Closed Thread
    Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking List of all muscles largest to smallest?

This is the best thread I could think of for this. Hope its OK to post this in this section.

Can anyone point me to a complete list or chart of skeletal muscles in order from largest to smallest?

I've tried for a long time to find it on Google but no luck. The best I can find is a small partial list, or some "interesting facts" saying XYZ is the largest or ABC is the smallest.

If anyone knows of a good source for this please post a link. Thanks a bunch.

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Legs
    Back
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Calves
    Triceps
    Biceps

Thats my understanding, someone prove me right or wrong as im very interested as well

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by _Lifter4Life_
    Legs
    Back
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Calves
    Triceps
    Biceps

Thats my understanding, someone prove me right or wrong as im very interested as well

Lifter,
    I believe glutes are your largest muscle.

Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grunyen will become famous soon enough. (+50)

uhh....

Thanks for the incomplete answers, but as I stated, I already got that much.

Besides which, saying "back" and "triceps" in the same list is sort of playing fast-and-loose with your catagories.

I'm looking for a full listing of all voluntary skeletal muscles (not the heart, not the damn stapes in your ear) by their name (bicep, quadricep, etc.) not just general location. And, as I said, in order either ascending or descending.

Thanks again.

waseem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waseem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bubba g
    I believe glutes are your largest muscle.
    not largest, but strongest.

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

waseem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waseem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by waseem
    not largest, but strongest.
    Yeah, the glutes are your rear wheel drive
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

Registered User wonderdownunder's Avatar
    wonderdownunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wonderdownunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    here are the major ones

quadriceps (vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, rectus femoris, vastus intermedialis)

glutes ( gluteus medius, gluteus maximus)

hamstrings ( biceps femoris, semitendinosis, semimembrinosis)

back ( lattisimus dorsi, trapezius, rhomboids and erector spinae)

chest (pectoralis major and pectoralis minor)

abs ( rectus abdominus, internal obliques and external obliques)

shoulders ( anterior deltoid, medial deltoid and posterior deltoid)

calves (gastrocnemius and soleus)

biceps (biceps brachii)

triceps (triceps brachii)

forearm (brachioradialis and a sh**load of others)

hope thats what you were after what you want them for

Originally Posted by wonderdownunder
    here are the major ones

quadriceps (vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, rectus femoris, vastus intermedialis)

glutes ( gluteus medius, gluteus maximus)

hamstrings ( biceps femoris, semitendinosis, semimembrinosis)

back ( lattisimus dorsi, trapezius, rhomboids and erector spinae)

chest (pectoralis major and pectoralis minor)

abs ( rectus abdominus, internal obliques and external obliques)

shoulders ( anterior deltoid, medial deltoid and posterior deltoid)

calves (gastrocnemius and soleus)

biceps (biceps brachii)

triceps (triceps brachii)

forearm (brachioradialis and a sh**load of others)

hope thats what you were after what you want them for

The quads are your largest muscle group, but the gluteus maximus is your largest muscle.

THANK YOU

That's finally what I'm looking for.

I don't like focus splits because I don't like to wreck my whole arms on an "arm day" or legs on "legs day" for instance. I think working out quads and hams together doesn't make sense because you use so much energy on one, you're robbing your efforts on the other.

Also, I don't like splits that give you only a bunch of small muscles on one day- I've read that attacking large muscles stimulates testosterone, which helps all your muscles grow, while no amount of small muscle work will ellicit that same testasterone spurt.

So, I'm looking at breaking down the muscles into three split workouts based on a "picking teams" concept from largest to smallest. (The way you would have three team captains pick the best players for three teams) i.e.

Big A
    Medium A
    Smaller A
    Smallest A

Big B
    Medium B
    Smaller B
    Smallest B

Big C
    Medium C
    Smaller C
    Smallest C

Hope that makes sense. The idea is to have 3 workouts that distribute focus throughout the whole body, but still each have large medium and small muscle groups in them.
    Last edited by Grunyen; 01-27-2006 at 09:19 PM.

Originally Posted by Grunyen
    THANK YOU

That's finally what I'm looking for.

I don't like focus splits because I don't like to wreck my whole arms on an "arm day" or legs on "legs day" for instance. I think working out quads and hams together doesn't make sense because you use so much energy on one, you're robbing your efforts on the other.

Also, I don't like splits that give you only a bunch of small muscles on one day- I've read that attacking large muscles stimulates testosterone, which helps all your muscles grow, while no amount of small muscle work will ellicit that same testasterone spurt.

So, I'm looking at breaking down the muscles into three split workouts based on a "picking teams" concept from largest to smallest. (The way you would have three team captains pick the best players for three teams) i.e.

Big A
    Medium A
    Smaller A
    Smallest A

Big B
    Medium B
    Smaller B
    Smallest B

Big C
    Medium C
    Smaller C
    Smallest C

Hope that makes sense. The idea is to have 3 workouts that distribute focus throughout the whole body, but still each have large medium and small muscle groups in them.

IMO you are doing way to much thinking about it....

just make sure you do your heavy compound movements, Squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press... 12 total sets for large muscle groups.. legs, back, chest. and 6-9 for your smaller muscle groups.. and split them up so you don't hit the same muscles on consecutive days....

Originally Posted by bubba g
    IMO you are doing way to much thinking about it....

just make sure you do your heavy compound movements, Squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press... 12 total sets for large muscle groups.. legs, back, chest. and 6-9 for your smaller muscle groups.. and split them up so you don't hit the same muscles on consecutive days....
    I'm already on all that.

The only thing I *don't* do is deadlifts. I do extensions on a machine, and two types of squats. One on a Smith with my feet far in front so I really focus on the heels to glutes drive.

I might could be talked into deadlifts. Why should I do them?

As far as overthinking it, give me any two guys who put int he equal amount of effort, time, and heart- and add science to one, he'll blow the other guy away. I can't think of any advantage to training dumb, or not experimenting.

Originally Posted by Grunyen
    I'm already on all that.

The only thing I *don't* do is deadlifts. I do extensions on a machine, and two types of squats. One on a Smith with my feet far in front so I really focus on the heels to glutes drive.

I might could be talked into deadlifts. Why should I do them?

As far as overthinking it, give me any two guys who put int he equal amount of effort, time, and heart- and add science to one, he'll blow the other guy away. I can't think of any advantage to training dumb, or not experimenting.
    Deadlifts are the best compound movement there is. Squats, and Deads are two exercises that hit a huge ammount of muscles. So many stabilizing muscles are involved in them.

If you could only do a single exercise Deadlifts would be the one to do, it hits your entire legs, lower, middle, upper back, biceps, traps, forearms, abs, hip flexors, shoulders.. and more

In response to the trying different things, that is cool, it is just my opinion, I think hard work, good form, and mixing things up often are what is most important.

Thanks for the info.

Well, I like to think I'm already working hard and mixing it up.

With the deadlifts... I dunno, they just don't feel like anything. Maybe its cause they are TOO compound.

I don't see how you can be working all those muscle groups though unless your doing a lot more with your arms or shoulders. Are you deadlifting into a shrug? I thought the end position was just standing up holding the weight as it hangs, not doing anything with your arms.

I guess one of my reasons is it looks a little back scary. I do 180 lbs. on the Cybex back extension machine, which is more than I can squat with (in terms of added weight, not including my body weight) so maybe I shouldn't be so worried about it?

Should I start deadlifts with about my normal squat weight?

samay85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Grunyen View Post
    This is the best thread I could think of for this. Hope its OK to post this in this section.

Can anyone point me to a complete list or chart of skeletal muscles in order from largest to smallest?

I've tried for a long time to find it on Google but no luck. The best I can find is a small partial list, or some "interesting facts" saying XYZ is the largest or ABC is the smallest.

If anyone knows of a good source for this please post a link. Thanks a bunch.
    ---

Glutes are the largest
    Then the stratorious which runs from your hip to the inside of the knee
    then the lattisimus dorsi
    then the pectorals
    then the deltoids
    there are many more but those are the top 5 largest

Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by samay85 View Post
    ---

Glutes are the largest
    Then the stratorious which runs from your hip to the inside of the knee
    then the lattisimus dorsi
    then the pectorals
    then the deltoids
    there are many more but those are the top 5 largest
    Congrats on your first post being a response to a thread that has been dead for exactly 7 years!
    "He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    -Dr. Seuss

Fluoresce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluoresce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Stev05 View Post
    Congrats on your first post being a response to a thread that has been dead for exactly 7 years!
    LOL! :-D And here I come 3 years and 5 months later to see this and laugh!

It was exactly 7 years, almost to the minute, and he didn't make any other posts!

vmagirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    (I know, this is an old post!)
    Actually the smallest muscles you can control in your body (i.e., contract voluntarily) are your rotares which are located between each vertebrae. You can strengthen these (it's very gentle and you'll probably need someone who knows what they're doing to help you) to strengthen your spine and core and build balance and nerve response. Or, at least, so says my PT who taught me this today to treat a neck injury. (Stumbled on this post looking for info on smaller stablizing muscles...don't see any listed!)