Wat_Ward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pain with pec flies

On the pec fly machine, for some reason, whenever I do it now, I get pains in the back of my arms... near the triceps and sometimes on the rear delts and my upper back. I always have to dismount really slowly and stop tensing really slowly to make the pain subside as quickly as possible. Why does this happen?

kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Adjust the pin to a setting that doesn't stretch you as much.

Stretch your pecs, not your shoulders. Do this by adjusting the angle your elbow makes. Try keeping your arms a bit straighter.

Also, are you gripping the handles or pushing with your palms?

clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clswon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Could be that your body isn't structured to perform that exercise on that machine. I can't use those machines myself, as it puts an uncomfortable strain on my rotator cuff. I stick to crossovers and dumbell flyes, as they allow my body to use a more natural range of motion for my body type.

Originally Posted by clswon View Post
    Could be that your body isn't structured to perform that exercise on that machine. I can't use those machines myself, as it puts an uncomfortable strain on my rotator cuff. I stick to crossovers and dumbell flyes, as they allow my body to use a more natural range of motion for my body type.
    That can't be it, because this has only started happening recently... maybe in the last 4 or 5 weeks. Before then, I could do it fine.

Adjust the pin to a setting that doesn't stretch you as much.

Stretch your pecs, not your shoulders. Do this by adjusting the angle your elbow makes. Try keeping your arms a bit straighter.

Also, are you gripping the handles or pushing with your palms?
    Well, the pin is at the setting where it's straight, so my arms make a 180 degree angle. The pin also goes back so my arms would make a reflex angle.

I'll try keeping my arms straight.

I grip the handles and bring them together. If I need to for the last one or I want to try and squeeze one more out, I'll push with my palms.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Wat_Ward View Post
    That can't be it, because this has only started happening recently... maybe in the last 4 or 5 weeks. Before then, I could do it fine.
    How long were you doing it fine for before that? If you are stressing the tendons and in affect developing tendonitis; it is a chronic condition as opposed to an acute one, so it can take quite a long time to develop.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'll try keeping my arms straight.
    your not suppose to keep your arms straight lol thats your problem right there give them a slight bend
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    How long were you doing it fine for before that? If you are stressing the tendons and in affect developing tendonitis; it is a chronic condition as opposed to an acute one, so it can take quite a long time to develop.
    Ever since grade 9. So... for 5 years. Even after I stopped exercising, and then got back into it in Spring of 2007, it was fine.

Originally Posted by Big Arm Big Pay View Post
    your not suppose to keep your arms straight lol thats your problem right there give them a slight bend
    Well, I haven't been keeping them straight, I said I'd try it because the other guy brought it up. So I'll keep them bent.

bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100)
    On the pec fly machine, for some reason, whenever I do it now, I get pains in the back of my arms... near the triceps and sometimes on the rear delts and my upper back. I always have to dismount really slowly and stop tensing really slowly to make the pain subside as quickly as possible. Why does this happen?
    The machine can cause injuries for some people. I'm not a big proponent of flyes anyway, but if you really must do them, stick with dbs.
    "If you can squat heavy and have solid sh*ts, what more can you ask of life?"
    Jon Paul Sigmarsson - WSM winner

Vote for Pedro

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos

Hardgainer/HIT resource list: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=54936191&postcount=131

PLUS www.ironaddicts.com