fryeguy_09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

the assisted pull up machine thing..

Ok, before I ask my question let me begin by apologizing for my noobieness. For most of my life I've been an avid runner, but as of recently (due to a nasty little leg injury) I've started getting into lifting. I've only been going the gym for about 4 months, so I'm terribly stupid when it comes to anything relating to bodybuilding.

Getting to the point..

On my gym's assisted pull up machine, there are two sets of bars. One set points to the side, the other set points to my front. Well, I've been using the set that points to the front to do pull ups.. and I'm starting to think that I've been doing them incorrectly? In case you don't understand what I mean, check out this picture:

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/images/pullup4.jpg

So assuming I am doing them wrong, what are those bars for?

-Rob

b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fryeguy_09
    Ok, before I ask my question let me begin by apologizing for my noobieness. For most of my life I've been an avid runner, but as of recently (due to a nasty little leg injury) I've started getting into lifting. I've only been going the gym for about 4 months, so I'm terribly stupid when it comes to anything relating to bodybuilding.

Getting to the point..

On my gym's assisted pull up machine, there are two sets of bars. One set points to the side, the other set points to my front. Well, I've been using the set that points to the front to do pull ups.. and I'm starting to think that I've been doing them incorrectly? In case you don't understand what I mean, check out this picture:

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/images/pullup4.jpg

So assuming I am doing them wrong, what are those bars for?

-Rob
    palms facing(hammer chins)palms forward pullups.do both styles and eventually add weight.good luck.
    SMASH IT UP!
    LONG LIVE JOEY RAMONE.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    stop doing assissted pullups - do freeweight pullsups/chins/hammer chins

if you can't do them unassissted, then do rack chins - the added leverage will let you do a few - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=%40reference
    <->

fryeguy_09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hammer Chins, eh? I haven't noticed anyone using this particular machine the way I had been.. so I just assumed I was doing it wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up.

AJ, I'm trying to wean myself off the assisted machine. I'm using around 10-20 lbs of offset weight right now.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fryeguy_09
    Hammer Chins, eh? I haven't noticed anyone using this particular machine the way I had been.. so I just assumed I was doing it wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up.

AJ, I'm trying to wean myself off the assisted machine. I'm using around 10-20 lbs of offset weight right now.
    I would just jump right into pullups on a regular bar then...