Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

yogurt on a keto diet

Can someone tell me if its ok to have it? Does it contain alot of carbs?

Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you want to use yoghurt to get in protein, it has too many carbs as it has very little protein compared to quark, (= fresh cheese that looks like yoghurt) and esp. compared to hüttenkäse (one step further with small cheeseparticles).

For comparison:
    hüttenkäse has 93 kcals/100 gram and 12 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat and just 2 grams of carbs.
    So since I need 22 g of protein /meal (=132 g/day) I only need 180 gram of it.. which will give approx. 4 g of carbs.. and gives the least amt of kcal.

next in protein source is full fat quark (fresh cheese): 158 kcal/100 gram and 11 g of protein, 11 g of fat and 3 g of carbs. Here 200 g is needed for the protein, but it leads to 6 g of carb intaken.

No-fat quark has 62 kcal/100 g and 10 g of protein, 1 gram of fat and 4 g of carbs. Now more than 200 g is needed for the protein and you'll get in 9 g of carbs.

Full-fat yoghurt OTOH has 56 kcal/100 g, just 4 g of protein, 3 g of fat and 4 g of carbs. For the same 22 g of protein, I'd need 550 g of yoghurt, but would get in 22 g of carbs as well.. hence yoghurt is an unsuitable protein source.. however, it also means that if I still want to use yoghurt just to mix in whey powder (you're a yoghurt addict I suppose) you can use 100 g of yoghurt to keep around the 3 g carbs /meal.

Low-fat yoghurt is not much different, just lower amt of kcal and no fat.

This calculating thing is quite complicated so I made a spreadsheet for myself in which I calculate how much protein, fat & carbs I can have with a 24 kcal/kg feeding scheme (I am on a ketogenic diet). By making this spreadsheet i can immediately see how much I can eat from certain foodstuffs that would be 'forbidden' otherwise until I hit the carb limit for that meal.

It is quite useful I think. Unfortunately no use to you as the names of the food compounds are all in dutch. But I'll be happy to explain how to set it up if you want to use a similar system..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Big is not strong, strong is strong!

Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esperantisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    PS.. in case ppl are worried about lactose, fermented dairy products like yoghurt, fresh cheese and cheese contain very little of it.. watch out with milk though
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Big is not strong, strong is strong!

Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phenom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it...

ps yeah iv stopped takin milk.....

tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tcs1366 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hence yoghurt is an unsuitable protein source.. however, it also means that if I still want to use yoghurt just to mix in whey powder
    this is why i mix cottage cheese and yogurt - to up the protein

here is a great link to understand the carbs in yogurt

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

Scared of Cottage Cheese such a loser yo's Avatar
    such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by tcs1366
    this is why i mix cottage cheese and yogurt - to up the protein

here is a great link to understand the carbs in yogurt

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

bringing this thread back from the graveyard.

the above article is very interesting... is this true? if so, shouldn't i start eating my yogurt at night instead of the morning?

Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000)
    great article. i'm going out tomorrow and stocking up on yogurt. does the same thing go for frozen yogurt?
    I'm like a ghost with a hammer in my hands.

Faster and Stronger. **** Bigger.

The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical activity.

tamesbm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lowcarbdiets,about,com/od/whattoeat/a/yogurtcarbs,htm

This topic intrigues me as well. I often research foods on nutritiondata.com and there it says that 1 cup of whole milk has exactly the same amount of carbs as 1 cup of whole yogurt, which makes no sense at all. I guess it would be safe to assume that yogurt has, at least, less carbs than milk, how many exactly being a mystery.
    Also, I suspect that kefir would reduce carbs even more than regular yogurt cultures.
    Does anyone have more information about this?

I've found a nice description on how to lower carb content on kefir milk
    www,culturesforhealth,com/reducing-lactose-content-kefir

(note· replaced dots for comas in the links, because I'm not allowed to post links yet)
    Last edited by tamesbm; 02-15-2014 at 10:33 AM.