Thread: 3day->5day

motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

split change? need some opinions!

After about 3 weeks on a 3 day split, i've seen no gain anywhere, except for my forearms. this is my routine:

1-1.5 mile run warmup

Monday -Back/biceps
    Wide grip pulldowns (3 sets)
    Seated rows (2 sets)
    Shrugs (3 sets)
    Preacher curls (3 sets)
    Hammer curls (2 sets)

Weds - Legs/Shoulders
    Leg press (3 sets)
    Leg extension (2 sets)
    Leg curl (3 sets)
    Standing calf raise (3 sets)
    Seated dumbell press (3 sets)
    Side laterals (2 sets)

Friday- Chest/Forearms/Tris
    Bench press (3 sets)
    Incline dumbell press (3 sets)
    Pushdowns (3 sets)
    Overhead dumbell extension (2 sets)
    Wrist curls (2 sets)
    Reverse wrist curls (2 sets)
    Reverse Preacher Curl (2 sets)

.75-1 mile run cool down

For the next two months, i'm going to have to time for a 5 day split. since i'm sort of a beginner, i'm wondering if it's a good idea. i'd split up each muscle group and do a lot more isolation exercises. any suggestions?
    Last edited by motionOne; 04-04-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Doing more isolation work isn't going to get you anywhere.

The first thing I would do is ditch the 1+ mile warm up. Doing a few minutes on a stationary bike is more than enough. Use light weight warm up sets for individual exercises to get the target muscles ready and to remind yourself of proper technique.

You need to incorporate heavy compound lifts into your program and base everything on them. Instead of pulldowns for your back, alternate between barbell rows and deadlifts. For some vertical lat work, do some wide grip pull ups. The leg press machine is good for little other than holding your sweaty towel while you squat (with a full range of motion).

You can significantly simplify the iso work that you do. Honestly, both wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are a waste of time. Do barbell curls and triceps extensions (flat, incline, decline, seated, whatever).

Your forearms will get their work from holding on to heavy weights that you row and deadlift. Your biceps and triceps will be fried from your other compound movements, and then you can use just a few isolation exercises to finish them off.

motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motionOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the community i live in offers a gym, but it's all machines and dumbells. i have no access to a barbell, so squats, deadlifts, etc are out of the question. that is what i was able to piece together with the equipment that i have to work with. can you maybe suggest anything else to modify the routine? also, the mile run are to help w/ my endurance and stamina. surfing is starting soon, and i've been rotting away in my apartment all winter. switching to the bike would be better?

anyone...?

Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ah, that does complicate things a bit.

For legs you can do DB squats, DB plie squats, DB step ups, DB lunges, and DB stiff legged deadlifts. For back, DB rows are good. Make sure you bend over to as close to 90 degree parallel as you can. This will really hit the lats and work your core muscles as well. If your lower back is fried from a previous session, you can also do one-armed DB rows with a bench for support. For shoulders, I'd go with a standing overhead DB press. You can work these exercises in with the machines and still see good progress I'd imagine.

As for the run, it is really up to you. Doing your cardio before lifting will negatively impact your lifting sessions. But if having endurance is more important to you for surfing, by all means, prioritize that ahead of the weights. Give the most training focus to whichever is the most important aspect of your program. Another option would be to put all of your cardio either after your lifting or do the cardio on non-lifting days.

A few minutes of bike work before lifting is a good warm tool, but I wouldn't count it as cardio. It'll get your body temp raised without draining you. Even if you do this, it is still important to warm up each muscle you're working with a few sets before you get into your heavier working sets.