Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nathan*1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nathan*1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein and Hot Water?

Hey guys,

I was wanting to know if it is ok to take protein wit hot water? i was thinking that you might be able to get the most from your protein this way because it would probably all disolve. Would hot water effect the protein in any way? would the dissolving of the protein actually effect it? sorry is this is a stupid question
    So much food, So little Time!!

cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Protein powder i presume?
    Well on most of the protein powder jars etc they say mix with water to get the best effects, personally i dont drink water, so i just mix it with water and just neck it straight away.
    I don't think mixing it with warm water will effect it, not tooo sure tho, but mix it with milk to get best benefits, if you like milk
    I DO EVERYTHING FOR THE LULZ, SON.

aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The hot water would destroy any biological microfractions in the protein so this is a bad idea
    Height:5'6
    Weight:103 lbs
    Push Ups:75
    Chin-Ups:17
    Bench Press:100 lbs
    Leg Press:230 lbs

cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cupra16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^ what about cold water
    I DO EVERYTHING FOR THE LULZ, SON.

aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aqualime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    No, cold water is fine
    Height:5'6
    Weight:103 lbs
    Push Ups:75
    Chin-Ups:17
    Bench Press:100 lbs
    Leg Press:230 lbs

E-stats: 6'5" 575lbs 6%BF cheezefacta's Avatar
    cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cold water also dumps into your system faster than warm water...that and warm water + whey sounds ****ing horrible.

Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wow

Originally Posted by aqualime
    The hot water would destroy any biological microfractions in the protein so this is a bad idea
    15yr old science major, i'm impressed

if you could drink the water it probly isn't hot enough to destroy the protein, but once again, i' not the expert ^^^he is

qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) qw3r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    run a search on "denature"

there have been plenty of threads on heating whey protein and its supposed detrimental effects. basically its said to be not as good as with cold water, but still better than nothing and wont hurt you.

i personally like to mix 1/2 - 3/4 scoop of whey with my oatmeal AFTER i cook it.

Baseball61 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baseball61 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by cheezefacta
    Cold water also dumps into your system faster than warm water...that and warm water + whey sounds ****ing horrible.
    It takes time and energy for your body to warm up that cold water to 98.6..
    Dumps faster?
    height 6 weight 158

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by aqualime
    I highly doubt that it will get denatured by hot water.
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by qw3r
    "denature"
    yep thats the key word right there...the heat physically breaks down the bonds which connect the amino acids in the protein and also break up the 3D folding pattern...in other words, drink your protein with cold water
    Last edited by dance2trance; 01-21-2006 at 12:08 AM.
    BPhysio, BBiomed Sci (Hons)

Current supps (cutting):
    - Universal Ultra Whey Pro
    - Gaspari Size-On Pre Contest
    - Universal Animal Rage (currently off)
    - VPX Power Shock (currently on)
    - My gym music playlist
    - My Animal shirt :P

Need to calculate your cutting/bulking calories? Try my Daily Calorie Calculator:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137277813

greid4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greid4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greid4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greid4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greid4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greid4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For the most part, your body breaks down the protein you take in into amino acids and builds what it needs on it's own anyway. Besides, your water would have to be pretty damn hot for it to denature most protein bonds, and if it did, then you'd be dumping an unfolded amino acid chain into your system. No harm there.

BIG-BOSS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sure why don't u just spread it on some toast and put in the toaster

Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Never2cut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    not a bad question actually, I've considered heating up some milk and mixing it with my-pre bed mix. would be similar to hot chocolate i think/hope. might have to try it tonight.
    Gettin Crazy With MANIAC
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124569791

Completed Logs:
    *Never2Cut gets ripped on HGH Pro*
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123500261
    *(x)Never2Cut's MuscleXplosion brought to you by VasoXplode!!(x)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2166821\
    *Primal EAA and Nitrobolic Extreme
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=867559
    *Vaporize and Scorch Remix
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=76841

E-stats: 6'5" 575lbs 6%BF cheezefacta's Avatar
    cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Baseball61
    It takes time and energy for your body to warm up that cold water to 98.6..
    Dumps faster?
    Yes, I had a class about the body in college and we talked about this subject...we went over this fact several times and the body does allow cold water to 'dump' in faster than warm water. It came up because one of the questions was "why do i feel hydrated quicker when drinking cold water over warm water"...

ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ck37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    during the winter months, i find it hard to go the cold water ice route when it comes to protein shakes. So i tend to make hot protein cocoa drinks instead. The key is to find a powder that A. tastes good and B) mixes easily in water.

Whats interesting I found is there are a few powders that mix right in with just adding a scoop to hot water, while others need to be added to luke warm water, blended slightly, and then heated up for a couple of minutes.

I also add unsweetened cocoa powder (favorite so far is Droste unsweetened cocoa powder) and stevia or splenda for additional sweetness. Also cinnamon for a nice addtional kick)
    No real need for milk unless you really want it.

No negative effects so far. Only problem is one cup is usually so good I want a second

Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000)
    what about boling the hell out of whey, like making a pot of tea?

I couldn't resist...

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if you can drink it, its not hot enough to denature the protein. plus, all types of cooking denatures protein, so unless you eat raw eggs and chicken breast like the chick in million dollar baby, we all eat denatured protein. as long as your eating 1.5 grams per pound of lbm, you should be getting enough extra to make up the difference. plus, chocolate protein mixed with hot water tastes like hot chocolate.

hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Shutup
    what about boling the hell out of whey, like making a pot of tea?

I couldn't resist...
    Yea I wouldn't suggest actually boiling the water with whey in it, or mixing whey with boiling water (anything under boiling should be fine)...I made that mistake when I was using Micelean Edge Chocolate+PB Protein Powder before bed and it was cold out and they were my last two scoops and I figured what the heck it will probably taste like hot chocolate, I mixed in the protein and it all clumped to the top even after mixing it forever, and when I did manage to choke it down it tasted like burnt...well burnt something I can't even describe it. But if that sounds appetizing then go for it lol!

boco del toro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    cooking and heat do denature proteins, however only at the second, third and fourth protein structural level. creating a physical change in third structure shape can negatively impact on the function of proteins to a certain degree, however for consumption purposes, we need to be more concerned with the breaking down of primary structures of proteins. These can only be broken down by hydrolysis. The peptide bonds holding the amino acids in place will only seperate with water. therfore - heat can in part have a negative impact on the function of protein, however to fully break proteins apart, hydrolysis is required, not heat.

Shorty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shorty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by boco del toro
    cooking and heat do denature proteins, however only at the second, third and fourth protein structural level. creating a physical change in third structure shape can negatively impact on the function of proteins to a certain degree, however for consumption purposes, we need to be more concerned with the breaking down of primary structures of proteins. These can only be broken down by hydrolysis. The peptide bonds holding the amino acids in place will only seperate with water. therfore - heat can in part have a negative impact on the function of protein, however to fully break proteins apart, hydrolysis is required, not heat.

YEAH! What he said!
    -=Shorty=-

pitch28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pitch28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pitch28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pitch28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pitch28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    del toro is right.

When you cook eggs or chicken, you're denaturing the protein but only on the physical level (I forget the technical terms of the bonds and arrangements). The look/texture changes but the available protein is still there.

jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Jesus Christ.

A cow's body temperature is, on average, 101.5 degrees Farenheit.

The protein while it's in the cow is not denaturing at that termperature. I seriously doubt that the protein is going to denature at a drinkable temperature.

And furthermore, people make way too big a deal about denaturing. Let's remember that when eggs go from clear to white on the frying pan, it's because the proteins are being denatured. Any protein source that you eat that is cooked, like meat, chicken, eggs, fish, etc. I'm pretty sure that those are still good sources of protein for bodybuilding purposes.

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by cupra16
    Protein powder i presume?
    Well on most of the protein powder jars etc they say mix with water to get the best effects, personally i dont drink water, so i just mix it with water and just neck it straight away.
    I don't think mixing it with warm water will effect it, not tooo sure tho, but mix it with milk to get best benefits, if you like milk
    You put it in milk even post workout?
    Ravens fan and Gators fan 4 life

***Florida Gators Crew***

halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) halfcoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know how it would taste either I can't even think about drinking a hot vannilla protien shake YUCK!!!!! I will stick to my cold water.

Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    30g of chocolate ON Whey in a cup of hot water and milk. Sounds like a healthy coco drink.
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlatinumPlus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    if protein is 'denatured' when hot then what about the protein in my steak when i get it well done? and also why would muscle milk's mocha joe says "try it hot!" on the label?
    Bench: 330 Raw, Touch & go, w/ controlled negative.
    Deadlift: 410 Raw
    Squat: 355 Raw, Deep Squat, past parrallel
    Arm Curl 125 Perfect form
    Bicep 15 3/4" (Have not arm curled in over 5 months, so size and strength in curls dropped)

At Peak:
    Barbell Preacher Curl: 145 X 1 (March 21 2006)
    Bicep: 17" (March 24 2006)
    5'8" 204 Lbs @ 21% est. BF *Start Date November 1st 2005*

*Never argue with an Idiot... they drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experience!*

TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TimoteoS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    MRM Metabolic Whey in hot water is better than hot chocolate!

RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude just mix it with cold water and be on the safe side. If you're worried about it not dissolving in cold water, just add more cold water.

I used to mix my ON 100% Chocolate Whey protein in the winter with room temp milk. Then i would heat it in the microwave, it tastes sooo good especially in the winter coz u dont wnana drink something cold. THe microwave might have done something to the protein so i stopoed.

Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Red face

This is the closest example in understandable English I could find..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asgur...ng/index.shtml

Muscle Milk has a flavor of protein called Mocha Joe and it suggests you microwave it for 30-60 seconds for a real Mocha Joe effect. I hardly doubt they would suggest something like that, if it caused the protein to denature and be next to useless. I would just stick to drinking it cold ^agree with if you can drink it it's not hot enough to denature.
    Last edited by Amino89; 06-18-2006 at 11:36 AM.