justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

protein and kidney stones

like, are bodybuilders more likely to develop kidney stones than other people? due to the high protein diets? what do you think about this

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    eh kind of a toss up. In reality it is not known for certain why exactly people get kidney stones. But many people think it is due to dehydration, or at least that is part of it. If so, then bbers should be in a better position than normal people.

also some docs think they are very very genetic. Until there is really sufficient evidence of why exactly people get them it is hard to say.

AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yep, i second what flex says...also watch calcium intake. when i busted my leg, i took calcium to help with bone repair....yeah, apparently i took too much. kidney stones. it sucks really bad. just an FYI.

Rustling your jimmies ll ReNeGaDe ll's Avatar
    ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000) ll ReNeGaDe ll is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AangleN
    yep, i second what flex says...also watch calcium intake. when i busted my leg, i took calcium to help with bone repair....yeah, apparently i took too much. kidney stones. it sucks really bad. just an FYI.
    you mean calcium supplements or calcium from food?

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ll ReNeGaDe ll
    you mean calcium supplements or calcium from food?
    From what I've read, it's mostly from calcium supplements, due to the lack of oxalate (bonds to make CaC204 I think it was) which doesn't pass into the kidneys. I wrote a bit on it, but it definitely is still inconclusive as to exactly determining what causes them to occur:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=6924359

To the original poster, with a high protein diet, certainly be taking in adequate amounts of water, as it may help reduce potential risk of kidney stone formation. I don't know how much correlation there is to high protein diets are to stone formation.
    Last edited by TinyMan; 01-20-2006 at 12:33 PM.
    I remember being relevant.

justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TinyMan
    From what I've read, it's mostly from calcium supplements, due to the lack of oxalate (bonds to make CaC204 I think it was) which doesn't pass into the kidneys. I wrote a bit on it, but it definitely is still inconclusive as to exactly determining what causes them to occur:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=6924359

To the original poster, with a high protein diet, certainly be taking in adequate amounts of water, as it may help reduce potential risk of kidney stone formation. I don't know how much correlation there is to high protein diets are to stone formation.
    oh okay i guess im safe then.. i dont know a single person who drinks as much as me (water plus tea)

halls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    High protein diets can flush too much calcium away from the body. High protein diets cause an increase in calcium loss in the urine. Over a lifetime this loss can be unhealthy particularly for women who need adequate levels of calcium to protect against the bone thinning disease osteoporosis.

Excess dietary protein is rough on the kidneys. The kidneys process the nitrogen wastes generated by protein metabolism. A system overloaded with protein interferes with the kidneys' ability to properly eliminate these wastes, possibly setting the stage for kidney disease.
    -Susan Kleiner " Power Eating 1999"

In this context she refers to high protein diets such as Atkins. She also mentions how a high protein diet is very dehydrating which would put additional strain on the kidneys. And with the preceding paragraph concerning calcium loss in the urine basically sets the stage for kidney stone formation. Like, Dehydration + major calcium loss in urine = formation of stones.
    Hope this helps