Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Is rowing on an erg machine good cardio?

I will be cutting soon when The spring semester begins, and whenever I go to the gym the treadmills are always full, and its winter so I really dont wanna run outside.

Last year, I did HIIT on an elyptical. I would go at a decent pace for 1 min. and then go all out for 20 seconds, and I kept doing it for 15 mins. then had a 5 minute cooldown (going at a slow pace). Would this work if I was rowing on a machine as well?

FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000)
    for losing weight, probably not as good. arms wear out a lot faster than legs.

OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) OpolE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Hell yea, you see some of the fitest guys do rowing and have ok upper body strength with it too, seriously do rowing as part of ur workout

Registered User readyforthepain's Avatar
    readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000) readyforthepain is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by FROGGBUSTER View Post
    x2 .............

Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike1208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no...rowing is one of the best cardio workouts you can do...from what I have heard. If you feel your arms getting tired just put more force on your legs. Also you can (some machines) set the depth which can make it easyer or harder. Seriously tho u can crank out some serious calories on that thing.

deviante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deviante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deviante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deviante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deviante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deviante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rowing may help you lose fat but it will also fucq your arms...
    on the journey

FRANK MCGRATH RULES!

JCline313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCline313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCline313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCline313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCline313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCline313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i actually rowed in high school and its a hell of a good cardio workout. if you do it right, you should actually be using your legs more than your arms
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

2err is human,2erg is not badocter's Avatar
    badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) badocter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The drive is 80% legs. If your arms are tiring first you're probably bending your arms while you are still driving with the legs -- only bend the arms at the end when the legs are near fully extended. Bending arms too early significantly decreases the effectiveness of the leg drive -- just think how well a deadlift would go with bent arms.

The erg is great cardio and there are well established statistics for men and women in all age ranges as well as a significant community focused on racing

http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.asp
    http://www.c2ctc.com/
    http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/challenges/
    Last edited by badocter; 01-26-2008 at 06:52 AM.
    My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=218841921
    38, 6'2", 185.0#
    www.freespiritsrowing.com
    erg tests: 500m-1:31.0, 1k-3:18.2, mile-5:33.5, 2k-6:54.9, 5k-18:05.8,
    6k-22:09.2, 30'-8025m, 10k-37:33.3, 60'-15695m, HM-1:23:43.6

tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomyuk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah its really good cardio.

I'm a rower and you shouldn't really feel it in your arms. The drive starts with the legs and you only use the arms at the end of the stroke and leanback. you might wanna get your technique right cus i see A LOT of people in the gym rowing the wrong way.

johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johnrich69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hell yea it's a good machine.
    You're never too old to be the person that you were meant to be.

rowing.guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FROGGBUSTER View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about. Rowing is done with the legs. And yes, it's an amazing cardio exercise since it involves the whole body (like cross country skiing). Why do you think rowers have the highest V02 max numbers out of any endurance athletes?

Rowing = 80% Legs.

Notice the quads...
    Attached Images