solidsnake123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) solidsnake123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) solidsnake123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Doing Bench Press- avoid front deltoid involvement?

Dumbbell Incline (need spotter, squeeze 1 sec at top of rep) 3x10
    10 Wide Pushups Between Sets (feet raised) palms in on handles
    Dumbbell Flat Bench (need spotter, squeeze 1 sec at top of rep) 3x10
    10 Wide Pushups Between Sets palms in on handles
    Dumbbell Narrowgrip Bench (need spotter, squeeze 1 sec at top of rep) 3x10
    Dips (add weight if needed) 3x10

Does that look like a good routine.. 3 sets of 10 for the upper pec, 3 sets of 10 for the main area of the pec, and 3 sets of 10 to develop the inner area some.. and then dips mostly for triceps, but that works the lower part of your chest(instead of decline)

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    at 16 years of age, and no doubt fairly low strength levels, that is one of the worse ways you can train. Do a SIMPLE strength based routine until you have a solid foundation of strength, then worrry about details.

Iron Addict

solidsnake123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) solidsnake123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) solidsnake123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

have a question?

Originally Posted by the iron addict
    at 16 years of age, and no doubt fairly low strength levels, that is one of the worse ways you can train. Do a SIMPLE strength based routine until you have a solid foundation of strength, then worry about details.

Iron Addict
    well I already have a solid base of strength, I just turned 17, I'm 5'3" weigh 133 bench 180, squat 250 and I am an advanced weightlifter.
    what about this routine

15 Narrow Pushups Between Sets

9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by solidsnake123
    well I already have a solid base of strength, I just turned 17, I'm 5'3" weigh 133 bench 180, squat 250 and I am an advanced weightlifter.
    what about this routine

15 Narrow Pushups Between Sets
    No, you're not an advanced lifter, nor do you have a solid base of strength, with a 180 bench and a 250 squat. Hell, I've got 100 lbs on you in the bench, and nearly 200 in the squat, and I'm nowhere near being an advanced lifter.

Why do you want to avoid anterior delt involvement anyway? Getting strong isn't appealing to you? Big shoulders aren't either? Those "routines" suck pretty badly. Listen to iron addict. Do a basic strength program involving the main compound lifts.
    Back from the grave.

the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by solidsnake123
    what about this routine
    Well if that is advanced I'll be damned. Look you are doing OK for your age, but IMO advanced STARTS at a 250 bench, a 400 squat, and a 400-450 lb deadlift. And I train 70+ lifters so I have an idea about what is realistic and when people have a strength base.

Iron Addict

Registered User wonderdownunder's Avatar
    wonderdownunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wonderdownunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    one thing man when you say squeeze 1 sec at top don't lock your joints out to squeeze this will ruin your joints

Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000) Lolzords is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yea be gentle on your elbows. The guy at the gym spotting me on the bench is a trainer and he told me to stop just before lockout on each rep.

well..

the more you work your front deltoid doing bench the less your pecs are getting worked. and just because I can't benchpress 250 pounds doesn't mean I can't work hard. If i benched 250 I wouldn't be working out right now.. that's almost twice my bodyweight. And just because I am not massive doesn't mean I'm not advanced.. I know how to overload the muscles, which muscle groups to work and how often, and how to do all of the exercises correctly. Doing 2 sets of bench press a week like most of you would suggest will not build anything. I may not be what you call advanced.. but you guys are probably about 6 foot 180 or 190 pounds. so having a benchpress of 250 isn't bragging rights really. and I am sorry if I am not technically not "advanced" because my lifts aren't huge.
    I didn't post my leg or back workout because I was mainly asking about chest.. I know what is going on with legs. Have you guys ever heard of a body weight index? 1.5 times your weight on bench is great and twice your weight on squat is great.. that's what my friend who is a personal trainer told me.. and he said that I was doing allright. I also asked the weightlifting coach at our highschool, who is a powerlifting world champ in his age group and he said it looked good. and how do you get a solid foundation of strength if you do an easy workout of just flat bench??
    Last edited by solidsnake123; 01-22-2006 at 05:09 AM.

9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You're showing us more and more that you don't know what you're talking about. You're better off listening to people that actually do.
    Back from the grave.

BurritoJim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BurritoJim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BurritoJim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BurritoJim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're far off from being an advanced lifter. But since you know it all then go ahead and do what you want. It's better than nothing.

I have an 18 year old trainee that is benching 290 and deadlifting 480 and neither of us consider him advanced both because of his age, his experience level (only lifting 3 years) and the fact that he has LOTS of growing and maturing under the bar to do. I have never seen a truly advanced 16 year old lifter and don't believe they exist.

Iron Addict

Fat BB'er or weak PL'er Guinness5.0's Avatar
    Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You abso-tively, posi-lutely CANNOT avoid front delt movemnet in the bench press. It's like trying to squat without using your glutes or row without your bis - completely impossible.

You need to forget what you think you know and learn, young'un. Read an anatomy book - you don't have an 'inner chest'. You don't have a 'lower chest'. And you sure as hell don't need all that chest-centric work. Stick to the basics and eat.
    Originally Posted by young whipper-snapper
    I know...which muscle groups to work and how often...
    Again, forget what you think you know - you'll get much further much faster if/when you get over that bull**** notion of a bodypart split. Train lifts (not bodyparts) with appropriate volume/frequency and you'll grow fastest. Put the Flex magazine down, listen to IA and the others who sound like him. You'll thank 'em later, I promise.