backup220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vertical or angled leg press or

I'm thinking of purchasing a leg press to add to my home gym but am not sure on getting a vertical one or an angled sled. Right now I am leaning towards a vertical style because of the smaller footprint and lower cost. Are there any benefits to the angled ones rather than the vertical styles.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How about a vertical one with an angle?

I have this one and it works very well and it's very compact. Just need to grease the slide rods and it works great.

http://www.yukon-fitness.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=LB
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've never been a fan of the vertical leg press. It does work your muscles pretty well. However in order to get a full range of motion you need to elevate your hips off the pad and round your lower spine. That is just asking for injury. In order to prevent your hips coming off the pad you need to stop 3/4 into your range of motion. So you either cheat or increase the probability of injury tremendously.

Stick with angled.

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I know Lee Haney is a big fan of the vertical leg press. Personally I've never tried one but I really can't see the advantage. It seems to me the vertical leg press would more closely mimic the squat, which you're probably doing anyway. The point of the leg press is to isolate the quads with as much power as possible, and I believe the angled version will achieve this to a much greater degree.

Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lamdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a quick question - where should I place my feet in order to get the most work out of my quads? I have been placing them near the top edge of the platform, but I think that works my hams and glutes more than quads.

backup220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the input. I was actually looking at that Yukon vertical/angled press and will likely get one.

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Lamdun
    a quick question - where should I place my feet in order to get the most work out of my quads? I have been placing them near the top edge of the platform, but I think that works my hams and glutes more than quads.
    I've read this, but to me it doesn't make sense, and in my opinion the opposite is true, that when I place my feet higher I get more isolation of the quads. I think the answer is to experiment and feel where the work is going on your body, that's really the only way to know. If you think placing your feet at the top works hams and glutes more it's probably true (added to which it meshes with at least one thing I've read).

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Lamdun
    Feet high will work the hams. Feet lower and together works the outer sweep more. Feet lower and wider apart with toes pointing outward more works the inner thigh and tear drop more.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Perc3nt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AHHHH the Angled Leg Press, arguabley my favorite workout. A leg press is always one of the best if not the best machines to have a part in your home gym. Definately go with the Angled, much more comfortable, much more practical then a vertical. BTW I've used the consumer version of the Nautilus Leg Press/Hack Squat as well as the Body Craft Leg Press/Hack Squat. Both were excellent machines, but they were both over $1,200.00 as well.

I'm pretty sure something like this would be worth while.....
    http://www.buyfitnessonline.com/cata...roducts_id=298

It's not the cheapest alternative to Leg Press units, but its FAR from the most expensive. And on top of that its from a respectable company and its ANGLED!!!

rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have an oppurtunity to get a really nice husky angled leg press ($899.00 new) for like $350.00 locally. Would it even be worth the money if I already have a squat rack and smith machine along with a leg curl/extension machine?
    In addition to the money space is getting a little tight. It seems to me that the above mentioned machines which I have would already take care of the legs.

Thanks!

True that squats are one of the best leg exercises around, but if you can make space, that's a pretty good price for an angled leg press assuming it's in good working condition.

You never know when an injury can occur or when you get tired of squats for a while. That's when a leg press can come in handy.

Do you need it? No. Should you get it? Yes if you can afford it and make the space.

JOSEPHLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JOSEPHLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JOSEPHLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JOSEPHLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JOSEPHLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JOSEPHLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JOSEPHLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yukon Fitness? Are they reputible? They have one of the best prices for the 5-50lb set of dumbbells around.. Do they rape you on shipping though?

I've gotten several pieces from Yukon Fitness. Never had a problem. When one of my seats broke on one of the machines, I just called them up and I had a replacement in a couple of days.