Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    spiritus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

OATMEAL vs. GRITS

This may be a dumb question, but regarding diet, is there a diety difference in eating grits in lieu of oatmeal? And is using plain sugar a no-no?

Must be a southern thing, but my rednck heart has a loyalty to grits, but not at the expense of my diet.

Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Synicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think sugar is a no-no. I just use equal. I think equal may cause cancer, but that's better than being fat. You may want to choose splenda, honey, or something less toxic than equal. Sugar be a no-no.

Fitday:

1 cup grits, corn hominy = 110 calories, 0 fat, 124 carbs, 3 protein

1 cup quaker old fashioned oats = 300 calories, 3 fat, 54 carbs, 12 protein

Grits look pretty good but I just throw my oats in my shakes, I don't think grits would work too well for me. Eat them grits up, look like a good carb source in the mornin.

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Grits and sugar? I gagged once on Pone and srup (syrup for us Yankees). Why not go all out with Fruit Loops and soft bacon. I picked up a great Southern breakfast tip in Atlanta. P-nutt butter omlette. I just make them with one yolk, 8 whites and natural P-nutt butter. Anyway go with oatmeal and a little honey or Splenda on it.

yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile Oatmeal vs Grits

Spiritus- From what I've read part of the benefit of oatmeal(and it's ability to lower serum cholesterol levels) is it's molecular structure. As it passes through the "tube" it scrapes and collects low density lipoids(fats) and spirits them to the lower digestive tract for elimination. Combine this with it's slow burning carb profile and it is an excellent natural "supplement" Being from south Georgia I love my grits, but have given them up for oatmeal. I sprinkle raw oatmeal in nonfat vanilla yogurt with strawberries for a great postworkout snack.

This is my first post here- I really enjoy the forum. I turn 50 next year and have been looking for an "elder" perspective on this great sport.

Rick

"Str8 Droppin' Knowledge" plugugly's Avatar
    plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10) plugugly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just recently started a thread about this a week or so ago. I have always hated oatmeal, but found that adding frozen fruit and 2 packets of Splenda has me now loving my oatmeal. Yesterday I added blackberries and Splenda. I kid you not...it tasted like blackberry cobbler....delicious. Oatmeal is now my favorite carb.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The Dutchess makes me two cups of Oatmeal on every workout day. She always adds some ground Flax Seed to it as well. On other days we have a treat with the same basics done in Oatmeal pancakes which we then enjoy with some natural Applesauce spread on top. Yummy!
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

kenchi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenchi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenchi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenchi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenchi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenchi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenchi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Elder Perspective!

Originally Posted by yellowrv
    I turn 50 next year and have been looking for an "elder" perspective on this great sport.
    Rick--

First of all, welcome to JSF - you will find it to be one of the best forums out there and very helpful. As to an "elder perspective", there are many, many posters on the forum who are well over the age of "50" and have much good advise to share.

Myself, I am age 71, and have always been interested in fitness and nutrition as a way of life. With that in mind, I have created a non-commercial site aimed at the "over 50's" gang and invite you to take a peak at: http://netconex.com/kenchi

It is living proof that, yes, there really *is* life after 50, 60, 70 and even 80.

I wish you the best for continued success in reaching your fitness goals and look forward to your future posts on John's forum.

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile I love my goop!

After every weight workout I take a concoction of --> either Oatmeal or Grits, doesn't matter to me. I cook up six egg whites and mix them into the OM or Grits along with about tablespoon or two of Cinnamon powder.

It's kinda drab so I usually take some kind of flavorful no calorie drink with it like a Diet Coke.

I can tell you when I finish off a workout I am one hungry bear. A big bowl goop and eggs is great. First time or two it was...well let's say not so desireable. Now I just gorge it down like an icecream cone.

The Grits and OM just have more carbs than I would normally eat, but within two hours of a workout I'm fine with'em.

---> So I don't pay much attention to either OM or grits, just a good old carb staple in my book.

I usually take a half cup of dry Oatmeal or Grits and mix with 1 cup water. I cook it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. I use whole eggs, which I crack and pour off the whites. I cook them in skillet on the stove with just a little Pam to keep them from sticking. I mix the cooked eggs into the cooked grits or Oatmeal and stir in the cinnamon powder. The cinnamon is a herb and does a bunch of great things for you. This way I get cinnamon without sugar like so many food products with cinnamon have. This is a very quicky meal and it does get me going.
    Last edited by domineaux; 01-29-2006 at 09:16 AM.
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    go for grits it has no fat

Sound the Lunk Alarm!!!!! HighGear's Avatar
    HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Synicus View Post
    I think sugar is a no-no. I just use equal. I think equal may cause cancer, but that's better than being fat. You may want to choose splenda, honey, or something less toxic than equal. Sugar be a no-no.

Fitday:

1 cup grits, corn hominy = 110 calories, 0 fat, 124 carbs, 3 protein

1 cup quaker old fashioned oats = 300 calories, 3 fat, 54 carbs, 12 protein

Grits look pretty good but I just throw my oats in my shakes, I don't think grits would work too well for me. Eat them grits up, look like a good carb source in the mornin.
    John McCann's Steel cut Irish oats

Takes 35 minutes to cook, but well worth it! + You can get it at wallymarts.

1 cup cooked = 183 cal, 3 fat, 35 carb, 5 protein.

or go to a whole foods store and look for Oat Groats, These are a whole grain oat.
    1 cup cooked = 160, 3 fat, 28 carb, 7 protein
    When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion. –C.P. Snow, Science and Government

Sometimes when no one's home I enjoy seperating m&m's into color groups and pretending they're little villages of people with their own economic and social problems, and then I try to fix them through free trade agreements and other diplomatic measures! - NoPainNoGain

HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HighGear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by PearlSoap View Post
    go for grits it has no fat
    1 cup of hominy grits has 8.5 grams of fat.
    When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion. –C.P. Snow, Science and Government

Sometimes when no one's home I enjoy seperating m&m's into color groups and pretending they're little villages of people with their own economic and social problems, and then I try to fix them through free trade agreements and other diplomatic measures! - NoPainNoGain

Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1 cup oatmeal + 2 scoops chocolate whey protein..... Mmmmm!

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Nodeal View Post
    1 cup oatmeal + 2 scoops chocolate whey protein..... Mmmmm!
    I'll agree with this also even though the thread is five years old.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Old_Swole View Post
    I'll agree with this also even though the thread is five years old.
    thank you!

C'mon Guys!!! you have to check the age of these threads when they are resurrected: this Pearl whatever, awash in red, and underage for our forum, re-opens a pointless 5 year old thread.......

time to ignore....

kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think equal may cause cancer, but that's better than being fat.
    LOL!! Quote of the year!!

(No matter how old)

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LOL

ITT being fat is worse than cancer

not sure I woudl go there LOL

I have never heard anything about splenda causing cancer though.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    w oatmieal you can add more ingridients to make either a desert or meal..its more flexible than grits

DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just use equal. I think equal may cause cancer, but that's better than being fat.
    ^^^^ This! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Vanity at all costs!
    "It doesn't matter what exercise you do, but man was made to move, to eat sparingly, to work hard and to screw as much as he can manage. Do all that, and you will look as good as your genes will let you, be content as the arseholes around you will allow, and maybe get a few screws. The particular virtues of weight training are in the discipline it brings to both mind and body, and, if you do it right, it will make you look good naked and do well what you got your clothes off to do." Georgeoz

wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oatmeal is better for you than grits. The oatmeal needs to be the old-fashioned oats vs the quick oats. Glycemic index plays a roll in which are better for you. Longer cooking oats have more fiber,therefore, keeping you fuller longer. The quick oats and grits are good for pre-workout meals for quick energy.
    http://www.buckeyefitness.com

PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PearlSoap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wendyreddinger View Post
    Oatmeal is better for you than grits. The oatmeal needs to be the old-fashioned oats vs the quick oats. Glycemic index plays a roll in which are better for you. Longer cooking oats have more fiber,therefore, keeping you fuller longer. The quick oats and grits are good for pre-workout meals for quick energy.
    Takes so much time to cook the old fashioned steel cut oats, over 30mins if I remember correctly from last time I tried them. Quick oats are, well, quick. If it means that it makes me stick to my diet I will go for quick oats.

Would rather have quick oats for brekky than a quick quarter pounder with cheese and fries later in the day because I missed breakfast and was hungry as a mofo'er.

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    w oatmieal you can add more ingridients to make either a desert or meal..its more flexible than grits
    I like to mix my oatmeal with a little butter, brown sugar, eggs (for the protein), vanilla extract, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and raisins. I then make them it into little balls, put them on a pan and bake them so they are more portable (who has a bowl and water all the time?)

No they are not cookies! They are high protein, low GI carb, fiber rich, baked nutrient clusters! You can't do that with grits!

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by HighGear View Post
    I like to mix my oatmeal with a little butter, brown sugar, eggs (for the protein), vanilla extract, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and raisins. I then make them it into little balls, put them on a pan and bake them so they are more portable (who has a bowl and water all the time?)

No they are not cookies! They are high protein, low GI carb, fiber rich, baked nutrient clusters! You can't do that with grits!
    um tasty, imo try it

star123123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think oatmeal is better..

GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GlennThomas1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Nothing is better than Young Dro Westside Westside Bankhead Grits.

Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatseg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oat meal 95% of the time, grits once in a while. oat meal is just much more healthier when you consider the fiber/protein contents in constrast to grits.
    Dec 2013 - 220. Jan 15th 2014 - Decided to lose some weight. Feb 13th - 212lbs.
    I'm on the common sense get in shape lifestyle, there's no special diet or workout.

phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000)
    Grits with hot sauce and butter. I can't eat them any other way.

badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badclams has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by phamine View Post
    Grits with hot sauce and butter. I can't eat them any other way.
    Never tried them with hot sauce just cracked black. Better than brain tumors from Splenda IMO.
    North Side Tac Jump Out Boys *1
    No, you cant call yo moma !

HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HFWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oatmeal is probably "better" because of the soluble fiber content. The southern way to eat grits is mixed in with over-easy eggs, with lots of salt n peppah. Nothing wrong with sugar; I use brown sugar in oatmeal, along with butter. Plain oatmeal is just too bland. Could use fruit, I suppose, to add fiber and micronutrients not present in sugar.
    Strong like bull...

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Is it weird that I can't hear the word 'grits' without thinking of Flo?

NiceGuyTom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sugar in the morning will negatively set the tone for your blood sugar for the day and kill any catabolic fat burning you have going on from sleep time.