Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    "Greatest Gig in the Sky" young and strong's Avatar
    young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)

Young and Strong's Starting Strength

Hi everybody,
    I will be keeping a journal over the next three months, doing a routine by Mark Rippletoe which was given to me by 9cyclops9. My main goals for this is strength and if lucky size. But also want to show beginners the right way to train and inspired people to keep working out.(This was originally going to be beginner 5x5 but after talking to 9cyclops9 he convinced me this would better suit me)

Short Bio:
    I'm 16 years old living in Geelong, Australia. 6'3 204 pounds and 18% BF.
    By no means am i a raw beginner i have been working out for 7 months (Training was sh** for the first 4 months). Once i start reading articles from bodybuilding.com and training right i gain 19 pounds.

Measurements:
    Chest-106cms (42.5 Inches)
    Shoulders-118cms (47.2 inches)
    Waist-90cms (35.5 inches)
    Bicep Ex-38cms(15.2 inches)
    Quad-59cms (23.6 inches)
    Calf-40cms (16 inches)
    Thankyou
    Y&S

young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Workout B 1/2/06
    (Note:four warm up sets for each)
    Weight in pounds

Squat-3x5x203.5 (92.5Kg) Felt alright
    Standing Military Press-3x5x55 (25Kgs) Started Light
    Barbell Rows-3x5x110 (50Kgs)
    Assited Pullups-3x5x55 (25kgs)Felt heavy after BB rows

Good workout overall
    never done standing military press before so decided to start light. Barbell rows and pullups aren't part of the original workout but decided to add them when advise by 9Cyclops9.

Workout A and Iso 3/1/06

(Four warm up sets for each)

Squat-3x5x209 (95Kgs)PR!!!!

Bench press-3x2x145 (65kgs)too heavy and too many reps on warm up set
    3x5,4,4x133 (60Kgs) F**k
    Deadlifts1x5x160 (72.5Kgs) Still getting used to these
    Ass Dips 3x5x32 (15kgs) Alright
    Preacher Curls 3x8x88 (40kgs)
    Dicline Situps 2x9xBW
    Slow Hyperextensions 2x10xBW

Started off great, getting a PR on the Squat going to parawell.
    Bench was crap, the rest i breezed through and the workout took me a tad over one hour
    Till next time,
    Y&S

Strength goals

My strength goals are as followed:
    Deadlift:220 pounds (100 kgs)

Squat: 260 pounds (120kgs)

Bench: 175 pounds (80kgs) Most Important. Not happy with my Bench considering how low it is. Must because of my long arms.

Military Press: 110 pounds (50kgs)

Everything other exercise is as high as i can get them. Goals are a bit high i know, but whether i hit them or not i'll be happy.
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Diet

I'll be eating anything that is in my reach. While i'll try and keep a well balanced diet with plenty of protien it will not be strict or anything because i know i wouldn't be able to keep it up.
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Cardio

I will be playing a basketball game and bball training on Mon

Thanks for your time,
    Y&S

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm having my girlfriend try this exact routine too. It's pretty damn good overall and she's building up strength relatively quickly (for a girl).

Bench press-3x2x145 (65kgs)too heavy and too many reps on warm up set
    3x5,4,4x133 (60Kgs) F**k
    The only thing I didn't like in all those threads that detailed this workout is the warmup Rippetoe includes. I tried stuff like that before and for me it was too many reps. This is how I do it now:

6 > 4 > 2:
    Planned Work Sets - 4 sets of 6 reps @ 225lbs
    Warm up set 1: 50% 6RM = 110lbs x 6 reps
    Warm up set 2: 70% 6RM = 160lbs x 4 reps
    Warm up set 3: 90% 6RM = 205lbs x 2 reps

This is taken from the following article:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi51.htm

I used to do

12@50%
    10@50%
    6@60%
    3@75%
    1@85%

This would actually leave me slightly drained before my work sets. The above method is just the right balance of being warmed up but not at all fatigued. I hit all of my 5RMs before starting the 5x5 this way.

Thanks for the reply liquidtension. I hope i can gain strength as good as your girl lol. So what your saying is to do three warm up sets instead of four. I think i give it a try next workout.
    Last edited by young and strong; 02-04-2006 at 11:25 PM.

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Thumbs up Workout B 5/2/06

Four warm up sets on each

ATG Squats-3x5x110 (50kg) Light weight still a bit of a challenge

Miltary Press-3x5x61.5 (28kg)PR, nothing too exciting

Barbell Rows-3x5x115.5 (52.5kg)PR!! forgot warm up sets :/

Assisted Pullups-3x5x55(25kg) Felt really good

Quick workout today.
    There's been much talk of ATG squats on the boards and i thought i give them a go. They felt great and i'll think i'll aim for five pounds each workout with good form from now on. Forgot warm up sets on barbell rows but still got a PR somehow.
    Thanks for reading
    Y&S

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey there Y&S,
    Congrats on starting your very own 5x5 (and journal).
    Hope it all goes well for you. I'm into wk5 now so I'm looking forward to seeing your results when you're done too.

Keep it going and keep setting those PRs.
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362
    youTube vids: http://youtube.com/profile?user=FitnessNut
    my iPhone apps: http://www.yianni-software.com/

G'day Short One,
    I've been hoping you'd stop by, thanks for the encouragement it is much appreciated . (As is any comments or replies on this journal)
    I'm doing a different routine to you though it is called starting strength and was given to me by 9cyclops9 and probarly suits me more at this stage and i'll do 5x5 later.
    Good luck in your program, i'll be stopping by your journal as well.
    Later
    Y&S

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Cardio-Basketball Training
    Duration-1 hour

Quite easy, was quite surprised because i was really tired from work and gym on the weekend. Few warmup jogs and sprints and a scrimage match

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Smile Workout A

Best Workout of my life,
    i wish all workouts were like this
    Duration-65mins

Three Warmup sets each

ATG Squats-3x5x115.5 (52.5kg) PR!!!! Felt Real Strong, could've gone more

Bench Press-3x5x133 (60kg)PR! at 3 sets, Comfortaly got there

Deadlifts-1x5x165 (75kg)PR!!!! Cramp in lower back afterwards

D Situps-2x10xBW

Hypers-2x8x10 (5kgs)

Sidebends 1x6x15.5 (7.5kg) While waiting for bench press

I don't know whether it was the 3 warm up sets or just the program in general, but i felt great today.
    ATG Squats are officially my favorite exercise and my bench was strong.
    The only negative i could think of, was waiting for the bench press while this guy did 12 sets. Still i can't complain.
    Later,
    Y&S

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Exclamation Workout B and Iso

Three Warmup Sets each

ATG Squats-3x5x121 (55kgs) PR!!!! Felt corfortable

Standing Military Press-3x5x68.2 (31kgs)PR!!!! Still light

Barbell Rows-3x5x105 (47.5kgs) Crack down on form

Assisted Pullups-3x5,3,4x44 (20kgs)PR!!!!

Assisted dips-1x8x15 1x4xBW PR!!! 1x5x30 (15kgs)

Preacher Curls 3x5,4,3x100 (45kgs) PR!!!!!

Had a look at the today and it says i've gain four pounds in the last week and a half . I was working out with a mate today and he was doing bodyweight dips so i thought what the hell and went and did 4 reps. The powerlifting coach will be ther next workout and will teach me powercleans.
    I love starting strength.
    regards,
    Y&S
    PS- i just ate KFC and feel sick

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Thumbs down Old Routine

this is the routine i did when i first started and didn't know anything about bodybuilding

Chest Press-4sets of 10-12
    Leg extentions-4sets of 10-12
    latpulldown- " "
    leg press-" "
    Pec Deck-" "
    Machine Shoulder Press-" "
    Calf Raises-" "
    Cable Pushdowns-" "
    Cable Curls-" "
    Dumbell Row-" "
    Barbell Curl-" "
    Kickbacks-" "

Duration-1hr 45mins

Weight Gained in four months-9 pounds

I did gain some strength from this routine probarly because i've got ok genetics. But i ended up overtraining and getting weaker. My biggest problem was i used to many machines.
    Thanks for reading,
    Y&S

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Geez..
    I thought I was bad.
    Mine didn't take 1:45 though.. But I was doing way too much.
    Looks like you're already making progress in the last week. Keep it going Y&S
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362

Originally Posted by Short One
    Geez..
    I thought I was bad.
    Mine didn't take 1:45 though.. But I was doing way too much.
    Looks like you're already making progress in the last week. Keep it going Y&S
    Yeah i think everyone made mistakes when they first started, the important thing is were doing the right routines now .
    Thanks for the encouragement

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Originally Posted by young and strong
    Yeah i think everyone made mistakes when they first started, the important thing is were doing the right routines now .
    Thanks for the encouragement
    How right you are. Btw.. Do you have any pics on the way?
    Before/afters?

Thumbs up

How right you are. Btw.. Do you have any pics on the way?
    Before/afters?
    I spose i have some somewhere, i never really thought about it.
    Most journals have pics.I guess i will have to have some as well

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Picture

This was taken on new years day when i was 198 pounds (don't look it because i'm tall and thick.) I started Rippletoes program on the 2nd of Febuary when i was 201 pounds. I currently weigh 205 after a week and a half.
    Till next time,
    Y&S
    Attached Images

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Workout A

Another great workout

ATG Squats-3x5x126.5 (57.5kgs)PR!!! Still fairly light

Bench Press-3x5x138 1 rep assisted by spotter each set (62.5kgs)PR!!!!

Deadlifts-1x5x165 (75kgs) Felt like 15kgs
    1x5x176 (80kgs) PR!!!!! Still waaaay to easy

Decline Situps-2x8x5 (2.5kgs) PR!!!!!

Hypers-2x9x10 (5kgs)

Really enjoying ATG squats and feel i have real good form. Surprised myself on the bench by getting 4.5 reps before being helped by a spotter.
    But the biggest surprise for the day was the deadlifts because my form had falted in the last workout with 165 pounds. Moved it up 10 pounds but still felt like i could do at least 10 pounds more. Decided not to though for fear of overtraining my back.

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

This was taken on new years day when i was 198 pounds (don't look it because i'm tall and thick.) I started Rippletoes program on the 2nd of Febuary when i was 201 pounds. I currently weigh 205 after a week and a half.
    Till next time,
    Y&S
    Thanks for the pic Y&S. You've got solid base to start off with. You'll look unreal by the end of it.
    I noticed we've got the same bloody door knobs (and doors) as you here *laughing*
    btw. I've decided to start playing basketball again for some extra cardio. Starting either this Wed or next. Hopefully won't get as serious as I used to be about it. At 5'5", I could touch the ring at my peak (a 3' leap for me) .

Thanks for the pic Y&S. You've got solid base to start off with. You'll look unreal by the end of it.
    I noticed we've got the same bloody door knobs (and doors) as you here *laughing*
    btw. I've decided to start playing basketball again for some extra cardio. Starting either this Wed or next. Hopefully won't get as serious as I used to be about it. At 5'5", I could touch the ring at my peak (a 3' leap for me) .
    No problem. i have always been kinda a big even before i started weight lifting. but i think i'll have to lose some BF% before i look unreal.
    Those door knobs are shocking aren't they. i think four of ours fell off the doors last year lol.
    OMG you could touch the at 5'5. Thats awsome.
    I'm 6'3 and i can't touch it
    Keep up the good work man, well get there.
    Keep lifting
    Y&S

How's your Nephew going with Starting Strength?

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i hope you don't go for the cats... roos n eagles are where its at!

good work keep it up.
    Height: 5'10 (178cm)
    Weight: 176lbs (80kg)
    Body Fat: 10%

·My Pics (December 2005) -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=675693

- Level 1 Australian Strength and Conditioning accredited coach
    - Certificate 3 in Fitness
    - Certificate 4 in Fitness
    - AIF Master Trainer qualification
    - Zest Personal Trainer

Talking

Originally Posted by BURNINATER
    i hope you don't go for the cats... roos n eagles are where its at!

good work keep it up.
    Good Guess.
    Cats rule mate and we are going to dominate.
    I can understand the eagles you living in Perth and all, but why do you go for the roos?
    Anyway thanks for the comment much appreciated

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50) BURNINATER will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good Guess.
    Cats rule mate and we are going to dominate.
    I can understand the eagles you living in Perth and all, but why do you go for the roos?
    Anyway thanks for the comment much appreciated
    nps. i've supported the roos for over 10 years, my favourite player was wayne carey, then that faded away with his friends at the roos... Glen Archer is number 1 in my opinion - toughest man in the AFL.
    Height: 5'10 (178cm)
    Weight: 176lbs (80kg)
    Body Fat: 10%

·My Pics (December 2005) -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=675693

- Level 1 Australian Strength and Conditioning accredited coach
    - Certificate 3 in Fitness
    - Certificate 4 in Fitness
    - AIF Master Trainer qualification
    - Zest Personal Trainer

Originally Posted by BURNINATER
    nps. i've supported the roos for over 10 years, my favourite player was wayne carey, then that faded away with his friends at the roos... Glen Archer is number 1 in my opinion - toughest man in the AFL.
    I agree Glenn Archer is tough, but i've never really liked Wayne Carey. Even before he betrayed his mate at the roo's.

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Parallex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man,

keep up the good work, looks like we about the same strength wise.. all your lifts are pretty similar to mine... ill watch this journal and give ya props as i can

Height:5'10"
    Weight: 150 pounds / 69Kg
    Supps: ON Gold Standard, Micronised Creatine

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=673165
    --------Watch it go up, slowly but surely------------

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Parallex
    Hey man,

keep up the good work, looks like we about the same strength wise.. all your lifts are pretty similar to mine... ill watch this journal and give ya props as i can

Thanks man i might stop in and have a look at your journal too

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

Workout B

ATG Squats- 3x5x133 (60kgs) PR!!! Becoming a little hard

Military Press- 3x5x74 (33.5kgs) PR!!! Still easy

Powercleans (New Exercise)- 3x5x92 (42kgs) Practicing form

Ass Pullups- 3x5x44 (20kgs) Failured last rep

I got a cramp in my calf which sucked because it made me nervous before i attempted to squat.
    I studied short ones demostration of the powerclean last night and decided to give it a go today. the power lifting coach who works at my gym will be around sooner or later and he'll show me anyway.

I've finally found a chemist that sells creatine and will be taking it over the next two months. Does anybody think this is a GOOD/BAD idea?
    Hopefully this will give me the edge,
    thanks
    Y&S

R.I.P Frvrmuscle