Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My Home Gym Construction-help please

Hey guys
    I have been away from the board for a few weeks..been busy with work, the holdiays and working at finishing my gym.... the good news is it should be mudded/taped in this weekend..then paint...!!! almost there..... been having my loaded Conan aka Titan gym sitting in my garage in its box waiting to be set up..but before i can set it up i need to finish a few things....

wondering if anyone could help me out?
    I can not decide on paint color.......the ceiling will be white.....but the walls I am not sure..been thinking white...or yellow... or two walls yellow two walls silver?? the room is about 450 square feet..basement so i need it bright to make it look larger...anyone into colors any suggestions???

Mirrors- now these are tough....I called my local Mirror and glass guy for a mirror 4x6 they want 144 CDN.....i have checked homedepot they do not sell them that large....but its a littel cheaper if i go with 2 mirrors 4x2 and put them together..wondered if anyone knew where to get mirrors? I will continue to look on ebay.ca, craigslist.org and local classifieds..

Anyways...if anyone is interesed i can post photos of the progress??? my home gym is coming..just a little later that than the xmas deadline be more march i think or even april.....

thx in advance
    Jim

PS I am in Ontario CANADA near Hamilton.
    Intensity + Diet=Progress

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The previous owner of my house must have gotten a great deal on yellow paint, because all 4 of my basement walls are yellow. Unless your tastes are completely different than mine, trust me, you do not want yellow.

david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I picked up two mirrors at ikea for $20/mirror. They measure 40"X32" and i just put them together. I believe they also had this HUGE mirror, i believe it was 6'X5' that i would have purchased if it had been a little cheaper. They wanted $99 for it.

Have you tried your local classified ads? Often times people are giving away used mirrors for free if you come haul it away for them.

As far as paint colors, i would go with the common white. A clean white color will keep room feeling fresh and the mood upbeat. White walls with good lighting are the way to go.
    HORMONEMAN- worst rep on bb.com (WORST COMPANY owner) Steve Protein Factory is catching up (Edit: He's there).
    Read these threads:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=651142
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=650455

HORMONEMAN's lies confirmed:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=662222

Old School Bodybuilder Frank_The_Tank's Avatar
    Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah, I agree on white walls. I got lucky with my home gym. The previous owners of my house had a daughter that was very into ballet. They had a room in the house just for her to dance. It has a nice wood floor and a full-wall mirror. All i had to do was put rubber mats down.

gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gunnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by C Man
    The previous owner of my house must have gotten a great deal on yellow paint, because all 4 of my basement walls are yellow. Unless your tastes are completely different than mine, trust me, you do not want yellow.
    Same thing happened to us.When we moved into our house years ago the previous owners who were indian had painted the whole house yellow,including the outside brick walls.I set to repainting the whole house straight away,and It was one of those jobs you do not want to do ever again.

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would go with an "off-white" color. Pure white is a little hard on the eyes and a bugger to keep clean.
    But, like the others have said, stay away from yellow.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) Demonseed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey
    Thanks guys...I actually was thinking white....you just helped thanks...I do have lots of lighting 18 pot lights.... should be good that way.. as for the mirrors..one guy said $99 for a 6x5 mirror at ikea? is that CDN????? I will have to check.....

also guys whats your opinion on floor?? I am thinking rubber..was going to get those antfatique interlocking matts and do the whole floor....

any other things I should take into consideration??
    thx
    Jim

AZIronMine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AZIronMine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I prefer white as the color. For those who care, it allows that pretty much any color of equipment will "look right". It is as stated by others, bright too.

Interestingly, there was some research completed a few years past re: color, visual acuity, and the body's response. It was found that colors like red, pink, yellow and if I recall correctly, purple, had an immediate and adverse affect on strength. They tested numerous people with explosive lifts for completeness, fatigue and maximum weight. Not sure how conclusive the studies were though. I have not looked, but you might google if interested and see if it is out there (lot of useless info - huh ?).

As to flooring, it depends on your intent, style of lifting and placement of equipment. Rubber flooring is great for powerlifting. If you plan on really heavy basic movements like deadlifts or any olympic lifts, then you need to rethink rubber and look at an actual reinforced lifting platform. Same will go with really heavy lifts.

I prefer a mix of rubber and carpet. In my garage gym (see link for pics below), I have entire area indoor/outdoor carpet. No under-pad. Yet, at a few strategic spots, I have some rubber mats.

As to mirrors... Ikea pricing sounded really good to me and yes mirrors are VERY expensive from a glass shop. Advice given so far re: classifieds in the paper and perhaps garage/yard sales is a great solution. Something I also did for my mirrors, was to find and use mirrored closet doors. Very large and I found them used.

Hope that helps....

http://groups.msn.com/TheIronMineGar...ehomegyms.msnw

("real" site - soon to come !)

Hey
    Yea I have been debating the flooring.. i was thinking rubber all the way..but maybe not.....i will think about it....the matts I can get are 3x3 for $14 each. how does carpet compare???

AZ..your gyme is very good..nice work...I love to see photos of gyms!! once mine is done i will load em.

thx
    Jim
    Last edited by Demonseed; 01-26-2006 at 10:30 AM.

david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) david4zero8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Demonseed
    Hey
    Yea I have been debating the flooring.. i was thinking rubber all the way..but maybe not.....i will think about it....the matts I can get are 3x3 for $14 each. how does carpet compare???

AZ..your gyme is very good..nice work...I love to see photos of gyms!! once mine is done i will load em.

thx
    Jim
    Rubber flooring for the entire gym isn't necessary, and will get quite expensive if you plan on doing the entire room. As AZ has said, carpet is a good alternative as long as you do not plan on dropping weights on it. A good place to put down rubber mats are in and around the power rack or cage, and under an adjustable bench where you plan to use dumbbells, and in some instances drop the dumbbells on the floor.
    HORMONEMAN- worst rep on bb.com (WORST COMPANY owner) Steve Protein Factory is catching up (Edit: He's there).
    Read these threads:

Hey
    Well a 3x3 mat i can get for $15..only little over 1 square foot....what will carpet run me? also how do i install it??

thx
    Jim

Hey
    Well a 3x3 mat i can get for $15..only little over 1 square foot....what will carpet run me? also how do i install it??

thx
    Jim
    To be honest i have never looked into the pricing for carpet, so AZ would be a better person to ask. Is there a Home Depot or OSH in canada? You should be able to get pricing from them for a DIY project. I believe AZ stated once that he just cut the carpet to fit the room, then layed it down allowing the weight of the equipment to hold it in place.
    Read these threads:

AZIronMine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AZIronMine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey again Demonseed.

I watched the newpaper (classifieds) and picked up a full roll of grey indoor/outdoor carpeting (new - still in plastic) from a woman for $90. And... She had one of her firends drive it over in his pickup truck.

I say, watch the newspaper for a week or so and see if anything pops up. If not, you can try Home Depot. They carry it (at least the ones in Phoenix do) and will cut to length for you. However, you have to go with the standard roll width.

I just emptied my garage, measured, cut to fit (You need a VERY sharp and heavy duty knife - watch your fingers !), and laid it down. No glue and no underpad. Due to the size of the garage, I laid one entire full run, and the had to cut a couple of large pieces for the rest. Just took my time and got it really close (not bad for an amateur). The pieces just sit next to each other - seam to seam.

I figured it would not need any glue to set in place, nor would it shift since the weights and equipment are outrageously heavy. Hasn't moved yet. I have had it for about 9 years now. Have a few small stains here and there from oil, while lubing pulleys. But over-all it still looks pretty good.

I have rubber mats - the interlocking type you are talking about - placed in a few spots. Mostly where I lift heavy, I sit on the ground (like with seated cable rows), and under my shrug bar. I purchased the rubber mats on sale from Checker Auto (go figure) at $6.99 for a pack of 4. They are 2 x 2. I see them every so often on sale there and also at Pep Boys Auto.

Hope that helps.

Kandar7272 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kandar7272 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kandar7272 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey guys
    I have been away from the board for a few weeks..been busy with work, the holdiays and working at finishing my gym.... the good news is it should be mudded/taped in this weekend..then paint...!!! almost there..... been having my loaded Conan aka Titan gym sitting in my garage in its box waiting to be set up..but before i can set it up i need to finish a few things....

wondering if anyone could help me out?
    I can not decide on paint color.......the ceiling will be white.....but the walls I am not sure..been thinking white...or yellow... or two walls yellow two walls silver?? the room is about 450 square feet..basement so i need it bright to make it look larger...anyone into colors any suggestions???

Mirrors- now these are tough....I called my local Mirror and glass guy for a mirror 4x6 they want 144 CDN.....i have checked homedepot they do not sell them that large....but its a littel cheaper if i go with 2 mirrors 4x2 and put them together..wondered if anyone knew where to get mirrors? I will continue to look on ebay.ca, craigslist.org and local classifieds..

Anyways...if anyone is interesed i can post photos of the progress??? my home gym is coming..just a little later that than the xmas deadline be more march i think or even april.....

thx in advance
    Jim

PS I am in Ontario CANADA near Hamilton.
    Hey Demonseed - I'm not sure where you are in Ontario, but there's a store in Guelph that sells big mirrors (at least they did a few years ago) with imperceptible defects for cheap. It's called Barberglass - check it out.

rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would stay away from the cheap rubber flooring. I bought some that was similar in price to what you mentioned and was not impressed. I went to carpet instead. I would however like if I had the cash to get gym grade rubber floor. I think it is more like $50.00 for 3x3 square.

Hey
    Wow thanks so much for all the pointers thus far... I priced out carpet and it is cheap..however I need to find someone to install it for me..I do not have the tools etc.. to do it.. one question though..do I need underpadding or is it just for comfort???? I am going to put good rubber matts under the equipment and where I lift.....the gym quality ones are available here in Ontario at Co-op stores (hardware/farm store) and TSC (Tractor something something..) (farm store) for $45 each (6x3 feet) They sell them in the fitness stores for like 60-90 CDN!! and they are the same....

I am going to paint the gym white......we worked today on it and by tommarrow it will be fully drywalled and ready for taping etc...so in the next week or 2 I should be able to paint..

I will look into the mirror place in Guelph....sounds interesting.. I keep shopping around..... Thanks guys!! any other tips please post I do really appreciate them!

Jim

Hey
    Wow thanks so much for all the pointers thus far... I priced out carpet and it is cheap..however I need to find someone to install it for me..I do not have the tools etc.. to do it.. one question though..do I need underpadding or is it just for comfort???? I am going to put good rubber matts under the equipment and where I lift.....the gym quality ones are available here in Ontario at Co-op stores (hardware/farm store) and TSC (Tractor something something..) (farm store) for $45 each (6x3 feet) They sell them in the fitness stores for like 60-90 CDN!! and they are the same....

I am going to paint the gym white......we worked today on it and by tommarrow it will be fully drywalled and ready for taping etc...so in the next week or 2 I should be able to paint..

I will look into the mirror place in Guelph....sounds interesting.. I keep shopping around..... Thanks guys!! any other tips please post I do really appreciate them!

Jim
    Hi Demonseed,

I did not glue or put underpadding in my gym. I think it gives the floor a more solid feel. It never shifts or moves as the weight and equipment holds it in place. You can see the carpet in the pics on my site.

Also, the only "tools" I used were a tape measure, a very sharp knife, a razor knife/box cutter, and a ruler to mark on the underside straight lines.

AZ Iron

http://www.azironmine.com/

Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=david4zero8]
    Have you tried your local classified ads? Often times people are giving away used mirrors for free if you come haul it away for them.

QUOTE]

Did you even read the original post?

Originally Posted by Dick J
    Did you even read the original post?
    77 post and you already have 44 rep points. You must be a regular over at the OT section.

Does your comment add substance to this thread?
    Read these threads:

zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have an 8 x 8 free weight area where I put plywood on the concrete floor and covered it with rubber, (the horse stall mats at tsc I think are the best, however I used 2 x 2 rubber tile squares) The rest of the room ( squat rack, bench and cardio stuff) is indoor outdoor carpet.

Also..a somewhat tackier idea is mirrrored wall tile...I havent priced it nor have I used it, but it is an idea.
    "I wouldnt belong to a club that would have me for a member" Groucho Marx

I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.

Hey
    Yea I was considering carpet without being installed however..my room is one 17x18 room then a 10x10 room attached so an "L" shape....and two posts...I am going to price installs...not sure if I will be able to afford it right away

As for mirrors..mirror tile?? never heard of it.but "tiles" are smaller I am after the gym look.. but thanks for the offer.

Classifieds..yes I keep checking them!! ehehe

thx
    Jim

zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The tiles are like floor tiles...12" x 12". You would put them together to cover the whole wall or whatever part of it you wanted covered.
    "I wouldnt belong to a club that would have me for a member" Groucho Marx

I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.

Originally Posted by zootalors
    The tiles are like floor tiles...12" x 12". You would put them together to cover the whole wall or whatever part of it you wanted covered.
    I've seen those. You would have to make sure the wall is completely flat, or when you install the tiles you place them down flat in comparison to one another. If you dont install it flat, the reflection can change from one tile to the next, a problem you most likely wont have with one larger mirror.
    Read these threads:

Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dick J is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by david4zero8
    77 post and you already have 44 rep points. You must be a regular over at the OT section.

Does your comment add substance to this thread?
    OT?

Hey
    I was at ikea today and they had the 12x12 tiles...they are cheap to buy and actually do not look all that bad...I actually considered them..but in the end I think I am going to go with i think 30x42 or 48side by side...only 1 line but still i can put up myself..check out ikea they have all kinds..

Jim