Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I Can't Do Squats

Hey!

I can't do ass to the grass squats! I go half way, then my heels go up or i loose my balance.
    I'm 6'3 and i know its hard for tall people to do these exercises, but I was wondering if i could get any advice or any exercises i could do to increase my flexibilty (I'm assuming thats the problem) or my balance.

Thanks

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    SQUAT, don't bend over. Keep your back up and your knees over your feet. Look slightly up to keep your weight back. I'm 6'3" as well and I can do them, so you can too... Use less weight if you have to.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

vuduchyld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Melkor
    Use less weight if you have to.
    ...and you have to! Go with an empty bar until you get your form right. Doing a good squat is essential in the long run if you want to maximize your development.

juise69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im not sure if this works for someone your height, considering im 5'11'' tops, but it is essential you keep your back straight, head up, and have complete control of the bar. If you think your balance needs works, just look up some exercises you can do pre-squats and the stronger your legs get, the more control you will have over them. At least thats what happened to me....

o yea, you can also use spotters to help you keep your balance if its that bad

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Flexibilty is important for being able to get the full range of motion on squats. I'm a trainer, and during a development program for my job, one of the managers told me that I was too inflexible in my hip flexors to go below parallel on squats. Work on you flexibility. Until then, go as low as you can go. The lighter the weight is, the lower you can go. Keep working on your flexibility, and you will eventually be able to break parallel with the weight that you want to. I know, it's frustrating, but that's what you have to do. I have the same problem, and I'm only between 6'0 and 6'1 (I have very long legs for my height).

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't know if this is right. But the guy who runs my gym told me to do them as if I was sitting down on a chair.

bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by bignbuff
    I don't know if this is right. But the guy who runs my gym told me to do them as if I was sitting down on a chair.
    this is a pl squat... you could do them this way or go atf with really light weights focusing on flexibility....

PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Dude.. squats

When you squat make sure your butt, and rest of your body are over your heels and ankles... makes it so much easier....
    Stats are gone
    Ask o'er msn or aim

Powerlifting is cool ^_^

How many 120lb chics do you know that can bench 145?

Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Our kind has never been seen before.
    And when the last of us are gone,
    We will never be seen again.
    Because there is a secret behind our creation,
    And secrets like this only come around once.

Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: I Can't Do Squats

Originally posted by Mark142
    Hey!

I can't do ass to the grass squats! I go half way, then my heels go up or i loose my balance.
    I'm 6'3 and i know its hard for tall people to do these exercises,
    Thanks
    ok, I hear this a lot, it must be something a short person can't understand, so someone try to explain it to my 5'6" short ass. Why would it be any harder to a tall person than a short person? your body is just as big in every way proportionally, is the ceiling to low or something? Do you have to bend differently? I just don't understand why a squat would be harder and everything else be the same.
    People who go around pretending to know everything are annoying those of us who really do.

Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Let me start off by saying, I am 6'2 and I have no problem with doing squats. This is hypothetical, but compare someone who is say 4'6 to someone 7' even. Clearly the shorter person will have better balance due to the old lower center of gravity concept. ROM is also decreased for someone that is shorter. I suppose this is why shorter people tend to squat more weight in general (look @ powerlifting). A shorter person does not have to move the weight as far.

And to answer your qtn, everything else but squats is not at all the same. Biomechanics does in fact play a huge role in lifting. Certainly it effects how much you can lift and I do not think it is too much of a stretch to say it can alter the difficulty of some movements.

As an example ppl with shorter arms in relation to their torso length are gonna have a harder time deadlifting. Many other comparisons are possible.

Perhaps it is just a weight issue and not a form issue, but I tend to think it is both
    Our kind has never been seen before.
    And when the last of us are gone,
    We will never be seen again.
    Because there is a secret behind our creation,
    And secrets like this only come around once.

bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigmark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Hey!

I'm 6'3 and i know its hard for tall people to do these exercises, but I was wondering if i could get any advice or any exercises i could do to increase my flexibilty (I'm assuming thats the problem) or my balance.

Thanks
    Try looking up at about 45-degree angle when squatting. Or try doing Smith machine squats -- it's impossible to lean forward.
    Drink milk.

PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PLAngel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: I Can't Do Squats

Originally posted by bigmark
    Try looking up at about 45-degree angle when squatting. Or try doing Smith machine squats -- it's impossible to lean forward.
    Don't forget to look up! I do it naturally.... but don't you forget to do it !!
    Stats are gone
    Ask o'er msn or aim

Powerlifting is cool ^_^

How many 120lb chics do you know that can bench 145?

Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000)

Doing back/leg extensions on a flat or preferably extension bench should drastically improve your flexibility.

Hey!

Thanks

Inzah Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try a slightly wider stance maybe. Point your toes out a bit. Just try different ways, without any wiehgt until you can go throught hte motion properly.

Joshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would advise against using the smith machine at least until you have the form down. The smith, like all machines, is probably not what you want to spend most of your time on. If you learn bad form in the smith, you'll be screwed the rest of the time you work with free weights.