VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just for fun..best routine for gaining muscle AND losing fat.

See my problem is this...

My main goal is adding strength, cold-hard-muscle.

But i want to get my body fat % down..lose my belly.

Yes i know this needs heavy cardio / running and eating right.

But ive been told too much cardio hurts strength gains.

So.......who has the routine for both?

thanks.

davewins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davewins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davewins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Glutamine is important. I would pick some up and take it right after your hard cardio routine. I am running 2 miles every other day now and lifting 3 days a week. I'm sure I'm not gaining the muscle that I could be if I wasn't doing cardio but I'm definetley losing fat at the same time. I don't think there's a perfect way that you can gain 100% muscle and lose 100% fat. You have to sacrifice a little bit of muscle but it's worth it. It's not like you aren't going to build muscle at all.

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by davewins
    Glutamine is important. I would pick some up and take it right after your hard cardio routine. I am running 2 miles every other day now and lifting 3 days a week. I'm sure I'm not gaining the muscle that I could be if I wasn't doing cardio but I'm definetley losing fat at the same time. I don't think there's a perfect way that you can gain 100% muscle and lose 100% fat. You have to sacrifice a little bit of muscle but it's worth it. It's not like you aren't going to build muscle at all.

???? ^^^ Glutamine is not what pops in my mind first when someone asks about loosing fat and keeping muscle.

Anyway,

I'd say the biggest thing is, when doing cardio, make sure you aren't training like an endurance athelete. You don't have to do it on an empty stomach, and I would suggest taking some protien immediatley after.

As long as your total caloric intake for that day is less than you burn, you are loosing. Just try to make sure you eat and workout to stay as anabolic, as opposed to catabolic, as possible. The more muscle mass you have, the eaiser the fat is to burn.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

davewins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davewins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davewins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    he is afriad to lose muscle. If you are afraid of losing muscle then glutamine is the supplement you should be taking. It is anti-catabolic so after a hard cardio workout where your glutamine stores are depleted you should take glutamine. This prevents muscle loss. Bottom line is he is concerned about muscle loss and glutamine is the supplement that comes to mind when worried about muscle loss. Of course other things are important as well. It seems like everybodys a tough guy on here. It's like you're wrong I'm right so shut up attitude that everybody has. I am interested in everybodys opinion, no need to be a tough guy about it.

Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The latest I've read, glutamine hasn't been proven to do anything in strength/hypertrophy training athletes. My understanding was that most, if not all, studies with glutamine were with burn victims. There are some related posts here in the forums, I just don't feel like finding it.

Bottom line, a supplement isn't going to make a noticeable difference if his training and nutrition isn't correct. He will likely be pissing him money down the drain by simply adding a supplement and not addressing the nutrition aspect first. By staying anabolic (positive nitrogen balance) as Arch Duke said, he can prevent muscle loss. I'm not sure what, if any, role glutamine plays in nitrogen balance. I assumed this was protein intake/timing.

Here is an interesting read regarding cardio and timing:

Part 1
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461325

Part 2
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461524
    Last edited by Big Will C; 01-30-2006 at 12:20 PM.

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by davewins
    he is afriad to lose muscle. If you are afraid of losing muscle then glutamine is the supplement you should be taking. It is anti-catabolic so after a hard cardio workout where your glutamine stores are depleted you should take glutamine. This prevents muscle loss. Bottom line is he is concerned about muscle loss and glutamine is the supplement that comes to mind when worried about muscle loss. Of course other things are important as well. It seems like everybodys a tough guy on here. It's like you're wrong I'm right so shut up attitude that everybody has. I am interested in everybodys opinion, no need to be a tough guy about it.
    Hey man, I'm not trying to knock you or anyone else on this board. I definatley have no interest in being a 'tough guy' on an internet forum, lol.

Don't be so sensitive, if you get mad everytime someone disagree's with you on this forum then you are gonna be one pissed of SOB.

The only time I will call anybody out to any degree is if the advice they give out is not good advice for another lifter should they follow it.

The impression your post give is if you are loosing weight, all you should have to do is take a little glutamine and no worries. That could really give an unexperienced lifter a bad impression, and I felt like it wasn't good advice.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

If you actually thought that I meant just take glutamine and your all set then I really don't know what to think of you.

timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    supersets for antagonist muscle groups. they seems to burn cals and increase your matabolism. works good for building muscle as well.

king of supersets: 20 rep squats and pullovers. metabolic wonders.

Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by timmy47
    supersets for antagonist muscle groups. they seems to burn cals and increase your matabolism. works good for building muscle as well.

king of supersets: 20 rep squats and pullovers. metabolic wonders.
    You don't lift weights to lose weight. You use cardio and proper diet to lose weight. Weight training should focus on increasing/maintaining strength while trying to shed fat.

But don't take it from me . . .

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=517831

timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    can you read? i was talking about burning cals and increasing your matabolism. like it or not, your goning to burn cals working out. i never said anything about working out to lose weight.

Originally Posted by timmy47
    can you read? i was talking about burning cals and increasing your matabolism. like it or not, your goning to burn cals working out. i never said anything about working out to lose weight.
    If you're intention wasn't about working out to lose weight, why did you mention burning more calories and increasing the metabolism (all things associated with losing weight)? Don't get all pissy kid, just trying to educate here.

Your statement could have mislead someone to think that they should design their weightlifting program to burn more calories and increase the metabolism, which is the wrong route to take. The weightlifting, as I stated above, should be designed to increase strength and muscle mass which will, as a result, help increase metabolism. You don't try to burn additional calories during your weightlifting session. Of course your going to burn calories working out. You burn calories living. When weightlifting, burning calories shouldn't even be on your mind.

You take care of that with diet and cardio, if necessary.

Don't take it personal kid, just learn to take constructive criticism.
    Last edited by Big Will C; 01-30-2006 at 09:39 PM.

well some people dont like cardio(like me)but want to still be lean. and im sorry for being a little rude. i was just pissed off yesterday. supersets help build mass as well. and muscle is a metabolic tissue therefor you will burn more cals just to maintain your muscle. id rather do a workout that keeps me lean and makes me big.