Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Pain along Ulna during easy bar curls

Any of you guys/gals ever get sharp pains along the outside of the arm about halfway between the elbow and wrist during a curling session?

Happened to me this morning on my second set, felt like the bone itself and almost like a shin splint in my right arm. I was using a easy curl bar and switched to a straight bar for my third set and used used the same weight with no pain at all.Someone told me the easy curl bar forces the shoulder to wrist alignment into a unnatural state. Any opinions?

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I had a friend who use to get pains in his forearms while curling. I told him to loosen his grip. He was squeezing the bar too hard.
    I don't know if this is your problem but Just a thought.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have had this pain for about a year now. Went to the DR, even had xrays taken. No help from him. I ice it occasionally and it hasn't stopped me from working out but is a real bother sometimes. Sure would love to heal it.

ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had this - hurt real bad - felt like it went straight to the bone. The most I could find on it was something called "ulnar stress syndrome". I added forearm exercises to my routine and it went away after a few weeks.
    http://www.buffleheadprod.com
    Life begins underwater

- 25 July 1972 Cata-pole barred from competition because it contains carbon fibers.

"Those who assume hypotheses as first principles of their speculations...may indeed form an ingenious romance, but a romance it will still be." Roger Cotes - preface to Newton's Principia Mathematica 2nd ed 1713

Currently Clean Bulking Shreddedgeek's Avatar
    Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100) Shreddedgeek is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    I had a friend who use to get pains in his forearms while curling. I told him to loosen his grip. He was squeezing the bar too hard.
    I don't know if this is your problem but Just a thought.
    x2

Death grip on the bar and curling the wrist up in the movement. This lengthens the tendon and puts stress on it because your wrist are already at an angle with the EZ bar.

try them with a low weight and see if you curl your wrists, if so adjust your grip and form and increase the weight
    Squat it does a body good!

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ScubaDave View Post
    I had this - hurt real bad - felt like it went straight to the bone. The most I could find on it was something called "ulnar stress syndrome". I added forearm exercises to my routine and it went away after a few weeks.
    Originally Posted by Shreddedgeek View Post
    x2

Death grip on the bar and curling the wrist up in the movement. This lengthens the tendon and puts stress on it because your wrist are already at an angle with the EZ bar.

try them with a low weight and see if you curl your wrists, if so adjust your grip and form and increase the weight
    Thanks, I am so tired of it. It hurts like you said, I often think my arm is broken. I will give that a try.

Registered User DividedbyHatred's Avatar
    DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DividedbyHatred has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Its a common pain when curling. Funny though you said the straight bar felt better than the ez, usually its the other way around. I had the same pain, and just lessened the weight for a few weeks, then started increasing again and now i dont have the pain. I *think* it has something to do with tendon strength.
    "It ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that"

Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hound53 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks for the replies tommorrow is back day for me but I will do a couple of small sets and pay close attention to the wrist position and how hard I am gripping. I was lifting pretty heavy (for me) so there is a good chance I had a death grip going on the bar.

reps to all for the suggestions
    Last edited by Hound53; 01-25-2008 at 04:42 AM.

mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same problem with the EZ bar. I switched to dumbbells, and haven't had the problem since. I'm not surprised that the straight bar helped too.

Mike
    Lifting bits of iron since 3/04.

jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jugglingfreak is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah, It seems to be real common. One suggestion is switch to dumbells for a while. That helped me. No pain with dumbells, pain with EZ bar, even with a higher (per arm) weight.

greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

yup

I had the same problem with the EZ bar. I switched to dumbbells, and haven't had the problem since. I'm not surprised that the straight bar helped too.
    Mike

I had this problem real bad. Did the R.I.C.E. NSAIDS and then switched to DB. No more pain. The ez curl bar indeed hurt the most straight bar was better but still not great. Try those and the pain WILL go away.
    G

Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Rule of thumb: What works for some don't work for others. The only way I ever curled was with an Olympic bar. After RC surgery and a torn ligament in the upper bicep I switched to an EZ curl for several years untill it started to hurt my wrists and former bicep injury. Now, I'm back to the Olympic bar with no pain. I think that it isn't wise to stick to 1 particular bar, weight, exercise and routine UNLESS your training for a particular event(powerlifting). That's the nice thing about bodybuilding...we can do many things in many different ways to target a muscle or muscle group.
    A coward dies many deaths, a Soldier dies one.