire and getting heat, but you won't get any significant food value from it. Put sugar on the fire, and you'll also get heat, but this is something the body can use.

There are quite a few things like bran or fiberous veg that have as much or more fibre than useable carbs. Veg just happens to be a lot nicer to eat, and has lots of micro-nutrients.
    ok...however you didnt quite give us your opinion on Corn Bran. Is this a viable source of high fiber for someone on Keto?

What do you have that can give you 25g of fiber/day without adding more then 30g/day of carbs?

Orion35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orion35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes Corn Bran is a viable source of fiber.

The most nutrient dense vegetables only provide about 1g fiber/cup. According to Fitday, broccoli is shown to have varying amounts of fiber. From 0g to 5g/cup, which was confusing to me. Apparently all of the fiber is in the stalk, and none is in the flowerets. I have to assume that the nutrients (particularly chlorophyll) are in significantly greater concentration in the flowerets, with much less in the stalk.

This has led me to the conclusion that vegetables are NOT a viable source of fiber. But they are vital to a healthy diet, for their nutrients- but should not be considered a fiber source !

Grains however ARE a viable source of fiber.

Problem is how to eat grains on Keto, because of our carb restriction. Corn Bran and Psyllium Husks are both very good for Keto dieters.

I use a proprietary blend of Psyllium Husks, Fennel Seed and Flax Seed. That provides both soluble and insoluble fiber. In addition I take a probiotic supplement which seems to help a lot, but only when I get sufficient fiber that day.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a lot of problems with Fitday and how it measures fibre. Its measurements simply don't tie in with any vegetable I buy that has a nutrition label on it. By my reckoning, things like broccoli, kale, spinach, celery, fennel, white mushrooms etc have more fibre than carbs.

Anyway, an easy way to get fibre from stalky bits is to keep the stalks and stems, and boil them up as soup.

Corn bran does seem to have as much fibre as carbs, but how do you plan to eat it? Most people add a couple of spoonfuls of bran to breakfast cornflakes, or when they are baking bread.

Originally Posted by Eileen
    I have a lot of problems with Fitday and how it measures fibre. Its measurements simply don't tie in with any vegetable I buy that has a nutrition label on it. By my reckoning, things like broccoli, kale, spinach, celery, fennel, white mushrooms etc have more fibre than carbs.

Anyway, an easy way to get fibre from stalky bits is to keep the stalks and stems, and boil them up as soup.

Corn bran does seem to have as much fibre as carbs, but how do you plan to eat it? Most people add a couple of spoonfuls of bran to breakfast cornflakes, or when they are baking bread.
    So Corn Bran is good...but thats the question...how do we eat it? I though you maybe new of a way to make something out of pure Corn Bran. Its so dense in Fiber that just a 1/4 cup will give you almost (16g) the daily recommended fiber.
    I wonder if one can eat it raw...you know...powder form. You could mix it with water or whey.
    I went to the supermarket yesterday and didnt find it there so they must sell it at Grannary's or Natural Food Stores. But what I did find at the supermarket (although not as fiber dense as Corn Bran) was Kellogg's ALL-BRAN Extra-Fiber Cerial.

1/2 cup

Calories 50
    Sodium 120g
    Potassium 270g
    Carbs 20g
    Fiber 13g
    Protein 3g

So 7g of NET CARBS...not bad for the fiber you get.

Have a cup a day and you got 26g of fiber!!...I recomend you take it in two servings so you dont take in 14g of carbs at once. Take 1/2 cup in the morning and another 1/2 cup mid-afternoon.

I will still find out if one can take Corn Bran with water (raw).
    Last edited by kik0; 02-06-2006 at 02:24 PM.

SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100)
    THis CORN BRAN IS ASWOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! you ca make low fat, almost zero net carb breads with it that taste delicius and you can put all the beloved keto food on it such as burgeres , meat, chease, butter, cream cheese and etc on it.....it´s really low cal so even many slices wouldn´t add to much cals to diet while making all other keto food taste better because cheese with bread is just delicius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FLAMENGO FOOTBALL and REGATAS club assistant dietitian ( new job )...this is the biggest soccer club in brazil!!! over 30 millions of supporters!!!
    http://www.flamengo.com.br/

Nutrition bachelor by federal university of Rio de Janeiro UFRJ

If it's GOD in heaven
    then it's
    SUPREME DAN on Earth

Originally Posted by SupremeDan
    THis CORN BRAN IS ASWOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! you ca make low fat, almost zero net carb breads with it that taste delicius and you can put all the beloved keto food on it such as burgeres , meat, chease, butter, cream cheese and etc on it.....it´s really low cal so even many slices wouldn´t add to much cals to diet while making all other keto food taste better because cheese with bread is just delicius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dont know about making bread with it...you would have to mix it with flower and thats carbs. It would be nice if you could make something only with Corn Bran.

SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100) SupremeDan is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by kik0
    Dont know about making bread with it...you would have to mix it with flower and thats carbs. It would be nice if you could make something only with Corn Bran.
    you can....no need to mix with carbs
    FLAMENGO FOOTBALL and REGATAS club assistant dietitian ( new job )...this is the biggest soccer club in brazil!!! over 30 millions of supporters!!!

If it's GOD in heaven
    then it's
    SUPREME DAN on Earth

Post the recipe

you can....no need to mix with carbs
    yes...we need the recipe...

the same as any regular bread nut instead of flower you put the corn bran.........

If it's GOD in heaven
    then it's
    SUPREME DAN on Earth

the same as any regular bread nut instead of flower you put the corn bran.........
    hmmm...I dont know about that, have you ever done it?

I'll have to research that...anyone else have any clue?

What sort of bread? I've made brown soda bread with buttermilk and wholewheat flower, which might just work, though I doubt it, and yeast bread with white flour which definitely wouldn't work.

Can't see it working, about the best you might manage is a rivita type cracker I would think.

Can't see it working, about the best you might manage is a rivita type cracker I would think.
    How about what I said before...mix it with water and drink it. I mean, its not that much....whould it give one stomach aches? Indigestion?

1/4 cup is all and you get 16g of pure fiber. you can even split that in two servings for 1/8 of a cup. 2x1/8 is 16g and almost the 20g recommended fiber a day.
    Last edited by kik0; 02-07-2006 at 02:59 PM.